Firefox "stopped" and pages won't load.

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
jasmine

Re: Firefox "stopped" and pages won't load.

Post by jasmine »

Well, unfortunately I'm back hoping someone has finally come up with a cure for this. I've already had to restart my computer this morning.
After switching to another firewall I ended up switching back to ZA because the other firewall was causing other problems.
I've run FF is safe mode and it still stops.
The strange thing is that last night when I tried safe mode for the first time, FF was especially fast. Then this morning as soon as I logged on it wouldn't work.
I'm wondering if there's some place in Windows we could look to see exactly what's happening. Any ideas? [-o<
Political Correctness is simply Fascism with manners.
jasmine

Post by jasmine »

And again my browser is very fast this morning.
If only it would stay this way.
jasmine

Post by jasmine »

bumping....
bluesrainy

Post by bluesrainy »

still no reason no solution, this bug drive me crazy for a year, i guess time to get a GoogleChrome ;(
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

As far as I can tell you haven't ask for support on your issue bluesrainy. Please start a new thread describing your problem.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
blitzer

SOLVED !!!

Post by blitzer »

SOLVED !!!

I had removed all extensions and add-ins, disabled anti-virus - still had the same issue

I'm running XP Pro SP3 and Firefox 3.6. Here's what I did:

1. UNINSTALL the wireless network driver from Device Manager (I'm using it the most and noticed that the wireless network icon is not 'active' even though the connection is there, so i thought there could be an adapter driver corrupt) and ran SCAN FOR HARDWARE
CHANGES to install it back. Restart your PC
2. Create a new profile in Firefox. Close all firefox windows, go to RUN, type firefox -p and type in a name for the new profile (you'll lose all your favorites/bookmarks, but dont import anything back from the old 'corrupted' previous profile, if you do the problem will come back)

It seems to HAVE SOLVED the issue, my firefox doesnt go through the 'STOPPED' status anymore =D>
Last edited by blitzer on March 27th, 2010, 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jasmine

Post by jasmine »

Can it really be true???
Is my long nightmare finally over????????

I'll try it and let you know.
Pretoria

Post by Pretoria »

Having same problem..first I disabled Adblock Plus and will see if that helps first. If not, will try making a new profile as suggested.
MrsDThompson

Post by MrsDThompson »

I have the exact same problem.... but...

OK EVERYONE... I hate to break it to you, but this isn't a problem specific to Firefox.

My nightmare started with IE7, upgraded to IE8, which didn't fix it. Instead of a 'stopped' status, the status displays a tiny black clock and gives the message "website found, waiting for reply". So I went in search (through about a thousand forums) for a fix. To no avail. I tried every recommendation, went down every (wrong) road and finally gave up on trying to find a fix for IE.

So... I downloaded and installed Firefox. Phoooeey!!! It does the same thing. It appears to be connecting but just as IE does, it churns and churns and churns and never lands. That led me to search for the Firefox stopped status... and I found this forum. This happens using my laptop at work and at home, two different ISPs and two different routers.

This problem is so erratic and random it is driving me CRAAZZZY! It's been about a year for me too, of INTERNET HELL....

One person in another forum suggested that I test booting up with a Linux Live CD, to see if I can rule out a problem with Windows. (Forums I've found are all across the spectrum. Windows XP, Vista and now Windows 7.) So, the theory now is that if I rule out windows, perhaps it's hardware... the motherboard was suggested. Damn! I hope not. I have a Dell, but the other forums are all brands too. So maybe, that IS the common thread. The motherboard. : (

But on second thought, I think...NOT. That's because I saw another user on your forum that is using a MAC. (But I don't know which operating system it's on....)

To see other forums for the same issue with IE... do a google search using this search term: black clock website found, waiting for reply.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I recently discoverd this: I start browsing sessions using Firefox. At the point where it goes to STOPPED status I close it. (And like other posts have said - you can't kill it - even in task manager.) But, no matter... I just switch to IE. I browse for as long as that lasts (sometimes for hours and sometimes only minutes.) WHY, WHY, WHY??? Once IE stops, I reboot and start the vicious cycle all over again.

Now, I've downloaded Opera and I'm going to see if it will work after the other two stop. I'M GOING CRAZY, for real!!!

This is the first PC issue that I've never been able to resolve, eventually. I have 30+ years in the IT industry, and it happens to be my own pc. CRAZY, I TELL YOU!
Last edited by MrsDThompson on April 12th, 2010, 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conform and be dull. ~ Dobie
MrsDThompson

Post by MrsDThompson »

I hope that Jasmine will report on whether it fixed, to uninstall and re-install the wireless network adapter and create a new profile. I did uninstall the network adapter and re-installed it but it no workee, either. Also, I get this same exact problem whether I'm wired - or wireless. It doesn't make any difference and it doesn't make any sense.

PS: Email quits too, using Thunderbird, but PING always works fine.

IS THERE A DR. HOUSE IN THE ROOM?
Conform and be dull. ~ Dobie
jasmine

Post by jasmine »

Maybe one of the things we could do is to have all of us list the hardware we have on our PCs that might be involved. See if we have anything in common.

MrsDThompson, I feel your pain. I've been dealing with this for years now. You're right when you call it internet hell.

I know there are other issues posted on this forum besides this one. But I have to wonder since this issue has been so frustrated and longstanding, at what point will the people at FF start looking into it???

Since you're the IT expert what hardware would you suggest we look into as possible culprits? Let me know and I'll list what I have.
jasmine

Re: SOLVED !!!

Post by jasmine »

blitzer wrote:SOLVED !!!

I had removed all extensions and add-ins, disabled anti-virus - still had the same issue

I'm running XP Pro SP3 and Firefox 3.6. Here's what I did:

1. UNINSTALL the wireless network driver from Device Manager (I'm using it the most and noticed that the wireless network icon is not 'active' even though the connection is there, so i thought there could be an adapter driver corrupt) and ran SCAN FOR HARDWARE
CHANGES to install it back. Restart your PC
2. Create a new profile in Firefox. Close all firefox windows, go to RUN, type firefox -p and type in a name for the new profile (you'll lose all your favorites/bookmarks, but dont import anything back from the old 'corrupted' previous profile, if you do the problem will come back)

It seems to HAVE SOLVED the issue, my firefox doesnt go through the 'STOPPED' status anymore =D>

But how do we get all our bookmarks and passwords back if we can't import them? I can't open the files without importing them.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

MrsDThompson wrote:I hope that Jasmine will report on whether it fixed, to uninstall and re-install the wireless network adapter and create a new profile. I did uninstall the network adapter and re-installed it but it no workee, either. Also, I get this same exact problem whether I'm wired - or wireless. It doesn't make any difference and it doesn't make any sense.

PS: Email quits too, using Thunderbird, but PING always works fine.

IS THERE A DR. HOUSE IN THE ROOM?

Sound like you realllllly pounded this one into the ground.

Wire/wireless, diff. ISP, diff. network and all apps. that interact with the internet having problems... sure sounds to me like a Firewall/AV issue... or... hidden malware or Hosts file issue???

Though it may not help at all you might want to try do download the portable version of Firefox to do a test with. It does not "install" into Win... it just places all of it's files into a dir/folder on disk so you can just delete it like a normal file/folder when done. You could also load it onto a Thumb/Flash drive to test... it would run slower but it would still tell you something about the site loading.
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Anyway, since it should be bypassing many of the internal functions of your PC it might be interesting to see if it also stalls on you.

Also, I don't know what you've had running on your PC in the past but if you've uninstalled old AV/Firewall stuff it may be that not all of it went away and could be clashing with your current/active app. This prog. was created by one of the Mods on this board and is used to report certain stuff running in the background... it may help to at least give you a sense of cleanliness :)
http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/tools.html
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

jasmine
The strange thing is that last night when I tried safe mode for the first time, FF was especially fast. Then this morning as soon as I logged on it wouldn't work.

That "last night" when you ran FF in safe-mode...it ran fine... and then "this morning" you logged in...and it wouldn't work... was that in "normal mode" for "safe-mode"?
I know there are other issues posted on this forum besides this one. But I have to wonder since this issue has been so frustrated and longstanding, at what point will the people at FF start looking into it???

The OP that you were responding to stated that it was not a FF problem but a general problem with her computer... so Mozilla isn't going to be looking into anything.

Early in this thread (last year) you resolved all problems by uninstalling ZA and using a diff. Firewall... and said all was now working. Now it's not and you've install ZA again so I would expect that problems will still be there. Why don't you try clearing out ZA and just use Win. Firewall to see how things go. Also, the Trolly post/link that I made above should be download/run to see what is lurking behind the scenes.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
jasmine

Post by jasmine »

Thanks for the reply.
As to your first question, I can't answer. It's been so long.

Yes, you're right about the OP etc. But....have you done a search online and in the forums on this issue? Many...many posts. Obviously we don't know if it's the fault of FF. But since it's fairly widespread it might be worth their while to look into.

I thought that since FF had been upgraded since I had uninstalled ZA I'd use it again thinking the problem might have been fixed if it was a FF issue. I was hoping, anyway.

I'm going to install the portable FF you mentioned to see if the issue goes away.

Is Windows Firewall any good? I've stayed away from it since it first came out since I knew it was an inferior firewall. Maybe it's worth checking out now?

Thanks again.