MozillaZine

refreshing firefox is currently a bad idea

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Brummelchen

Post Posted August 31st, 2017, 8:13 am

some help includes the profile refresh. but unfortunately there exist a bug in firefox 55 which leads to lost bookmarks and history when doing this way.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings

bugreport:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1388611

fixed in v56

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 31st, 2017, 8:26 am

"Refresh" has always been a bad idea. Not sure why it was introduced when creating a new profile provided the same results but with less confusion.

Brummelchen

Post Posted August 31st, 2017, 9:44 am

refresh is a welcome firefox option - not all users are familiar with opening %appdata%\mozilla\profiles - in some cases they wont see all files.

but - i would prefer copied files to a new profile (by firefox) instead this desktop folder, because same people run into same trouble while copying files back. so they just switch profiles and all is back. <-- i had this in mind last year while writing my own firefox backup but i never implemented it.

best ever is a (regular) backup of that folder.

James

Post Posted September 1st, 2017, 2:25 pm

Brummelchen wrote:refresh is a welcome firefox option - not all users are familiar with opening %appdata%\mozilla\profiles - in some cases they wont see all files.

but - i would prefer copied files to a new profile (by firefox) instead this desktop folder, because same people run into same trouble while copying files back. so they just switch profiles and all is back. <-- i had this in mind last year while writing my own firefox backup but i never implemented it.

best ever is a (regular) backup of that folder.

The Refresh has not been a welcome option nor has it been great.

The problem is it is not clear of what it does as many users are lead to believe that Refresh will only just do some dusting and tidying things up, not essentially creating a new blank Profile and dumping mostly the useful stuff in a folder on desktop. If it was a case of it creating a new Profile and it copying over essential stuff like passwords and bookmarks to new Profile and it helping you deal with remaining settings from old Profile then it would be better.

Brummelchen

Post Posted September 1st, 2017, 4:13 pm

if you want to discuss i am out. for me mozilla described very well what a refresh is performing. at least it worked until now flawlessly and users were happy. if some dont understand he can ask again. for me i am only telling you that it is currently broken, its up on you give advise as you like to give and there always are several roads to rome.

Mark12547

Post Posted September 11th, 2017, 11:51 am

It looks like Bug 1388611 is still broken in 55 (at least that is how I read it), but fixed in the other releases (ESR 52, Beta/Dev 56, Nightly 57). So when 56 rolls into Release this shouldn't be an issue any more.

Return to Firefox Bugs