MozillaZine

@font-face tone-mark floating issue in Thai language. [Win7]

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
kreaninw
 
Posts: 11
Joined: January 15th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Post Posted January 15th, 2012, 6:14 pm

In my language, it has a tone-mark which stay above a letter. The problem is, it's stay above the place it should be, and which we called floating issue. This problem was found/known in an early stage of many programs/apps, for example, Adobe Photoshop before CS or something long long time ago. Firefox itself also had this issue too long time ago but it happen with default font not with @font-face, so it got fixed very fast, thanks.

And of cause, I believe this is a bug. Because it only happen in Firefox. I have tested it with Internet Explorer 9, Google Chrome 16, Opera 11.60, Safari 5.1 too, only Firefox had this issue. Furthermore, I have found a resolve to this issue. This issue won't occur when test under Firefox's safe mode(all add-ons disable mode). However, when I remove all of my add-ons and perform a test in normal mode, the issue still remain. I have tested this to many PC already, my Windows 7 is genuine(cause it's OEM with my laptop :D ) and 100% up-to-date. I have not yet tested this in other OS.

I searched and found that this place is the official bug report forum for Firefox. In fact, I have reported this issue on official Facebook Page since Firefox 6 but the problem still remains. And what annoying me the most is that Firefox is the only one of all browsers having this problem. It's my favorite/main browser both for dairy use and development.

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 25487
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted January 15th, 2012, 7:00 pm

kreaninw wrote:I searched and found that this place is the official bug report forum for Firefox.

No it is not. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MozillaZine

Mozilla's official support forum for Firefox is at support.mozilla.org/questions/ and their bug tracker is at bugzilla.mozilla.org

You can still bring up possible bugs here so it can be discussed before filling a report in bugzilla if there is not one filed there already. That is if it is indeed a bug in Firefox and not related to say one your Extensions as you say it works fine in safe-mode.
(*.mozillaZine.org is not Mozilla!)
The Complaint Department at Mozilla (current complaints) (<It is not a real complaint site but for jokes/testing of bugzilla).
The Complaint department link is borked until unknown time.

Dingler

User avatar
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: November 14th, 2011, 4:41 am

Post Posted January 16th, 2012, 5:39 am

Post a testcase (websites, small HTML file etc) or STR to test the bug.

kreaninw
 
Posts: 11
Joined: January 15th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Post Posted January 16th, 2012, 1:31 pm

@James

Thanks. But in the last post I forgot to add "d" to "remove" as I have removed all my add-ons and perform a test in normal mode and I also tested on various PCs with the latest version of Firefox as well. (sorry English wasn't my local language, so expected to see more grammar errors.)

In short, I believe this is indeed a bug.


@Dingler

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JNU3KI6U

I have uploaded a zip file which is contained a sample HTML file included with font files generated from http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fontface/generator , these font files is free and can be use in all case because it's a national font for my country.

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I want to know if you opened it and have the same result as screen shot above.

And what about the STR?

Dingler

User avatar
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: November 14th, 2011, 4:41 am

Post Posted January 16th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Your ZIP doesn't work (WinRAR doesn't want to extract file, "method unknown" error or something like that).

STR= Step to reproduce, but your file was a good testcase but I cannot test it.

Could you reupload it please?

kreaninw
 
Posts: 11
Joined: January 15th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Post Posted January 17th, 2012, 2:06 am

Dingler wrote:Your ZIP doesn't work (WinRAR doesn't want to extract file, "method unknown" error or something like that).

STR= Step to reproduce, but your file was a good testcase but I cannot test it.

Could you reupload it please?


Sorry :oops:

I use PeaZip to zip that file, I don't know it might have a problem with zip file. A link below I re-uploaded .7z file instead.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IG590P5P

My STR is,

For view a floating issue in Firefox :

1. Open Firefox and view my example HTML file or Thai website that use @font-face in their site, for example http://thaiopensource.org/ .

