User CSS mode (like opera)

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Good enough. The sidebar links are still pushed off the edge of the screen, but I can see all the comments without scrolling.
Chris Cook

Post by Chris Cook »

Jesse wrote:chris cook: It's also because this forum uses a table-heavy layout. Forums that use CSS layouts do not suffer from this problem. In a CSS layout, the long line would create a scrollbar, but other lines (and lines in other posts) would not be affected, so you would only need to use the horizontal scrollbar to read the post with the long line in it.

I agree. MZ should switch to a forum that makes better use of CSS.

In the meantime however, lets try to deal with what we have.
Chris Cook

Post by Chris Cook »

Netsabes wrote:
Jesse wrote:netsabes: The page is still a little wide for me (maximized Phoenix @ 800x600).
And now?
(sorry, I'm using 1280*1024, I assumed it'd be fine in lower resolutions too)

Not everyone surfs full screen either (what?!?). I am at 1280x1024 right now but I frequently surf with my browser not fullscreen. Why? Because most webpages are not designed for 1280 res and many webpages are poorly designed so they don't fill the screen anyway.
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

I use and love the test styles bookmarklet (you rock jesse), but I don't think it really gets the spirit of the request. There should be a button that forces a page to the settings in the Fonts & Colors panel.

It should toggle on and off.

This would be for those times when you hit ugly/ hard to read home pages, you usually want to travel through several pages to find what you're looking for, hence the toggle. You could also dig through the prefs and toggle the settings but you don't want to do that for one page only to undo the settings when you've found what you're looking for.

The remaining issue is whether it should apply to only the current tab or to all tabs. This depends on whether it's a power user feature or a n00b feature.

I don't know how the Opera system works, but this is how I'd like to see this feature implemented.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

grayrest wrote:It should toggle on and off.

This would be for those times when you hit ugly/ hard to read home pages, you usually want to travel through several pages to find what you're looking for, hence the toggle.

Or it could be site-specific. Then you wouldn't have to click the button a second time to turn it off when you leave the site, and you wouldn't have to click it each time you visit the site.
dunda

Post by dunda »

I like the way opera does it.
It remembers the settings for that tab, and any new tabs that are spawned follow the setting of the parent tab.
richwklein

Post by richwklein »

This extension has a basic page css which removes the style. http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/altstyle.xpi
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Chris Cook wrote:
Jesse wrote:chris cook: It's also because this forum uses a table-heavy layout. Forums that use CSS layouts do not suffer from this problem. In a CSS layout, the long line would create a scrollbar, but other lines (and lines in other posts) would not be affected, so you would only need to use the horizontal scrollbar to read the post with the long line in it.

I agree. MZ should switch to a forum that makes better use of CSS.

In the meantime however, lets try to deal with what we have.

Ok, here's a <a href="http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html#force_wrap">"force wrap"</a> bookmarklet. It's more reliable in IE than in Mozilla, though, because of a Mozilla bug (or bugs) involving rewrapping.