Problems viewing PDF files in Quantum...help!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mitcon

Problems viewing PDF files in Quantum...help!

Post by mitcon »

I cannot view most of my pdf files in quantum. Single page pdfs seem to work larger documents (40+ and 250+ pages) fail to open. I have tried both the Firefox viewer and the Adobe Acrobat DC viewers.

With the Firefox viewer the viewer opens but sooner or later a banner announcing that the document may not display correctly. It then presents the options to use a different viewer or close. No matter what is selected it returns to the viewer and stays there ... FOREVER (seemingly).

With the Acrobat viewer, I see the download start. It goes so far then fails. Also, when using the Acrobat viewer, it pops up a "New Tab" with About:Blank on the URL line and sets there forever (again, seemingly).

I know that they are 2 different products but, Firefox ESR 52.5.0 (64-bit) still works fine on my Debian Linux box.

HELP!!!

Mitch ](*,)
DanRaisch

Re: Problems viewing PDF files in Quantum...help!

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.
therube

Post by therube »

I have tried both the Firefox viewer and the Adobe Acrobat
If they won't open (externally) in Adobe Acrobat, I would think the files to be corrupt?
What does happen when you try to open them in Acrobat? Is there an error given?
I see the download start
So these are files that you haven't even downloaded first?
What happens if you do actually download them, then open them in Acrobat?
when using the Acrobat viewer, it pops up a "New Tab" with About:Blank on the URL line
Acrobat (embedded in the browser) should not even be working at all in (current) FF, much less in FF x64.
(52 Acrobat would still be working.)

I'm confused.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mitcon

Post by mitcon »

Downloads (R-Click "Save Link As ...") do not complete in Quantum, can't get the PDF downloaded. The same symptoms are exhibited in Quantum on my Dell Laptop and my Acer Desktop running Win 10.

They open on my Debian 8 Linux Dell Laptop. I can download them. I downloaded the 250+ page document (using Linux) just fine, I can view them online using the Linux workstation running FF ESR 52.5.0 (64-bit). Once downloaded I can view them using Acrobat Reader DC locally. I don't think it's a file corruption problem, I still think it's a problem with Quantum in the Window$ environment.

Just tried it on my Ellipsis 10 pad with FF 56.0 ... works just fine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mitch
mitcon

Post by mitcon »

The pdfs are now displaying using the FF viewer. I shut completely down came back into FF and voila they're working!

BUT...

Now all of my bookmarks are gone! A red banner comes across the screen with the message "The bookmarks and history system will not be functional because one of Firefox's files is in use by another application. Some security software can cause this problem".

WILL START A NEW THREAD...

it
therube

Post by therube »

Hmm. Never heard of that one before, but seems it has been heard of.

Fix "The bookmarks and history system will not be functional" error message

I'd backup first ;-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript