Firefox 30 shows a gap in address bar.

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Malickfan86

Firefox 30 shows a gap in address bar.

Post by Malickfan86 »

Whenever I hover over the address bar, there's a gap between the back/forward buttons and the actual address. When I'm not hovering, though, it's normal. I'm not sure if there's something I'm not seeing or if this is just by design.

It seems very strange.

patrickjdempsey

Re: Firefox 30 shows a gap in address bar.

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Please press Alt > Help > Restart with Addons Disabled to enter Firefox Safe Mode. What happens in Safe Mode?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Malickfan86

Post by Malickfan86 »

In Safe Mode, the indent is present at all times.
Malickfan86

Post by Malickfan86 »

I found out it is an incompatibility issue with HP SimplePass, a program that is no longer maintained.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it with no change.

Then I followed brettz9's solution: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/956230, but only the second step. I deleted the following folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\distribution\bundles\websitelogon@truesuite.com

That eliminated the gap but now I lose the ability to log onto websites with a finger swipe. Is there anyway I could keep that functionality without the gap?

Here are the contents of the folder: https://db.tt/fHosAnV1.
Malickfan86

Post by Malickfan86 »

I tried upgrading SimplePass to version 8 from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... b-124010-1.

It supposedly has browser fixes, so I thought that was the solution. Unfortunately it caused minor issues. I couldn't find any Firefox integration and my fingerprint scanner kept flashing. Since it was completely revamped and re-branded by HP (since Authentec was bought out by Apple), none of my settings transferred over.

I reinstalled my current version, which is version 6. I deleted the folder noted above for now. Hopefully someone is capable of making them compatible.
merinber

Post by merinber »

I'm experiencing the same problem after having upgraded to version 30. I do not have any HP programs on my PC. I can't believe that a program that has been around for 30 versions is still capable of producing such fundamental, sightly problems. Any help would greatly appreciated.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

You may have something interferring with the Site Info element in the URL bar... Do you see the same space on this site https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Fir ... y#Security
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
merinber

Post by merinber »

Thanks for your reply. I tried the following:
1) Disabling all my extensions (3) => no change
2) Reinstalling Firefox => It worked but only until I rebooted, then it came back.
3 I just starting in Safe mode and the the gap is gone too. After I restarted Firefox, the gap does not return.
I'll be interested what happens after I reboot again.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Sounds like one of your extensions or a Plugin, if you have any messing with the URL bar they may not allow that element to appear. When you go back to normal mode reactivate your extensions do it 1 at a time and restart to see if one of them may be the cause. Same procedure for Plugins.

Also, If you have any custom CSS styles they can cause a problem specially if they relate to fonts.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Malickfan86

Post by Malickfan86 »

Is there any way to modify the HP SimplePass files to make the gap go away?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It may be possible to fix with CSS, but someone with it installed would have to figure out specifically what's causing it to come up with a solution.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
merinber

Post by merinber »

Today after rebooting my PC--lo and behold--the gap was still gone. Again, trying to remove extensions did not help. Yesterday I restarted Firefox in Safe Mode, which removed the gap. Today I restarted my PC for the first time since last night. This doesn't make much sense to me, but I 'm definitely not complaining.
Malickfan86

Post by Malickfan86 »

Where can I make such a request?
Malickfan86

Post by Malickfan86 »

So for now I fixed it! I'm not sure how it happened, but I'll let you know what I did for others with the same problem.

I realized that Web Log On was disabled in the HP SimplePass software, so I re-enabled it. I just disabled it a few days ago when I started to have an issue. Then I went into Firefox's Plugins menu and selected Never Activate. I restarted Firefox, went back into the menu, and selected Always Activate. The icon was back, there was no gap in the address bar, and swipe logins worked.

since everything seemed all right, I re-upgraded to Firefox 30. I didn't see the SimplePass icon, gap, or swipe log on prompts. Then I went into Control Panel and repaired the HP SimplePass installation. I opened Firefox and saw the icon and saw the gap, with no swipe log on. I did the same thing as last time: disabled and re-enabled in Plugins.

Somehow that fixed my issues!