Quick-start feature?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox

Would a Quick-start feature be worthwhile?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 51

Orbite

Post by Orbite »

I never liked the idea of giving allocating cpu ressource to a program that is not doing anything.

Quick start is aimed at slow computers but those same computers are the one who need the most to be free of resident-hidden-doing-nothing processes.

Besides, my life never got treathen because my browser couldn't start 0.03sec faster.

_____
« Who me? a free loader? »
Robert W

Post by Robert W »

shimage wrote:oh, and i don't like the "<insert object> is cheap, just buy more of it" solution. it just irritates me that people assume that i have money to throw around like that... i mean, if i could afford it, wouldn't i already have it? what if i wanna use phoenix on an old computer?

Beyond finical consideration the resources are cheap mentality has started to dominate the industry. People seam to think optimizing code is a waist of time. Personally I find that optimizing my code is where I find 60% of my bugs. Not to mention you will help to prolong the life of computers. I mean how much do you really need a Web browser or a Wordprocessor to do? It boggles my mind that the MSWord XP requires a PIII :shock: and 128MB of ram.

I think it is high time we all started using <a href=http://www.qnx.com/developer/download/free/>QNX</a> ;)

-Robert W.
djnr

Post by djnr »

Okay okay you win! :) I won't insist on a windows-only, buggy, cpu-hogging feature that no one else wants. I'm all for democracy.

So will the "-turbo" command line option be removed from future releases? If so, I might just stick with Phoenix 0.4 - it does everything I want, though I'd love to use a more trimmed-down future version.

Is it conceivable that quickstart could be made an extension/plugin what-have-you in the future?

Let me apologize again for saying that everyone had tons of cheap free RAM. However, this is an option that only ties up RAM if people want it to.
djst

Post by djst »

djnrempel wrote:I might just stick with Phoenix 0.4 - it does everything I want, though I'd love to use a more trimmed-down future version.

Part of trimming a future version down is to remove unused or unneeded features. QuickLaunch is one of them. You can't have the cake and eat it at the same time ;)
Last edited by djst on November 6th, 2002, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

djnrempel wrote:Is it conceivable that quickstart could be made an extension/plugin what-have-you in the future?

Hopefully it's possible. That is, after all, the point of extensions vs built-in features.

- Chris
clav

Post by clav »

thumperward wrote:
djnrempel wrote:Is it conceivable that quickstart could be made an extension/plugin what-have-you in the future?

Hopefully it's possible. That is, after all, the point of extensions vs built-in features.

Of course all the add-ons we currently have available are in the chrome/ui, which this wouldn't be. It would be interesting to see if someone could write this as an extension
lah

Persist option

Post by lah »

What I want is a -persist option. It should do:

- make the window newer be used to show 'external' url:s (from mail or other).

- make the window not close when the browser is quited... only when the window is explicit closed.

The use whold be to open smal webpages or XUL apps to put in the windowmanagers panel.

Shold give the quicklanch as a sideefect i guess, but thats not realy what I'm after. I want to use Phoenix/Mozilla to build my desktop ;-)

/LaH