MozillaZine

AUBA (the automated usenet binary archive) and Firefox

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
lidgaca

Post Posted December 7th, 2004, 11:45 am

Does anyone use Firefox with AUBA - ie http://archive.xusenet.net/home.html ???

When I use this service the browser perfoms all functions and displays the images perfectly. However if I pull up a full size image into the browser window, then right click on the image to get the context menu up, the context menu does NOT contain a 'save image as' option. Thus I can't actually save the full sized image. Unfortunately I've just bollixed today's download bandwidth, so I can't reproduce the problem at the moment - if anyone wants more information, I'll post tomorrow.

I'm not up with the www standards enough to know if this is a bug in Firefox, but:

The above is also true of Mozilla 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 (ie it's had this behaviour ever since I started using Mozilla in anger ...)

IE 5.5 and IE 6 *do* show a 'save image as' context menu.

Typically in the past I've just used IE for auba downloading, but I'm really trying to junk IE and would like to know if this is a bug in Firefox, or if it's spiffy programming on the part of AUBA (ie that they don't *want* the browser to post a 'save image as' context menu entry). I do have 'disable JavaScript from making changes to context menus' checked in the privacy settings ...

Strangley Google did not seem to have any (useful) hits for auba + mozilla or auba + firefox.

Any ideas guys ?

-- Chris Lidgate

lidgaca

Post Posted December 7th, 2004, 11:53 am

Sorry to reply to myself, but there is a boo-boo in the above.

In my Tools-> Options-> Web Features ->

Java & JavaScript is Enabled

Under the JavaScript Advanced button, evrythings is CLEARED, except 'Change Images' which is checked.

ie JavaScript *shouldn't* be able to change the context menus, which is what I was trying to say ....

-- Chris

Return to Firefox Bugs