ANOTHER bug in the File Save dialog

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
MIN

Post by MIN »

just 34 votes... dont think it will be fixed so soon or even ever :(
bigdady

Post by bigdady »

damn, this is just a minor bug but it suxxx so much....
zachariah

Re: Bug still exists in Firefox 1.0.2!

Post by zachariah »

Unbreakable_LP wrote:This highly irritating problem does exist in Firefox 1.0.2!

I went from Fx 1.0 (where this bug didn't exist) to Fx 1.0.1 and discovered the problem (see my post here) and just went back to Fx 1.0 to see Fx 1.0.2 is online now so installed it and now going back to Fx 1.0!!!

Please vote for it: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283730

I agree completely -- I haven't ever seen this bug in Mozilla since before 1.0 or Phoenix|Firebird|Firefoxv0.4 or something, (those are the versions I really started using these browsers).

I have read through bugzilla, but I can't figure out how (as some claim) this could fix a security concern.

I wonder if anyone important at Mozilla, knows, cares, or is effected by this bug?

I'm gonna have to start convincing people to put this as their avatar:

and "Vote for Bug 283730!" as their signature.

oh, and I just discovered that this is in Thunderbird 1.0.2 -- and I believe I heard its in the Mozilla upgrade as well.   Image

Help MozillaZine: Donate! or Buy Something!
UnbreakableMJ

Bug also exists in Mozilla 1.7.6!

Post by UnbreakableMJ »

zachariah wrote:I'm gonna have to start convincing people to put this as their avatar:

and "Vote for Bug 283730!" as their signature.

oh, and I just discovered that this is in Thunderbird 1.0.2 -- and I believe I heard its in the Mozilla upgrade as well.   Image

Good idea zachariah! To Use the signature and the avatar to get people's attention to this bug and especially into voting is a great idea. I'm going to ask everyone I know online to vote for it later tonight.

More importantly, I confirm that this bug exists in Mozilla 1.7.6 and it didn't exist in previous versions (including 1.7.5).

zachariah wrote:...
I have read through bugzilla, but I can't figure out how (as some claim) this could fix a security concern.

The security fix that caused this bug is described in bug# 271732, and it affects Windows ME and not Windows XP nor Windows 2000.
JakeMont

Patch for saving over links problem

Post by JakeMont »

I have a solution … a complete hack. You can manually patch the gkwidget.dll file. Changing 1 byte (the flag that tells windows to behave this way) in this file fixes the problem.

DISCALAIMER: I am an experienced programmer, and I believe this to be safe, and it worked for me … but I am making no guarantees of what this will do to your computer at all. PROCEEDAT YOUR OWN RISK.

I am running Mozilla 1.7.6 (The file may or may not be the same for other applications.)

The file gkwidget.dll I have is 120,144 bytes and was created on March 19, 2005, 8:58:00 AM.
It is in “C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org\GRE\1.7.6_2005031907\components” on my computer … but could be elsewhere on yours.

Close all mozilla applications, and BACKUP THE FILE (gkwidget.dll).

In gkwidget.dll at file offset: 0x7C82 (31874 in decimal) there should be the bytes: 10 00 8D 85. Using a hex file editor, change the first byte to 00 so that the new sequence reads 00 00 8D 85, and save the file.

For me this solves the problem.

Again, I make no guarantees.

Good Luck.
quentinwolf

Re: Bug still exists in Firefox 1.0.2!

Post by quentinwolf »

zachariah wrote:
Unbreakable_LP wrote:This highly irritating problem does exist in Firefox 1.0.2!

I went from Fx 1.0 (where this bug didn't exist) to Fx 1.0.1 and discovered the problem (see my post here) and just went back to Fx 1.0 to see Fx 1.0.2 is online now so installed it and now going back to Fx 1.0!!!

Please vote for it: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283730

I agree completely -- I haven't ever seen this bug in Mozilla since before 1.0 or Phoenix|Firebird|Firefoxv0.4 or something, (those are the versions I really started using these browsers).

I wonder if anyone important at Mozilla, knows, cares, or is effected by this bug?

This bug has been bugging me for quite awhile... awhile ago, I upgraded from FireFox 1.0 to 1.0.1, and had this problem, along with a few other things, so I went back to 1.0... Just recently decided to try upgrading to 1.0.2, and the shortcut problem has come back...

