Menu Button Crashes, Not Responding Loop, FF 58.02/Win 10

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
tehowe

Menu Button Crashes, Not Responding Loop, FF 58.02/Win 10

Post by tehowe »

Hello;

Having uninstalled Firefox 52.4, I'm trying to do a clean install of Firefox 58.02, freshly downloaded from firefox.com

The install procedure is succesfull and then I 'Refresh firefox'

However when I click the Menu Button at the top right, the menu renders as a black box and the menu bar reads Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding). It then appears to return to normal, but the black menu then returns on its own and then it repeats this loop, until eventually the Windows your application is not responding shows up.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Are there logs on disk I can look at? we'd stick with 52.4 but my client needs some specific plugin that's only available on >FF57
DanRaisch

Re: Menu Button Crashes, Not Responding Loop, FF 58.02/Win 1

Post by DanRaisch »

Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installer files.
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.
tehowe

Post by tehowe »

Ok, I've tried the steps you recommended above - turned off Deep Freeze, disabled Windows Defender, ensured it's the x64 version running on 64 bit Windows 10, got it from your link instead of Firefox.com, etc. - but the same problem persists.

This time I saw Firefox attempt to draw the menu, but I only saw it briefly. It was translucent as though it got stuck while animating, then disappeared and was replaced by the black rectangle in place of the menu.

Could it be a display or hardware incompatibility? I went into System Information to check on the hardware (I have to Teamviewer into these machines so I don't have physical access to it myself) and it's a Dell Optiplex 5050.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
tehowe

Post by tehowe »

When I went back and tried again, the menu button was no longer crashing the browser outright but it seemed extremely slow, regardless of whether it was started in safe mode or not.

I asked my client whether any Windows updates had been performed in the interim, and he said no. Then he did all the updates and now FF 58.02 works fine on one of the four machines and is still very slow on the other three. Waaat?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

please stop faking user agent, that is not helpful, neither here or anywhere.

upgrading from such old version as you did MUST fail and run into trouble.
a new profile should have done better instead refreshing a crappy profile!

create a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

This article explains how to selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
tehowe

Post by tehowe »

1. No I'd rather not, it's a data point in tracking
2. Thank you for passing that on, it wasn't an 'upgrade' if that matters - it was an uninstall/reinstall. And I did ensure that C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox had been removed as well prior to running and refreshing, I'll have a look at this and see how it differs! And report back on whether it worked :)
tehowe

Post by tehowe »

Created a new profile named 'test', ran Firefox using that, same result, but it's back to displaying 'Not Responding' in the title bar and not opening the menu.

Same with latest beta channel version as well.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You've posted from systems using Linux and Mac OS. Are you running any sort of security software on either system?
tehowe

Post by tehowe »

Hello, I do have some security implemented on my personal boxes. But these are not the hosts I'm installing Firefox on.

The hosts I'm installing Firefox on are actually Windows boxes located on another continent which I remote into. They run Windows Defender and Deep Freeze, which I tried turning off prior to the install but got the same result. (See third post in thread, above)

I thought to check on the display hardware since Firefox started working okay on one of the 4 hosts, but they're identical in every discernible way from a hardware and software perspective. Fairly pedestrian onboard graphics - they all have Intel HD Graphics 530.
therube

Post by therube »

Created a new profile named 'test', ran Firefox using that, same result, but it's back to displaying 'Not Responding' in the title bar and not opening the menu.
And if you revert back to FF 52.6 ESR, does that still open successfully?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
tehowe

Post by tehowe »

Yes, that works fine.
therube

Post by therube »

See if Nirsoft's WhatIsHang might point something out?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
tehowe

Post by tehowe »

Hello.. ok so I played around with WhatIsHang... at the moment I click the menu button on Firefox I see not just the usual two Firefox thread entries in WhatIsHang (which I think is just one thread given that they share the same process number, UI quirk maybe) but a new doubled thread entry appears which I assume is a separate thread for the broken menu. It looks like this (note the frozen black menu at the right side of the screen)

https://imgur.com/a/Tx5xh

WhatIsHang forbids me from getting any information about the hung menu process, aka thread ID 8556 in the picture and responds "Error 5: Access is denied. WhatIsHang failed to extract thread information from the process. Try to right-click on WhatIsHang.exe and choose 'Run As Administrator' and then generate the report again."

This despite the fact that I am running it as administrator, it's the 64 bit version, FF is 64 bit.

I can however get the dump from thread ID 9320 and I put it in this pastebin since it's rather long...

https://pastebin.com/8cAL5vtJ

Eventually the menu thread 8556 went to 'Not Responding'. I've seen it flap between Not Responding and a responsive state before, too.

PS This is with the Firefox 59 installer now...

Hope that helps, thanks!