Firefox "stopped" and pages won't load.

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
MEM-TEK

Re: Firefox "stopped" and pages won't load.

Post by MEM-TEK »

Hi everyone,

Well, here is my theory about Firefox's "stopped" message in the status bar:

I too encounter "stopped" and no matter how many different pages I try to load from a given web site after "stopped" has been displayed in Firefox's status bar, then no matter what Firefox will display "stopped" in the status bar for any page from that web site. I specifically am encountering this issue with one particular web site http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/ which is the web site for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. The issue occurs whenever that web site's server thinks that all information, such as an image, was sent to the user's web browser. Subsequent requests for that same information, such as trying to reload the image or partial image, result in the server returning absolutely NOTHING for the browser's request. I think that Firefox interprets this to mean that the server suddenly went offline, and Firefox will display "stopped" for any subsequent requests sent to that server, such as repeatedly trying to reload a web page when all of it didn't completely load the first or subsequent times, or even a subsequent request is for a completely different web page which would get served up by that server once Firefox has generated the "stopped" message for that server. Closing and restarting Firefox resolves the issue until once again enough non-responses from the server occur because the server "thinks" that the request is simply a duplicate request and because the server "thinks" that it has already successfully sent the requested information. In other words and as far as I can tell the problem is that either the server or its firewall is misconfigured or configured to ignore repeat requests for a given chunk of information within a web page, maybe as a method to harden the server against DDOS attacks?

I use PCTools Firewall Plus which, like ZoneAlarm's firewall, displays all outgoing and incoming traffic using its system tray icon. I tested the above scenario by requesting one specific image from the LROC server. As soon as Firefox requested an image which failed to completely load, I told Firefox to reload the image. I saw that request go out through the system tray firewall icon, and I watched and noted that absolutely nothing came back from the server since it thought that it merely was a duplicate request and thought that it had already successfully sent the image. And of course then Firefox displayed its "stopped" message after trying a couple of more times to reload the image, since of course the server was returning absolutely nothing in response to Firefox's repeated requests.

Well, that is my theory for what it's worth.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Not that I have any solution to that Iroc site for you but I just visited it and ran around in it for a few minutes and had zero issues retrieving data/pics... and all loading ended up in the "Done" state... completely loaded.

As stated in previous posts...
[b]From a prior post from Dan Raisch (minor changes) ...[/b

Clear the browser cache (Tools->Clear Private Data->select cache->click on "Clear Private Data Now" button).

(If using Firefox 3.5.(or above) use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Show Cookies button).

Also, test it out in safe-mode or a test profile...to see what happens...
This is only for Firefox safe-mode...Don't check off any of it's safe-mode boxes...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
MEM-TEK

Post by MEM-TEK »

dfoulkes wrote:Not that I have any solution to that Iroc site for you but I just visited it and ran around in it for a few minutes and had zero issues retrieving data/pics... and all loading ended up in the "Done" state... completely loaded...

Nope, the problem occurs both with Firefox and IE from time to time when browsing the lroc web site. The problem definitely is with the configuration of their servers/firewalls as far as I can tell.
saurabh7878

Post by saurabh7878 »

Hi All,
I was having the same problem from couple of months and i was irritated/frustrated with it.
I tried to install/uninstall each and every software which was giving this problem but of no help.
Yesterday suddenly i realize that my recycle bin is very much full and its outside the limit.
I empty my recycle bin and hooof my internet was back to normal.
I donot know that is this the real cause of error but i thought of sharing this with everyone as i see in past months while googling that there are lot of ppl having the same problem and it might help somebody.

Please post your feedback if it resolves your problem.

Thanks
MEM-TEK

Post by MEM-TEK »

I still encounter the problem with the LROC web site even after starting Firefox in safe mode and turning off my software firewall and antivirus programs. And, as I mentioned, this issue with the LROC web sites occurs from time to time with IE too. This makes me conclude that the LROC webmasters have issues with the Zoomify software which they use and with either their networking or server configurations. So we are kind of back to square one with regards to similar issues which other report having when browsing the Internet in general. Maybe somebody could whip up a quick little testing utility which records the user's current IP settings (max hops, ttl, max concurrent connections, et cetera) so that they can be restored, and which provides additional "test" settings which might resolve the problem if they connect to the Internet through a somewhat flaky ISP.
mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 »

Mine is doing the same thing, but I don't have to re start my computer, just close FF and restart FF.
Thanks, MB
mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 »

I installed IE 8, and had to install SP 3 1st. I am running XP home.
Had/ Still Have, a bunch of problems with IE 8 , see here,
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/wind ... 44681.aspx
But funny thing now, FF seems to be working just fine Now.
Hope that helps some one.
Thanks, Tony
Evan Edwards

I may have found a solution!

Post by Evan Edwards »

I may have found the solution to this problem...
At least it seems to be working for me.

1. Type about:config into the address bar.
2. Enter IPv6 into the filter bar.
3. Toggle network.dns.disableIPv6 to true. (just double-click it)
4. Re-start Firefox.
5. Enjoy pages that load the first time.

The whole thing might be a problem with a Microsoft Update of the IPv6 protocol.

You should not presently need IPv6 for the proper operation of your browser, but you may need it at some future date, so remember that you might need to re-toggle this setting at some point down the road.

I hope it works for everyone! :)
jasmine

Post by jasmine »

MrsDThompson wrote:I haven't trapped an error at the right time either... not yet, anyway.

Hi, I'm following up on these posts to see how you've made out with this issue.
I've had to purchase a new laptop and so far so good. At least, with this particular problem.
Of all the issues I've had with my computer this was easily the most frustrating.
Have you found the fix or just taken the advice to reformat, maybe?
Political Correctness is simply Fascism with manners.