100 % CPU usage makes Firefox unusable :-(

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
leftright

Post by leftright »

removing Windows Defender made a small difference to the frequency of cpu boosts to 100%. The only other app that makes my cpu run at 100% when FF is open is Webroot spysweeper, seems that the antispyware apps work overtime with some web pages.
drekidd

Re: firefox 1.5.02

Post by drekidd »

schapel wrote:
drekidd wrote:
schapel wrote:It sounds like you have some very specific information that could help developers fix a problem. Have you searched Bugzilla to see if there are any <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=325384">comments that mention jpeg_fdct_islow</a>? If not, write a bug report with the information you have about the problem.

I reported this memory leak ages ago.. havent been on here in ages..
My firefox.exe process would grow to around 311MB (of 512) where the system would die.. the CPU is circa 99%. Killing Firefox.exe solves the issue, providing it actually dies when I try to!!! sometimes taskman wont respond or load in time so its quicker to reboot (I love windows!)

First, what memory leak? I thought we were discussing a CPU usage issue.

Second, what's the bug number for the memory leak you reported?

LOL! I did mention a memory leak, granted (as the memory leak coincides with the 99.9% CPU util.), but I also mentioned CPU util. info in the post you quoted me on :)
anderzen

Post by anderzen »

Since uninstalling and reinstalling my current Firewall anti virus program this has seamed to fix the problem I had with 80%-100% cpu usage

Leftright when did you notice that Windows Defender was causing this problem (what were the causes) because i just downloaded the program today and would hate it if this problem came back ?

Use Task Manager and look at the string of processes running this will usually give you a good idea of what is using all the memory !
"Be discreet in all things, and so render it unnecessary to be mysterious about any."
csfreeman

100% CPU Usage after hibernation

Post by csfreeman »

This is of course an old problem. I can see that it was supposedly solved several times in the past, but I can't confirm that from my experience.

Firefox is a great app, but this is a major major drawback - even in v1.5.0.7 running Win XP SP2, and even after uninstalling flash and reinstalling the latest version.

What happens?

When I have many tabs open - say 20+, after coming out of hibernation Firefox typically consumes 100% of CPU resources. This means that I have to record each window that is open (since Firefox can't remember open tabs like Opera), and (slowly) shut them down one by one.

I know other people who have the same problem, so I think it's a bit strange that there are so few comments to this effect. Mabye everyone has given up on reporting it?
schapel

Re: firefox 1.5.02

Post by schapel »

drekidd wrote:
schapel wrote:First, what memory leak? I thought we were discussing a CPU usage issue.

Second, what's the bug number for the memory leak you reported?

LOL! I did mention a memory leak, granted (as the memory leak coincides with the 99.9% CPU util.), but I also mentioned CPU util. info in the post you quoted me on :)

Yes, <i>you</i> mentioned "this memory leak" even though there was no prior discussion of a memory leak I could find that you were referring to. Again, what is the bug number of the report you filed?
tigerchen

Re: 100% CPU Usage after hibernation

Post by tigerchen »

csfreeman wrote:This is of course an old problem. I can see that it was supposedly solved several times in the past, but I can't confirm that from my experience.

Firefox is a great app, but this is a major major drawback - even in v1.5.0.7 running Win XP SP2, and even after uninstalling flash and reinstalling the latest version.

What happens?

When I have many tabs open - say 20+, after coming out of hibernation Firefox typically consumes 100% of CPU resources. This means that I have to record each window that is open (since Firefox can't remember open tabs like Opera), and (slowly) shut them down one by one.

I know other people who have the same problem, so I think it's a bit strange that there are so few comments to this effect. Mabye everyone has given up on reporting it?

Well, i've learned to "live" with this situation by using the SessionSaver extension. It automatically remembers what tabs you had open last time you closed the browser. It's great!

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/436/

Altho i'm trying the keeping GMail open in a separate IE window now, it makes coming back from Standby or Hibernation sooo much faster.
markachang

Post by markachang »

Thank the lord I am not the only one. I thought it might be my computer at 1st but after installing it on 3 different systems, over time, I had to resort to MenTurbo for help releasing some of my 1GB memory. Even then, I experience intermittent lockup or receive the error message about pagefile. Using IE 6 or 7 or even Opera does not cause the problem when opening multiple tabs but neither offer the variety of extensions as Firefox so I hope the new buils will solve this problem.
paulmarkj

Post by paulmarkj »

csfreeman wrote:I know other people who have the same problem, so I think it's a bit strange that there are so few comments to this effect. Mabye everyone has given up on reporting it?

