Adobe Flash Player Experiences 100% CPU Usage

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
zzzzzzzzzz

Re: Adobe Flash Player Experiences 100% CPU Usage

Post by zzzzzzzzzz »

I have filed a bug report (Bug 812911) with Mozilla Bugzilla.

Bug 812911
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:I have filed a bug report (Bug 812911) with Mozilla Bugzilla.

Bug 812911

Waste of time. They will just tell you not to toggle dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false and to revert to default config.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Took longer than I though it would :wink:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
zzzzzzzzzz

Post by zzzzzzzzzz »

Frank Lion wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:I have filed a bug report (Bug 812911) with Mozilla Bugzilla.

Bug 812911

Waste of time. They will just tell you not to toggle dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false and to revert to default config.
Though, I had not previously mentioned in this, even if the default configuration is used (where dom.ipc.plugins.enabled is set to true or the Flash Player plugin is overridden to use plugin-container), the plugin-container would not always be used and the problem described otherwise in this thread could still manifest. The notable cases are When the Windows 2000 family of operating systems is used to run Firefox; the plugin-container settings are ignored and the plugins are run in-process and the problem described in this thread
James

Post by James »

Do not be be surprised if it gets set back to RESOLVED WONTFIX again as it should be.

I request that it be fixed in at least the Firefox ESR 10 series.

I take it you forget that the 10.0.*esr is primary for security updates if warranted. There is going to be a 10.0.11esr to be out same time as 17.0 in a couple of days if all goes well and the 17.0esr may not be until early next year.

Edit: A day later, it looks like there may be a 17.0esr coming alongside 10.0.11esr in next day now?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Like I said above, I was using Firefox 10 on Windows 2000 not long ago and it worked fine. The fact that new versions of Flash are *not* compatible with Windows 2000 probably "helps" this situation.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

patrickjdempsey wrote:The fact that new versions of Flash are *not* compatible with Windows 2000 probably "helps" this situation.
Patrick, I just fired up W2k Pro SP4 and am watching some YT Arcade Fire with Flash 11.1.102.55, 35% CPU.
I've read 10.3 was the last W2k compatible version ?
Didn't 'update' Flash but did the 'normal' Uninstaller/cleanup/Reinstall routine with no install 'warnings' and it runs like a top :-k
@ I think I updated every version between the same way since 10.
Thinks....could I 'update' beyond version I'm using...
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
patrickjdempsey

I'm not sure, whenever Flash attempted to update on my machine it crashed out looking for a missing DLL since sometime in the spring.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm, which version are you using?
11.1.102.55 did come out in the spring, 13 April, 2012, I do have all Adobe update stuff disabled/removed/unchecked, so far no missing DLL here.
patrickjdempsey

Since this happened after Java stopped being able to update itself, I had assumed that both platforms had simply stopped supporting W2K. But who knows, it's a work machine... no telling what other users may have done to it, and it's recently been replaced with this shiny "new" XP box.
zzzzzzzzzz

Post by zzzzzzzzzz »

The System Requirements for Adobe products have not always been consistent and often the system requirements are not always correct.

I have found that the 10.1 series installs and functions on Windows 2000 (though, in my opinion, 10,1,82,76 works best from that sereis). The 10.1 series has been discontinued.

The 10.3 series initially would install and function (mostly) on Windows 2000. The ActiveX version of the Adobe Flash Player performed rather poorly compared to the 10.1 series. The regular system plugin version (the one Firefox makes use of) worked well. There are problems with the installers of the 10.3 series. The 10.3 installers do not appear to install the Adobe Flash control panel correctly. Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and newer are not as affected (the Adobe Flash Player ends up displayed in the Windows Control Panel anyways). On Windows 2000, from what I have read (I have not yet tried it myself), the Adobe Flash Player Windows control panel can be installed manually. As of Adobe Flash Player 10,3,183,18, Adobe Flash Player was released with a different installer (though with same apparent GUI) that did not work correctly on Windows 2000. The automatic update might have still worked.

I have not had much use for the any of the 11.x versions of the Adobe Flash Player and have not tested them well. The might be installable on Windows 2000, but would expect them to not work as well as the 10.x series.

My recommendation for Windows 2000 is to use the 10.1 series for the ActiveX Adobe Flash Player and the 10.3 series for the regular system plugin version.

I have been wanting to pack some of the Adobe Flash Player 10.3 plugins into new installers, but have never gotten around to doing it.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :sleeping:
patrickjdempsey

I've never used the installer or the control panel, I always just did a direct install of the Flash plugin. At some point that just stopped working. It's possible that someone else attempted to use the updater, which attempted to run the installer and that borked it. It was some flavor of 10.3 I'm pretty sure. The only problem I ever had with it was that I could never get Vimeo videos to play but everything else was fine.

And now we are just chatting. And you've never been clear about your stability issues or the steps you've taken to problem-solve them.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Indeed, whole thread's very silly,