Firefox 41.0 breaks Webmail display

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
TexasTim65

Firefox 41.0 breaks Webmail display

Post by TexasTim65 »

Prior versions of Firefox worked fine (tested on 3 different PC's). Once I updated each machine to version 41.0 webmail no longer works correctly even in safe mode. Chrome and other browsers continue to work just fine so it's something in version 41 that causes the problem.

Specifically, I use webmail.airmail.net. It appears the rich webmail interface is provided by one_mail (that's what I see in a tab). What happens is that the central part of the browser page that displays the mail is always blank. When I click on different folders in the left hand side the screen flashes briefly and show's what should be there but immediately it's covered up by a big blank area that seems to somehow bounce back to the main screen before any selection of folder is made.

I am happy to provide page source or inspect element info if required to help figure out what happened.

Tim
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox 41.0 breaks Webmail display

Post by DanRaisch »

Clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Firefox will "Use custom settings for History"->Show Cookies button).
gszakacs

Post by gszakacs »

This is not just a cache issue. My e-mail provider, Everyone.net, uses the same rich webmail and posted this notice:

Firefox 41 issues

We have seen incompatibilities with Firefox v41 with our web mail service. We recommend to not install, or downgrade to the previous version of Firefox. The recent version breaks the rich web mail service on all OS systems that we have seen. You can download the Firefox v40.0.3 here. (link to 40.0.3)

It would be nice to know if this bug has been filed, since I don't see any indication of a fix in the newer beta versions.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

We have seen incompatibilities with Firefox v41 with our web mail service. We recommend to not install, or downgrade to the previous version of Firefox. The recent version breaks the rich web mail service on all OS systems that we have seen. You can download the Firefox v40.0.3 here. (link to 40.0.3)
From what is posted above 'they' are saying that 'their' product breaks on all OS's that they have tested on... they are not saying that other mail services that provide 'rich web mail service's' are having issues... sounds like they need to dig into their product?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Note also that as other webmail providers are not reporting this problem it doesn't seem that there would be anything that needs to be "fixed" in Firefox. As dfoulkes suggests, the work seems to be for Everyone.net to find and fix the problem.
gszakacs

Post by gszakacs »

In that case I guess it's up to "one_mail" who provides the software to Everyone.net among others (see OP).
Still it seems odd that it works in all versions up to 40.0.3 and breaks in 41.x
Any way of debugging this problem myself? I'd post a link, but you'd need an account to actually see the problem.
gszakacs

Post by gszakacs »

OK, having just updated to FireFox 42, I tried the "rich web mail" interface again and it works. Suspicious that this was not a FireFox issue, I reverted to 41.0.2 and rich web mail works on that, too. Also Everyone.net pulled the "Firefox 41 issues" warning off their status page. So apparently this has been fixed by one_mail.