automatically adding www.___.com

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Orbite

Post by Orbite »

acid_kewpie wrote:... one word however is treated as a domain. This behaviour seems extremely crude.

False. Try acid_kewpie. You'll be directed to http://thirtythreeandathird.net/
acid_kewpie

Post by acid_kewpie »

http://www.acid_kewpie.com/ does not exist. i have no doubt that that is what happens for you, but i do not have this functionality for some reason on any platform. eitherway that is not of a concern. it's the brute force approach that is being taken, that's all.
chris
velcrospud

Post by velcrospud »

Just for the record....
I've always had different behavior for this function between my computer at home and my computer at work.

At home (WinXP) typing in a single word (or more), I always get the keyword search, which I have set by user.js to normal google search. It will not resove the www. ------.com address, even if it exists.

At work (Win2000) typing in a single word, I always get an attempt at resolving the www. -------.com address, even though I have the same user.js setting. If I type in two words, it does the normal google search that I have set in user.js.
Orbite

Post by Orbite »

Once again, if you want to change to way Firebird works modify the browser.fixup.alternate.enabled variable.

Type about:config in the address bar.
Scroll to browser.fixup.alternate.enabled.
Change the value to false
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Orbite wrote:Once again, if you want to change to way Firebird works modify the browser.fixup.alternate.enabled variable.

Type about:config in the address bar.
Scroll to browser.fixup.alternate.enabled.
Change the value to false

The value is set to true by default (at least for me), but typing in a single word still invokes a Goodle search ("I'm Feelin' Lucky"). Is this normal?
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)