100 % CPU usage makes Firefox unusable :-(

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
zajacik

Re: 100 % CPU usage makes Firefox unusable :-(

Post by zajacik »

steviex wrote:Have you tried my suggestion. ?? .. Are you using Flash 9 or 10 ?? Update to Flash 10.

I did upgrade my Flash to 10 and no change. I just deleted FF and reinstalled (including all settings except bookmarks) and no change. I did find something strange.

I am running sysinternals/filemon.So when the 100%CPU problem occurs I close the youtube tab and Windows Task Manager says FF is still 100% and it is still running slow but when I look at file mon there are no processes for FF. Most of the processess are svchost. I am not sure how to interpret any other data.

more suggestions would be nice. i am willing to do anything.

thanks, ray
zajacik

Post by zajacik »

Finally after four days I was able to fix my problem with the following instructions from the Roboform website. Apparently my FF profile was damaged and some folders. I had reinstalled FF before but I did not delete the folders as stated below. Believe me before this I had done everything I could find. Most likely I have a more efficient computer now but I also have a working FireFox using the latest Flash upgrade. My youtube videos play great and FF is only running 20-40% CPU during the videos. I hope this helps some others that just could find a solution.

Reinstall Firefox if Browser Profile is Damaged.
Due to a number of reasons your browser profile may become damaged and corrupted.
Symptoms: old RF adapter cannot be uninstalled, skins are corrupted, etc.
The only way to fix a problem is to do a complete reinstall of Firefox and Mozilla:
* Close all Firefox and Mozilla windows and its taskbar icon.
* Uninstall Firefox from "Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs".
* Uninstall Mozilla from "Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs".
* Delete folder C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Application Data\Mozilla.
* Delete folder C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.
* Delete folder C:\Program Files\mozilla.org.
* Delete folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org.
* Search for all folders that contain "Firefox" or "Mozilla" in their name and delete them.
* Install Firefox (or Mozilla) again.
* Install RoboForm Adapter/Extension as described above.
Similar instructions apply to Netscape.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Unless Roboform knows something we don't a new profile should do the same thing: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

No need for a complete reinstall.

Note that a new profiles has been suggested a couple of times in this thread.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
MrBeefy

Post by MrBeefy »

it's based on fonts. firefox tries to load all the fonts on your system tying up csrss. bug was around in firefox 1, but reintroduced in 3
SK.

Post by SK. »

MrBeefy: You have already been asked once to open a new thread to discuss your problem. Please mind the rules.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
zajacik

Post by zajacik »

LoudNoise wrote:Unless Roboform knows something we don't a new profile should do the same thing: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

No need for a complete reinstall.

Note that a new profiles has been suggested a couple of times in this thread.

Well, I did try creating new profiles and it did not work. Believe me I spend four complete days trying everything in this forum and in many others and the Roboform suggestion finally worked for me. Personally, I think its because they had me manually delete the folders which are not automatically deleted by uninstalling. Obviously, by the sheer volume of people having trouble this 100% CPU issue has many possible sources and apparently that has been many solutions.

Ray
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

We occasionally suggest uninstalling and reinstalling in a new directory, if a new profile doesn't fix the problem.

But the Roboform forum is very mistaken that uninstalling and reinstalling would have any effect on your profile. The instructions are also destructive, in that they cause you to unnecessarily destroy all your data. I'm glad your problem is solved, but consulting either the Knowledge Base or this forum could have solved your problem in a less destructive way. I also note that Roboform may have been the problem, but we'll never know.

NOW this 4-year-old thread really needs to be locked. I don't even know what version it originally referred to.
zajacik

Post by zajacik »

Well, after four days and with nothing suggested on this forum working I am happy with the RoboForm suggestion. Don't be too proud that I didn't find the solution on this forum or in this Knowledge Base. Ultimately, the problem was Firefox and not Flash as just about everyone told me. Maybe Flash has a problem but it was not the case for me. At least, for others, if they have tried everything else at least I offer another solution (no matter how un-technical or un-slick it might be) that solved my problem.

by the way, who cares how old a thread is if it is being used. but if that is a big issue then just start another one. most of us are not in control anyway. we will go when the info is.

Ray
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Don't expect too much from a 4-year-old thread. Nobody's paying much attention, because it's a garbage bucket of unrelated problems. And if you read from the beginning of the thread like you're supposed to, the advice pertains to who-knows-what version.

And don't tack onto a thread that has a gazillion other users griping about miscellaneous problems. Doesn't work. Get your own thread, get right down to business, and tell us the symptoms.

And by the way, the Knowledge Base gets right down to business on what you ought to do (and so does support.mozilla.com). But there's lots and lots of misinformation and bad advice out there on the Web, OK?
steviex

Post by steviex »

OK... I am locking this, as it is getting too convoluted and complex to be useful.

Please can anyone having this issue, start a new thread, giving ALL the details about the problem, that is relevant, including everything that we have asked users, several times, to provide.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Locking.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

zajacik wrote:by the way, who cares how old a thread is if it is being used. but if that is a big issue then just start another one. most of us are not in control anyway. we will go when the info is.
To further comment, we the moderators and other forum members do care how old a thread is. The problem was people were asking questions when the links for help were right in front of them. Those links were posted time after time after time, yet people refused to read them. That gets very old after 29 pages. Just 26 hours ago I made the following comment in this thread regarding that issue.
Dartman wrote:This thread is 29 pages long and is nearly four years old. The KB articles and trouble shooting given by the members here have been given many times. Is there anybody who can give me a solid reason to leave this thread open? If not, it's getting locked.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.