I gave up asking for help on this problem. Unfortunately, there are so many strong devotees of Firefox that for some, they don't like any criticism and can get touchy, the replies were usually along the lines of: "I never get the problem" or "there must be something worng wth your PC", which quite honestly doesn't help me at all.

Yes, I know the helpers are all volunteers, but I just wish that people would take my ( and other peoples') problem seriously, if they did, they might get around to looking at the problem and fixing it!

Sorry to be so negative, but I have had the problem for so long now, and been to so many sites trying to find answers, that it is all that I don't know what else to say. I am going to give details of my problem on another thread.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

csfreeman wrote:I have to record each window that is open (since Firefox can't remember open tabs like Opera)

tigerchen wrote:Well, i've learned to "live" with this situation by using the SessionSaver extension. It automatically remembers what tabs you had open last time you closed the browser.

Firefox 2 gives you the option of restoring the previous session. Options menu > Main > Startup
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

djDarkX wrote:Also, my computer is almost never off so that I can have less wear and tear on it for it to survive longer.

You can go ahead and turn it off. I'm still using my first PC -- an 8 MHz 286. I've never changed anything but the battery. I sent my second PC (a 12 MHz 386SX) to the landfill some years ago, but I believe it would still work. My third PC (a 60 MHz Pentium) is still in use. It's had a hard drive upgrade but no repairs. I can go on if you want.

I can't solve everybody's problems, but I can save you something on your electricity bills, and maybe some wear and tear on hard drives too. :)
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

If any in Hawaii turns theirs off then quite frequently it is bye-bye computer in two to three years. We don't have air conditoning in most residences, have high humidity and many of us live near the ocean and/or in a tropical rain forest. In such conditions, computers last much longer if never turned off. Of course, many computers (Dells in particular) built in the last three years will not last nearly as long as those built in the 90's-early 2000's due to cost cutting measures. This is particularly noticeable in Hawaii.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Ah, yes. High humidity and salt. If you don't already, you might set it to shut down your hard drive and idle in low power mode. It shouldn't take much heat to protect it. I have had a couple of hard drive failures on computers that stayed on all the time.
Delicious

Post by Delicious »

csfreeman wrote:This is of course an old problem. I can see that it was supposedly solved several times in the past, but I can't confirm that from my experience.

What happens?

i have the exact same problem! since v1.0 and nobody seems to give a ****!

CAN ONE OF THE DEVELOPERS PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

If you want to contact the Mozilla developers, you're in the wrong place. This is a user forum.

If you want us to comment, we already have, in part. I would be that in the previous 12 pages you have been referred to numerous Knowledge Base pages that cover this. These pages have been written and refined over a long period of time, and they are more likely to be true than anything we can make up on the fly.

If you want me to wave a dead chicken over the problem, I'd say that CSFreeman has overridden a default and set Fx to trim on minimize. Then, it has a lot of memory to swap when it wakes up, and the CPU is busy rebuilding all the pages with all the garbage Flash objects. If he had not overridden the default, the operating system would have made the decision based on superior information, and all that swapping and rebuilding might not have been necessary. Defaults are usually best.

That's the best I can do, unencumbered by any specific facts about his problem. It's a wild guess, but it <i>could</i> be right. The problem is that computers are complicated, and you all have things set up differently. That means, for 1000 different people, maybe 1000 different problems. So start with the Knowledge Base and the advice that's probably been given here. I'd go farther and say, start over with all defaults and don't make any changes that you can't undo.

If you are sure you are running in default configuration and know what a profile is, post specific information and maybe someone can help. Be accurate, stick to the facts, and be brief. Argument and rhetoric will just get in the way.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

One more thing is that for a few people (out of tens of millions) the update process seems to fail for some reason. Maybe a file gets corrupted or whatever. Maybe there's a bug in the update process, I don't know. But in the worst case you can just start with a clean sweep and you're off and running.

There are a few people, like some in this thread, who still have problems. Is there something wrong with the product or did the user just not fix it right? It's hard to tell. There are certainly some bugs left, but it's like trying to fix a car from another state. If I ever see a bug that I can reproduce I file a bug report and get it fixed. It's probably not your fault that you have a problem, but in some instances maybe you're not good at fixing it.

I note that paid support is available. They should be able at least to give keystroke-by-keystroke help if you need that.

Not trying to be difficult. Just telling it like it is.