2. Re-open the page again with Firefox in safe mode this time, you will see the problem disappear.

3. Try to view the page in difference browsers, you will see only Firefox has this problem.

Dingler

User avatar
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: November 14th, 2011, 4:41 am

Post Posted January 18th, 2012, 8:46 am

Thanks, zip file works now. ;)

I need more precisions, because I'm not an expert with fonts (and @font-face)

1/ Position: in Thai language, there are 2 floating positions for marks (vowel or tone, whatever).
Ex:
- simple (low) position: ถึ or ล่
- double (low/high) position: นี้ or ที่
Q: Am I right?

2/ Bad position: with your font, tone marks are displayed on high level instead of low level?
Ex: Image instead of ล่
Q: Am I right?

Just a noobish question: Could it be a bug with the font "tf_srivichai" itself :?:

Anyway with the default font in Firefox, the tone mark is displayed on the low level (when it is alone) as you can see in my post, so it's probably an issue with Firefox.

kreaninw
 
Posts: 11
Joined: January 15th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Post Posted January 18th, 2012, 9:14 am

@Dingler, Thanks.

Dingler wrote:I need more precisions, because I'm not an expert with fonts (and @font-face)

1/ Position: in Thai language, there are 2 floating positions for marks (vowel or tone, whatever).
Ex:
- simple (low) position: ถึ or ล่
- double (low/high) position: นี้ or ที่
Q: Am I right?


You're absolutely right.

Dingler wrote:2/ Bad position: with your font, tone marks are displayed on high level instead of low level?
Ex: Image instead of ล่
Q: Am I right?


You're absolutely right. In the bad position, tone marks or ์ always on high level no matter it has a vowel under it or not.

Dingler wrote:Just a noobish question: Could it be a bug with the font "tf_srivichai" itself :?:


I think it's impossible because :

1.The other browsers or I would say the one which is not using Gecko as their rendering engine doesn't have this issue. (I'm not really a programmer myself, not sure it's relate to Gecko or not.)

2.If this issue was really cause from the font itself, the other browsers would appear the same issue too.

3.Even though difference browsers use difference font file, but all font files were generated at http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fontface/generator which used the same algorithm and setting too.

4.Strangely enough, at first I think it was because of installed add-ons when this issue doesn't occur in safe mode. So, removed all my add-ons should fixed the problem, but it wasn't. Furthermore, I have tested on many PCs with fresh Firefox installed to make sure that this issue didn't only happen to my Firefox.

Dingler

User avatar
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: November 14th, 2011, 4:41 am

Post Posted January 18th, 2012, 11:43 am

Thanks for the answer.

I tested a little testcase I wrote with your font and this on http://thaiopensource.org/
Download the .zip http://www.mediafire.com/?w2fiut7koxncwbj and open the file test.html

I tried with FF in normal mode (HWA on) and in safe mode (HWA off):

Image

So I guess HWA (hardware acceleration) is the culprit.
Another user tested with Firefox and Chrome, the tone marks were displayed on the low level in both browsers, but he had installed previously a lang pack for Asian languages, so I guess it "fixes" the issue.

What do you think?

kreaninw
 
Posts: 11
Joined: January 15th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Post Posted January 19th, 2012, 1:52 am

Dingler wrote:Thanks for the answer.

I tested a little testcase I wrote with your font and this on http://thaiopensource.org/
Download the .zip http://www.mediafire.com/?w2fiut7koxncwbj and open the file test.html

I tried with FF in normal mode (HWA on) and in safe mode (HWA off):

Image

So I guess HWA (hardware acceleration) is the culprit.
Another user tested with Firefox and Chrome, the tone marks were displayed on the low level in both browsers, but he had installed previously a lang pack for Asian languages, so I guess it "fixes" the issue.

What do you think?


Thanks a lot for your help. Now I know this issue's cause by hardware acceleration in Firefox, I have tested it and had the same result as yours. (the most important part of the test is that you have to restart the browser to turn on or off the HWA even though the browser doesn't tell you to do so.)

I had installed lang pack for Asian languages(of cause I'm Thai Windows user :mrgreen: ) but it doesn't happen to fixes the issue.

I reported this to Mozilla so they can fix it as soon as possible. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=719366

Can I do more to let this problem be fixed?

Return to Firefox Bugs


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests