Getting a lot of TLS handshake errors!

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Deuce7

Getting a lot of TLS handshake errors!

Post by Deuce7 »

I don't know what went wrong with Firefox, as this problem seems to have happened very RECENTLY.

I am now getting a lot of "Performing TLS handshake to XYZ website" and CANNOT load the requested content of the website. For example, I cannot load half the page of Fiverr.com because some content on the site is "Performing a TLS handshake".

YET, Chrome has no issues.

Some websites fail to load completely, while some can only load half the page.........unless I use Firefox private browsing, but even then, this TLS handshake error will strike again, even in private mode.

SERIOUS ISSUE and I don't know what is wrong with Firefox, because I NEVER seen this "performing TLS handshake message" before, ever....
Last edited by Deuce7 on July 24th, 2017, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Getting a lot of TLS handshake errors!

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.

Clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Firefox will "Use custom settings for History"->Show Cookies button).
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

flverr.com opens fine here.

As a guess, your anti-virus program received an update and is interfering with your access to secure (https) sites.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

DanRaisch wrote:Moving to Firefox Support.

Clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Firefox will "Use custom settings for History"->Show Cookies button).
Did all that, but to no avail. The thing is, I have never noticed this "Performing TLS handshake to so and so website" message in the lower left corner, at any point in time before this.

Now what is weird is that for the case of that Fiverr.com website, Chrome is the only browser that can load up the site, Firefox, IE and Opera fail to do so (right now).

But I admit that I am also having weird connection issues with some big sites, like Pixabay.com, which cannot be loaded in both Chrome and Firefox. Chrome will just simply say that the website failed to load, while Firefox will perform the TLS handshake until eternity.

But I am sure Firefox is iffy in some way, because I have failed to login to Fiverr for the past 1 or 1.5 years now, all of a sudden (there are posts and Youtube videos even talking about this if you search in Google).

Whenever I want to go to Fiverr, I simply use Chrome. No wonder Chrome is the leading browser now, although I am (still) a hardcore Firefox user. But maybe that will change........sigh.

I've been using Firefox for well over 10 years now, almost exclusively.

I am not technically skilled, but please take a look at this "TLS handshake perpetual loop" issue.
Last edited by Deuce7 on July 24th, 2017, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

Fixed, in FF 55 - if I'm reading it correctly, Bug 1363223 No Full Page load, stuck in "Performing a TLS handshake" with CDNs with new Firefox profiles.

But then there are seemingly other similar bugs that are yet to be resolved, Bug 1056341 mozilla::pkix spends too much time attempting to build a valid path when there are many possible paths.

Recently.

I too would think, A/V.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

My AV is Avast and I think Avast did an update recently.....

But nothing has changed on my end. I'm using Windows Firewall and Windows 7.

So the solution is to deactivate the Avast?

Do these Avast guys even know about the problem? Or should Firefox contact them?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I am not technically skilled, but please take a look at this "TLS handshake perpetual loop" issue.
and
Do these Avast guys even know about the problem? Or should Firefox contact them?
Just so things are clear here, this forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.
If Avast is involved in the problem, it would normally be up to Avast to resolve the issue as browser developers do not guarantee compatibility with any particular anti-virus software. It's the anti-virus makers who are responsible for maintaining compatibility with major browsers.

It may be that changing some setting in Avast would be enough to resolve the issue. You could check the Avast Forums to see if this issue is being reported by others and if a solution has been identified.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

fiverr has a valid (comodo) cert. its avast, again the antivirus with its ssl interference. uninstall avast or get avast support. no firefox issues.
btw chrome uses system cert store, firefox have its own store. most people dont know. it is much easier to insert a system cert then into firefox.
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

Well, I don't think it's an AV issue, because I just switched off the Avast, and yet still getting the same problems.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
As "makaiguy" posted...
As a guess, your anti-virus program received an update and is interfering with your access to secure (https) sites.
So.... open AVAST & in the Settings > Components > Web Shield & turn off/un-check "HTTPS" scanning.
It's been noted in their fora to cause a few problems.
Turning it off, does not stop it scanning in the back ground.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
As "makaiguy" posted...
So.... open AVAST & in the Settings > Components > Web Shield & turn off/un-check "HTTPS" scanning.
It's been noted in their fora to cause a few problems.
Turning it off, does not stop it scanning in the back ground.
Just did it (turned off HTTPS scanning), but did not work :(
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Seeing as more browsers than Firefox are affected, this is being moved to the Tech. fora...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Seeing as more browsers than Firefox are affected, this is being moved to the Tech. fora...
I also developed a new issue, after clearing my cache, all the URL addresses that used to be automatically populated in Firefox by simply keying in the first few letters are now gone.

I've tried rekeying them again and again and again to build back the "cache" (is this what you call it?), but somehow it's not working so far. ](*,)

Even a simple address like Google.com needs me to key in the whole thing. It's a big problem now and I hope this is not the new behavior from Firefox :( :(

Remember History is still on.......but it is NOT remembering URLs!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Check that the location bar settings are still configured to make suggestions from history.
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

Latest update:

This TLS handshake loop is still bugging me a lot. One new observation is this - For the website Pixabay.com I have an existing account, and yesterday after I cleared my cookies and cache, I was of course logged out.

And then, Firefox could load the website, MINUS the images which were all on CDNs.

Today, I cannot even load Pixabay at all, as it has gone back to the TLS handshake eternal loop.

I am inferring that this has everything to do with Firefox mechanism of accessing HTTPS CDNs and not a result of my AV or Windows 7 firewall or anything else.

Really need a FIX soon..........

This problem only began the last several days.