Firefox 29.0 hangs on close

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Ortho_Fan

Firefox 29.0 hangs on close

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Just wondered if anyone else is having this issue --

After Firefox closes, it does not fully shut down and remains open in Task Manager and has to be End Tasked
SEE -- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1000155

I updated about 24 hours ago, and it's happened, on a sporadic basis, about a dozen times so far. It does not happen on every close-out.

The only add-on I have is AdblockPlus, and I tried disabling it for a few hours. Firefox hanged on close-out twice while ABP was disabled. Also Flash Player doesn't seem to impact it, based on what I can tell. It hangs with FP running or not running.

I also tried Safe Mode. Hanged after shutting down once in Safe Mode.

No crash reports are generated when this happens, either from Firefox or Windows.

I'm stumped.
JayhawksRock

Re: Firefox 29.0 hangs on close

Post by JayhawksRock »

As a test, try restarting Firefox in Firefox Safe Mode ..First clear your cache > Ctrl+Shift+Delete choose only Cache and OK. Delete any cookies for the affected website(s).
Then Go to Menu > Help > Restart with addons disabled (do not check any boxes) then visit some websites and then Close Firefox politely and see what happens
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Hi Jay:

Many thanks. I keep cookies disabled, and have FF set to clear the history, cache, etc., on close out. Nonetheless, I tried Safe Mode again, with add-ons disabled, following your instructions to the letter, and tested it a few times. The first time I closed out, it was fine. The second time, it hanged. The third time, it closed out fine. The only page I visited was Google, my home page. I tried a few other sites the fourth time, and it closed normally, but the fifth time, it hanged again.

OF
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

And you restarted each time in Safe Mode... Yes? If so then... Next to test whether a 3 rd party Toolbar or other App that hooks into Firefox from Windows is misbehaving go to Menu>Tools > Addons > Plugins section and disable everything found there. Then restart Firefox and see what happens.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

JayhawksRock wrote:And you restarted each time in Safe Mode... Yes? If so then... Next to test whether a 3 rd party Toolbar or other App that hooks into Firefox from Windows is misbehaving go to Menu>Tools > Addons > Plugins section and disable everything found there. Then restart Firefox and see what happens.

Okay, just tried that. All add-ons disabled. First time, it closed normally, the second time, it hanged.

Frustrating.

But, many thanks, again, for your suggestions. Think I might file a bug report, or post to the one above.

OF
lexluthor

Post by lexluthor »

Thanks for posting in my thread to let me know you had an issue here.

Here's my thread
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2825537
gara56

Post by gara56 »

I'm having the same problem and can't seem to figure it out either. ](*,)

Went back and checked my plug-ins and it seems Norton Vulnerability Protection 12.2.0.5-1 and Java SE7 U55 10.55.2.14 seem to be the problem for me. FF29 seems to completely close (even in the task manager) if I disable them both.
TheExplorer

Post by TheExplorer »

The same here! I've posted a bugreport here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1004476
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

gara56 wrote:I'm having the same problem and can't seem to figure it out either. ](*,)

Went back and checked my plug-ins and it seems Norton Vulnerability Protection 12.2.0.5-1 and Java SE7 U55 10.55.2.14 seem to be the problem for me. FF29 seems to completely close (even in the task manager) if I disable them both.

In your case... Norton has always been behind in releasing their software for Firefox (not sure about that for other browsers) ... you might want to make sure that you have the latest stuff for Norton... also, a trip to their forum may answer your issue....

As for all others here... you might want to try out Firefox while running your PC/Windows in safe-mode (with network) ... this routine will disable all AV software during testing... so be careful where you browse.... also....
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
TheExplorer

Post by TheExplorer »

dfoulkes wrote:As for all others here... you might want to try out Firefox while running your PC/Windows in safe-mode (with network) ... this routine will disable all AV software during testing... so be careful where you browse.... also....

Debian Wheezy here. Firefox 29 with no profile at all. Fresh start. The same problem.
tsunami231

Post by tsunami231 »

i had this issue too upon first install, Tried new profile uninstalled and resintall FF and safe mode start up none of it fixed it, But since rebooted my pc the issue seems to of stoped or is atlest less frequent
tsunami231

Post by tsunami231 »

I dont know if this helped or not but seems to stoped as i have opend and close about 20+ FF runs and it has shutdown correctly

browser.cache.disk.enable

browser.cache.memory.enable

Where both set to true so i turn browser.cache.disk.enable false and shutdown and restarted opened and close 10 times and FF shut down correctly I then turned browser.cache.disk.enable back to true and turned browser.cache.memory.enable false and shut down and restart firefox 10 more times and it shut it down correctly I then turned both browser.cache.disk.enable & browser.cache.memory.enable back to true and FF still is shutdown correclty, I will update if it started not shutting down properley again

On side not there on Adblock plus forums its beeing reported that its adblock plus cause FF to not shut down correctly, i am un sure as i have adblock plus running and so the hangs have stoped after doing the above
TheExplorer

Post by TheExplorer »

I can easily reproduce it with NoScript. I think it's not Adblock or any other extension.
I always set browser.cache.disk.enable to false after installing Firefox as it makes the browser a bit snappier/faster.
browser.cache.memory.enable is set to true.
tsunami231

Post by tsunami231 »

not einterly sure all i know i since idid what post in my last post Firefox stoped shutting down improperly. atlest it hasnt done it yet.

Dont have no script

Just

Adblock plus
View ie
Selective Cookies
Flash video downloader
Classic theme restorer
Print pages to PDf.

And even when I disable all the addons with start in safemode it still did it till i did what i said in last post
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Hi Tsunami:

I tried toggling the settings, as you described, but it didn't work. (Intermittent hanging regardless of settings changed.)

However, I'll say that it hasn't done it now for about ten closings***, though I set everything back the way it was.

I did notice one thing the last time it happened though. In spite of the fact that FF was listed as running on the Task Manager's "Processes" page, it wasn't listed as running in the "Applications" page. During the few times the various, earlier versions of FF didn't close properly, it was still listed as running in both pages.

OF
-------------------------------
EDIT:
***Oops, I jinxed it. It just did it again when I closed out FF, a minute ago.