100 % CPU usage makes Firefox unusable :-(

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

This from Macromedia, the creator of Flash

"Trouble with a particular Web site

"Always verify if problems are not actually due to problems with your Flash Player, but possibly only occurring with one particular web site. Try viewing other Macromedia Flash content (for example, Macromedia.)...

"Some performance issues are related to the way content is created. A well-optimized web site may perform better than others. These differences in performance are beyond your control, and can only be addressed by the creator of the web site. Contact their web master for assistance."
Skram0

Post by Skram0 »

Are there any web developers here who can make flash pages?

I'd be a neat experiment to start creating a Flash page of your own and test each Flash function to see which ones cause the CPU usuage to skyrocket.

I get about 30% usage too just by watching a flash ad on the top of dictionary.com. Krazy...

Contrary to what I had thought before, I've found a web site using Flash7 that causes IE to function at 90% too. Try www.pacific-fighters.com and let the page idle while viewing the top part. BUT, in IE6 you can reduce the CPU load by scrolling to the bottom of the page. Doing this in FF 1.0 only reduces it to 65%. You'll also notice the air planes fly by much faster in IE too.

Heh, I went to the macromedia.com web site, and their flash gives me 65% at first, then slowly goes down to 50, to 40, to 20, then to 0. It's the flash with the lady sitting in a chair. The same flash ad in IE starts off at 80% then holds around 45%.

My system is an Athlon XP 1600, so I assume I'd be able to display a couple measly animated graphics...

What's up with the performance of Flash? Who was the *air head* who invented it and made it popular!? It's the last thing we all need, yet another program to make your computer feel ten years older. There's enough ad/spy ware out there for that..
goa103

Post by goa103 »

Does anyone know if an issue has been posted ? Last time Firefox was greeding 150 MB of my memory with three tabs opened... Now it's 350 MB !
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Skram0,
I think you've figured this out pretty well. I'm not sure whether this is a FF issue or a Flash issue, but maybe it's time to bug Macromedia about it. I notice that they don't specifically support Gecko browsers, although they mention Netscape.

Although they claim a 98% market share, Gecko browsers have something like a 20 to 30% market share. Flash seems to work poorly, judging by the numbers of people who worship FlashBlock, and still others like me who refuse to compromise our computers for the purpose of watching animated froo-froo (or is it fluff?). Since you found a site or sites for which it doesn't work well for IE either, I suspect that they have some homework to do. You can also point out that for security reasons and just plain orneriness, many of us refuse to visit sites that require IE. It's Gecko browsers or nothing, and our numbers are growing fast.
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

goa103,
I think you are posting in the wrong thread. There are many threads on memory issues. Whatever thread this started as, it seems to be a Flash thread now.

But to answer your question, set your cache settings in about:config back to the defaults (don't just type in a default number, but actually press the reset button). Then restart FF once in a while if, and only if, the memory consumption actually causes you a performance problem. Look at the VM size column, and nothing else. Although the Task Manager appears to give you useful information in plain English, it's guaranteed to mislead.

There has been very extensive discussion on this, and some good people are working on it. No one seems to have useful information to add at this point.
just_in

Post by just_in »

I was making a flash page,

If I remake flash and use the same file name on the server I will have to shut down the browser to reload the page. It always uses the catch version. (did press shift clear catch ect)

Saving 100 images SOMETIMES makes the browser hog memory, mouse scroll has a delay of 5 sec. 1 tab open 4 Ghz cpu.

Viewing img property's made it crash during this lag.
komang96

The threads here sounds very familiar to me

Post by komang96 »

Unfortunately, I'm having the same problem. I know this sounds annoying to some people but it's true and I'm quite desperate.

I recently switched to iBook from Fujitsu LifeBook using XP SP2 and FF 1.0. I had frequently ended up like 90~95% CPU usage before. Now, with my new iBook on OS X and FF1.0, this problem still exist.
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another (Rom. 13:8)
Yuri21

Post by Yuri21 »

Hmmz... I also have the same issue. I noticed, though, that the problem doesn't just lie with Flash but also with certain sites. I'm guessing it's probably because of the coding or ads(which are poorly coded) that the sites use? I also noticed that many users have the same issue although they vary from site to site.
tigerfish

Post by tigerfish »

hello- have you done tools/options/privacy/clear all, in ff?
and maybe someone could tell what the javascript console does? does ff run java from a plugin, or like ie, can you go to windows control panel/java icon/cache and clear it (making sure the path to the cache is correct)?
LittleBuddy

more CPU hog symptoms

Post by LittleBuddy »

I have documented several particular instances where firefox hogs CPU resources. I'm using firefox 0.8 on SuSE 9.1 I ran the same tests with Mozilla 1.6 and konqueror 3.2.1.

