Automatic tab opening

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
martyvan

Automatic tab opening

Post by martyvan »

Hi, all. I am not sure if this is a bug or some setting I just need to change, but when I do an image search in Google, I will right-click an image and Open in New Tab. Within a few seconds I will have 4-10 additional tabs open with random images from the Google search result. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? It's not a virus or any other sort of malware; I have Avast! AV and Superantispyware installed, updated, and run them weekly. This has been going on for about a month (it also happened with Firefox 52).

I am running updated Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 53.0 32-bit, and the aforementioned security software. Thanks for any help you can offer.
DanRaisch

Re: Automatic tab opening

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
martyvan

Post by martyvan »

It doesn't seem to. I only tested two searches. My only addons are New Tab Override which stops Firefox from opening a new tab with every site I have visited recently, instead letting me select about:blank, and Stylish with one theme I've been using since about FF 49. Not sure why either one would automatically open several tabs that I didn't choose.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You might try creating a new profile and seeing if the issue exists in that environment. If not, add the extension and test, then add Stylish and its theme and test to see if the problem returns.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

which stops Firefox from opening a new tab with every site I have visited recently
Just a FYI ... I have the below prefs setting set to false... and when I open a new tab it automatically shows a blank page...

Code: Select all

browser.newtabpage.enabled
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
martyvan

Post by martyvan »

Thanks dfoulkes. It seems to be working :D
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You're Welcome! :D
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!