Firefox 29.0 hangs on close

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
gai38

Re: Firefox 29.0 hangs on close

Post by gai38 »

I have Adblock Edge NOT Adblock Plus, but have this issue anyway.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

gai38 wrote:I have Adblock Edge NOT Adblock Plus, but have this issue anyway.

Did you change your History setting in Tools > Options > Privacy to NOT clear history at close of Firefox?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
gai38

Post by gai38 »

Yes, I did it. I don't have the issue only if "Clear History on exit" is unchecked. No matter Adblock Plus or Adblock Edge.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

gai38 wrote:Yes, I did it. I don't have the issue only if "Clear History on exit" is unchecked. No matter Adblock Plus or Adblock Edge.

ABP has nothing to do with the glitch... I dont know where that idea came from... Thanks for confirming
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

nikol492006,
I split your post off to here...
> viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2833187
as it was not relevant to this topic.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
pashat

Post by pashat »

Thank you for this post.

After I unchecked "Clear History on exit" option, no hung on close.

I was hearing it comes from non-compatible add-ons.. needs to disable them... new profiles... so on... blah-blah-blah.. nothing worked...
What a simple solution and it worked perfectly for me. (3 PC with Windows 8.1 x64) !

Thank you!!!
ollieg

Post by ollieg »

JayhawksRock wrote:
gai38 wrote:Yes, I did it. I don't have the issue only if "Clear History on exit" is unchecked. No matter Adblock Plus or Adblock Edge.

ABP has nothing to do with the glitch... I dont know where that idea came from... Thanks for confirming

And yet everything works fine if I uninstall AdBlock (uninstall - not just disable!). WITH clean history, cache etc enabled. Or the other way around, disable the "clean"-function and keep AdBlock Plus.

Strange if AdBlock has nothing to do with it.... Pls. explain.

To me it is obvious it is a bug that includes Firefoxs cache handling in combination with AdBlock,
tsunami231

Post by tsunami231 »

well the hangs have become more frequent. Anyone know if Mozilla any closer to fixing this? cause I not about to stop using clear history on exit, nor am i gona remove adblock.

Maybe when Cyberfox get to 29. will try that variation of the browser. this Firefox is still running bugg it starting to get annoying again
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Looks like there is patch for hang on shut down, but its also been sitting in someones review que now for 10 days... no idea what's up with that.
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

tsunami231 wrote:well the hangs have become more frequent. Anyone know if Mozilla any closer to fixing this? cause I not about to stop using clear history on exit, nor am i gona remove adblock.

As a "hopefully" temporary work-around, I un-ticked "clear history on exit," but prior to shutting down Firefox, I click on the History Menu, and click "Clear Recent History." From what I can tell, it does the same thing as the auto-clear feature. It's any extra step, but at least I don't have to constantly call up the Task Manager to close Firefox. (I also use Adblock Plus, and there's no way I'm going to remove it.)

OF
tsunami231

Post by tsunami231 »

NVM cycling clear on exit on and off does not fix this issue either.
tsunami231

Post by tsunami231 »

I have found way to repoduce the exe not closing though atlest on my end.

I go here
https://support.dish.com/index.php

I click the X to close browser and exe does not turn off. it happens every time i go there.

Clear history on exit is on
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Is Dish your ISP? If yes, their support site probably makes a persistant connection.
tsunami231

Post by tsunami231 »

JayhawksRock wrote:Is Dish your ISP? If yes, their support site probably makes a persistant connection.

No it is not. Only other way i find to get FF close the exe correctly, is to have FF go back to the default FF home page built into the browser before closing it
lexluthor

Post by lexluthor »

Did anyone find any better workarounds for this? Has Mozilla even been convinced this is a real issue?