Browser goes back to the previous page automatically

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
zoom314

Browser goes back to the previous page automatically

Post by zoom314 »

I have a problem with Firefox that has persisted, In that the Browser goes back to the previous page automatically on Its own, I have this happen to Me on Windows 7 Pro x64 and I've had this happen when I was running XP Pro x64, Extensions don't seem to matter, It will still happen, I was advised to disable the backspace button by setting It to 2 in about:config somewhere, But that didn't help for long, If at all.
Windows 7 Pro x64, FF 4.0.1, TB 3.1.8
DanRaisch

Re: Browser goes back to the previous page automatically

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Also see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
zoom314

Post by zoom314 »

DanRaisch wrote:Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Also see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

I did say "Extensions don't seem to matter", Unless You think that just loading an extension does It, I don't use any themes, It's stock in that regard, As to a new profile, I'd have to check on that as I've never done this before while using Firefox. Also this problem has existed since FF 3.0 was released into the wild.

Extensions:
  1. Adblock Plus 1.3.3
  2. Add to Amazon Wish List Button 1.4
  3. Compact Menu 2 4.0
  4. Flagfox 4.1.1
  5. Hide/Show Google left-hand menu 1.1.1
  6. Java Console 6.0.22
  7. Java Console 6.0.23
  8. Java Console 6.0.24
  9. Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 0.0.0
  10. New Tab Homepage 0.4.3
  11. Photobucket Uploader 1.3
  12. Tab Mix Plus 0.3.8.5
  13. WeatherBug 2.0.0.4
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please just try Safe Mode. It's not as simple as a single extension that may be known to cause the problem. IT could be a combination of specific extensions that are interfering with each other.
zoom314

Post by zoom314 »

Ok I tried safe mode, But since I don't know how to open a tab there, It means only having what amounts to one window open and also lots of ads from sites that are malware related... As to a new profile, Since I installed Firefox on Windows 7 on an what was a new and empty hdd at the time, That would/does constitute a new profile I'd think, Unless FF searched for an old one on a new and empty hdd, So I see no need to go over that as that's a dead end in My opinion. Want Me to create a new profile anyway? I'd rather not as It would prove nothing, Since the Firefox I had under XP Pro x64 was on a different hdd entirely. So forget asking Me to do that, As I see no point in that, Unless You want to be pedantic. And no I can't boot into XP x64 anymore, This is cause of a hdd change that was only partly successful and to restore booting there would mean I'd have to reinstall Windows 7 Pro from scratch and I'm not going there.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No one mentioned changing operating system. Where did that come from?

Did you start Windows in Safe Mode or Firefox? The recommendation was to launch Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode. You can open tabs in the same way in Safe Mode as tabs are opened in standard mode, i.e. Ctrl+T, or Right click on a link and select "Open link in new tab" or Middle click on a link, etc.
zoom314

Post by zoom314 »

I tried safe mode, For FireFox... Not the OS... Sheesh. Same as ever, No help with a Buggy browser.

As to mentioning the OS, It relates to the profile thing You mentioned, As this is a new fresh install of FF on Windows 7, Of which Win7 was only just installed in the last month or so, I just said I had the same problem under a different OS with a different profile, Ok? So the profile is not worth pursuing, Remember You raised the profile issue and I shot It down...

As in I did not upgrade from XP x64 to Windows 7 x64, 7 is a fresh install and so was FF, So a profile problem is a dead horse.

I'd complained about this bug when I was running XP x64 and had FF doing this then.
zoom314

Post by zoom314 »

DanRaisch wrote:No one mentioned changing operating system. Where did that come from?

Did you start Windows in Safe Mode or Firefox? The recommendation was to launch Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode. You can open tabs in the same way in Safe Mode as tabs are opened in standard mode, i.e. Ctrl+T, or Right click on a link and select "Open link in new tab" or Middle click on a link, etc.

You'd or someone had told Me to disable in about:config the Backspace key to fix this, Needless to say that only disabled the backspace key, Not the problem I've been having with FF since 3.0...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I didn't suggest disabling the backspace key.

Since you are the only person to report this particular problem with Firefox I wonder if the problem is with something other than the browser.
zoom314

Post by zoom314 »

DanRaisch wrote:I didn't suggest disabling the backspace key.

Since you are the only person to report this particular problem with Firefox I wonder if the problem is with something other than the browser.

Well someone did and It was a while back, It was suggested that It was a backspace bug, Well It's not. Now as to something other than the browser, You aren't suggesting the OS are You? Cause like I said that and the profile have nothing to do with the problem and I'm not imagining It, As It's OS and profile independent. I did mention It when I had XP x64 running, I had an account here at the time that uses a different email addy that I can't log into, I've tried too, no dice, But that account can stay dead now.
zoom314

Post by zoom314 »

DanRaisch wrote:I didn't suggest disabling the backspace key.

I'm home all the time almost, It's the internet or the TV and the TV here has only 9 channels on the TV Translator here w/a cat for company. So I'm not surprised really that I may be the only person reporting It, Most probably just like at Seti@Home don't come to the forum and are too busy to bother. But then I'm permanently disabled and waiting to grow older and die one day.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I have the same Problem with Firefox 4.0 and Windows 7 Professional
Gitn2it

Post by Gitn2it »

I have the exact same problem and I have a Mac OS. I am sure a lot of people have this problem. It is a hard one to articulate so maybe that's why a lot of people haven't come forward. It is extremely annoying, especially when trying to fill out forms or log in. I hope someone will come forward with a solution.
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

Try a new profile.
JErnstr

Post by JErnstr »

Ok, This is my third edit.

I have been seeing this 'previous page return' issue for the last two weeks. I thought I had it narrowed down to Java. Uninstalled Java--still happening. So, it wasn't Java. Then I had reason to believe it was Skype causing the issue and I was certain that was the problem--right up until I figured out that it wasn't actually Skype.

I have a USB/Logitech Trackball 'Marble' mouse. If you are familiar with this particular mouse...,

http://www.bing.com/shopping/logitech-i ... &FORM=HURE

...you will know that there is a little button above the main 'left click' button. This is the 'back' button for this mouse. All of the headaches and frustration I've had over the last two weeks was because this stupid little button was 'stuck'. The moral of this little journey is that it's not always a programming error.
Last edited by JErnstr on March 4th, 2012, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.