1) When loading pages with a lot of images, firefox will exibit 80% plus cpu usage during the download of the page, but then fall to under 5% when the page is loaded. I have a ppp dialup connection that runs about 30k, and the burst of cpu usage is highly correlated to the burst of packets on the ppp link. When loading the same website on konqueror or mosilla, there is also a burst of cpu activity, but it is less than 20%. I cleared the cache before each test, and the packet profile on the ppp link is very similar for each browser.

2) Loading SSL web pages (https) typically causes the cpu meter to nearly peg 95% plus. Even pages with just a few small images, but mostly text nearly peg the cpu. When I log out of reading web mail, (AT&T) which is not SSL, the email login screen redisplays, which is SSL. Sometimes, the cpu meter pegs for 30-40 seconds AFTER the packets on the ppp link are finished.

2b) Sometimes, I will shut off the ppp dialer just after loging out from web mail, but before the login screen has finished displaying. In this case, the cpu meter will remain pegged forever, or until I hit the stop button on firefox or the ESC key. Mozila and konqueror don't do this! This seems like some sort of spin lock, though, perhaps it is not. Perhaps this problem is with OpenSSL, though probably not, as konqueror and mozilla don't have this problem, and use OpenSSL.

This is not a memory problem. I have 256M of RAM and it is never more than about half used and swap is never used, for these tests anyway. There was no Flash on my test web pages.

I had been using the Mozilla browser on Mandrake 10.0 for a while and then I switched to SuSE 9.1 a few months ago, and thought I'd try Firefox and Thunderbird. SuSE seemed quit slow sometimes, and I finally figured out that the slowdown was due to firefox. I'm currently using konqueror and thunderbird.

I was hoping this had been fixed by version 1.0, but apparently not. I won't wast time downloading it.

Gilligan
Gilligan
steve_g

1.0.2 still broken?

Post by steve_g »

I'm having the 99% CPU problem on this Windows 2000 PC even since upgrading from 0.9 last week. I <b>already</b> have the latest Flashblock installed.
It's not a memory problem - I have about half of physical RAM unused. The browser just seems to go into a tight loop somewhere.

Some minutes later...
<b>Hey! I fixed it!</b>

I deleted all the files in my Cache (use about:cache in the address bar if you don't know where it lives.)
Never one for controlled experiments, I also deleted downloads.rdf (which seems to keep a record of everything that download manager handles.)

Whatever. Now I have <b>NO</b> maxed-out CPU peaks, flat on the top. Just nice spikey ones corresponding to real work. :banana: :banana: :banana: :D
Steve
pdmoderator

Post by pdmoderator »

Well, I tried that, and it did NOT fix the problem for me. (FF 1.0.3 on a WinXP box.)

The problem seems to come when a popoff pops off.

Clearing everything in the Privacy menu didn't help either.

I can easily recreate the problem. Hitting the BBCode link while posting does it just fine. :(
johncomic

Post by johncomic »

At home, I'm running Win98 with an AMD500 processor and 256MB RAM. Whenever I run Firefox, within five minutes it locks up the entire PC -- the clock stops, the cursor stops dead, even CTRL-ALT-DEL won't work. I have to switch off the power in order to restart. Which also means I don't have the opportunity to check my CPU usage when there's a problem -- it hits too hard, too fast.

It doesn't seem to matter how many or few tabs I have open, what site I'm visiting, or anything... it's just a matter of time.

We use Firefox at the office now and it seems to work great, I've come to love it. So I really wish there was some way to solve this so I could use it at home too.
VirtualLarry

Post by VirtualLarry »

johncomic wrote:At home, I'm running Win98 with an AMD500 processor and 256MB RAM. Whenever I run Firefox, within five minutes it locks up the entire PC -- the clock stops, the cursor stops dead, even CTRL-ALT-DEL won't work.

That's not Firefox, you have buggy hardware. Get a new computer, or fix that one. Sounds like it could be overheating or something, or your HD might have bad spots. Is it a Via chipset? Make sure to install the Via 4-in-1 drivers, 4.38 or so.
johncomic

Post by johncomic »

VirtualLarry wrote:Make sure to install the Via 4-in-1 drivers, 4.38 or so.

Wow. I just tried this, and have now been running Firefox for 15 minutes without the slightest sign of trouble, or even minor slowdowns. A new record for the old household buggy here! Thanks very much! :)