Its pretty frustrating, since I have my own little organizing method, and I have one main shortcut on my desktop, which leads to a main folder, with various other shortcuts to my primary downloading locations, which makes things easier to save to certain locations... Really frustrating when firefox just tries overwriting the shortcut. ](*,)
Vote for Bug <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283730">283730</a>!
zerofoks

Post by zerofoks »

This bug is very irritating. Voted!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.3/Suite 1.7.7 Released and the damage is still not undone :(

drefty

Post by drefty »

### PROBLEM:
There is a well-known Save-As dialog bug with shortcuts. (already detailed in this thread).

### WORKAROUND:
Before saving a file in Firefox open a windows directory in a regular 'Windows Desktop Explorer' window; navigate to your desired location (using your shortcuts) and then cut-and-paste the address of the location into the firefox SaveAs dialog box.

This is a general technique that you can use with any Windows application that does not natively support Shortcuts in the SaveAs dialog box (without having to totally abandon your clever use of shortcuts to simplify navigation and obviate the need to remember long boring directory paths).

### DISCLAIMER:
The workaround listed above is UNSATISFACTORY as a solution, and as such it should be considered only a pale and meager substitute for a *real* solution, which would obviously be ... *Pls Fix This ANNNOYING Bug!*

I joined this forum *specifically* to lament this single bug, and to present this pathetic workaround as evidence of the dismal and dreary paths I and others are now condemned to undertake ... in a futile attempt to make using this application half-way bearable, when it used to be enjoyable.

*Pls Fix This ANNNOYING Bug!*
JakeMont

Good News

Post by JakeMont »

Good News. I downloaded the Mozilla sources on Thursday April 14th, and as far as I can tell the offending line of code has been changed. So it should be fixed in the next build.

(Disclaimer - I did not actually biuld and run the application, but the code change looks 99% likely to fix this issue.)
derwersei

Re: Patch for saving over links problem

Post by derwersei »

JakeMont wrote:I have a solution … a complete hack. You can manually patch the gkwidget.dll file. Changing 1 byte (the flag that tells windows to behave this way) in this file fixes the problem.

DISCALAIMER: I am an experienced programmer, and I believe this to be safe, and it worked for me … but I am making no guarantees of what this will do to your computer at all. PROCEEDAT YOUR OWN RISK.

I am running Mozilla 1.7.6 (The file may or may not be the same for other applications.)

The file gkwidget.dll I have is 120,144 bytes and was created on March 19, 2005, 8:58:00 AM.
It is in “C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org\GRE\1.7.6_2005031907\components” on my computer … but could be elsewhere on yours.

In gkwidget.dll at file offset: 0x7C82 (31874 in decimal) there should be the bytes: 10 00 8D 85. Using a hex file editor, change the first byte to 00 so that the new sequence reads 00 00 8D 85, and save the file.

Good Luck.

Thanks a lot for your effort!

Since I'm using fx (v1.0.2) and there is no gkwidget.dll, i tried that method with firefox.exe (6,627,434 bytes).
It contains the same sequence twice, and it works with the second one at 0x11164E (change 10 to 00).

That's great because now I can finally use my favourite folder navigation method again ^^
quentinwolf

Re: Patch for saving over links problem

Post by quentinwolf »

derwersei wrote:
JakeMont wrote:I have a solution … a complete hack. You can manually patch the gkwidget.dll file. Changing 1 byte (the flag that tells windows to behave this way) in this file fixes the problem.

Good Luck.

Thanks a lot for your effort!

Since I'm using fx (v1.0.2) and there is no gkwidget.dll, i tried that method with firefox.exe (6,627,434 bytes).
It contains the same sequence twice, and it works with the second one at 0x11164E (change 10 to 00).

That's great because now I can finally use my favourite folder navigation method again ^^

Good thinking, I let firefox update to v1.0.3, and used a free hex editor from http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/f ... /xvi32.htm to search for the ' 10 00 8D 85 ' string, and just like you did, I changed the second sequence to 00 00 8D 85 (Changing the first one made it crash upon opening) But the second one fixed the Folder Shortcut error!

:) Yay! Thanks to both of you. I noticed earlier there was no gkwidget.dll file too, but never thought it would have been contained inside of the main firefox.exe file.
Vote for Bug <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283730">283730</a>!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I'm too timid to try that fix without first hearing if there are any side effects, and I surely will not do it on other people's machines.

I applaud your work, but it's really overdue that this regression gets fixed -- how do we get it so that those in charge realize the big mistake they've made?

I haven't heard anyone say that this bug (regression) shouldn't get fixed.

periboob

Post by periboob »

Gentlemen, I cant pay you what this is worth, because, after all, what is the price of one's sanity? This bug was driving me slowly insane. And now it is fixed! :mrgreen:

Jakemont, derwersei, quentinwolf -- Thanks hugely!

{hurrys to turn off automatic updates until this is formally fixed}
DeckMan

Post by DeckMan »

This works in Thunderbird 1.0.2 as well :)
Thank you! :banana: