The peculiar behavior of bookmarks

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
shoestring

The peculiar behavior of bookmarks

Post by shoestring »

I am referring to the bookmark manager here, and the 10/31 build (though the 11/2 had the same problem and more).

Normally, it takes a double-click to go to a bookmark. This is as it should be. But I've run into a problem where suddenly a single click will do it. Once this aberrant behavior starts, it seems to continue, i.e. never goes back to double-click until you exit and restart.

The other day, before I'd realized what was going on, it looked as though every bookmark was opening at least two identical tabs! Then I caught on: the time it opened 3 identical tabs, I'd selected (I thought) a bookmark, and then double-clicked to open it, for a total of 3 clicks. Result: 3 tabs.

For a while, it looked like the tabbed browsing extensions were causing it, but now I don't know.
jake

Post by jake »

I thought that clicking once on a bookmark to open was normal behaviour.
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

jake wrote:I thought that clicking once on a bookmark to open was normal behaviour.

I think it would be pretty difficult to use bookmark manager to manage bookmarks if that were the case! How would you select several bookmarks to move, or even just one to delete?
cb

Re: The peculiar behavior of bookmarks

Post by cb »

shoestring wrote:I am referring to the bookmark manager here, .....

Normally, it takes a double-click to go to a bookmark. This is as it should be.

I am on the 0.4 milestone, and it is "as it should be". ie That is normal behaviour for the BM:

Double-click loads the bookmark
Single-click just selects it
shoestring

Re: The peculiar behavior of bookmarks

Post by shoestring »

cb wrote:
shoestring wrote:I am referring to the bookmark manager here, .....

Normally, it takes a double-click to go to a bookmark. This is as it should be.

I am on the 0.4 milestone, and it is "as it should be". ie That is normal behaviour for the BM:

Double-click loads the bookmark
Single-click just selects it

I'm using the 10/31 build, and <B>sometimes</B> or even <B>usually</B> the behavior is normal. But fairly often, something seems to toggle this other "mode" quite suddenly. I have no idea what triggers it.
cb

Post by cb »

Do you have a theme installed? I know my installed theme is unstable (especially around the close tab icon).

Maybe try putting the original theme on and testing it? I have no idea if this is relevant, but it's the only constructive thing I could think of.
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

cb wrote:Do you have a theme installed? I know my installed theme is unstable (especially around the close tab icon).

Maybe try putting the original theme on and testing it? I have no idea if this is relevant, but it's the only constructive thing I could think of.

Nope, using the Classic theme, small buttons, Icons and Text, set up like so:

In the menu bar: ... [flex space], search window, throbber

In the toolbar: Back | Forward | Reload | Stop, location bar, Go | Digger | QPrefs.

Close buttons on tabs. Icons on tabs turned off (but I miss the spinner!).
michal017

Post by michal017 »

yes, I noticed this too.. in both Win and Linux versions.. and various builds..
99% of the time I'm using middle mouse button to open a bookmarked page in a new tab, sometimes I have to single-click, sometimes double-click..
jake

Post by jake »

Sorry, I read ahead to quickly on the first post..
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

michal017 wrote:yes, I noticed this too.. in both Win and Linux versions.. and various builds..
99% of the time I'm using middle mouse button to open a bookmarked page in a new tab, sometimes I have to single-click, sometimes double-click..

I'm now using the 1107 nightly, and at first I thought this had gone away. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

As I am not QAly inclined, can anyone confirm that this bug has already been posted, or not? I shudder at the prospect of reporting it myself (I tried once before to report some bug that has since been fixed anyway), and failed miserably partway into the process.

<I>((Mind you, I've been in the software field for 26 years ... and have never been really good at formal bug reporting - from either end (usually found it much more effective to work directly with the enduser if at all possible). But that's purely parenthetical.))</I>