Firefox not syncing properly

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
DaComboMan

Firefox not syncing properly

Post by DaComboMan »

Have 47.0.1 running on Windows 10.

Installed it on Manjaro (dual boot) and it only partially syncs (not even half extensions) but bookmarks and everything else seems to be okay (Manjaro specific bookmarks were added as expected, by the distro itself).
the-edmeister

Re: Firefox not syncing properly

Post by the-edmeister »

First, Sync doesn't actually synchronize extensions - it installs extensions from the AMO server if the extension is hosted at AMO. Extensions that are hosted elsewhere need to be manually installed. And AFAIK, Sync won't even look for them if the "updateURL" even if is specified in the install.rdf file; but that feature may not be used much anymore, it was more commonly found in extensions 10 years ago, than it is now-a-days. The addition of a requirement that "updates" come from a secure HTTPS sort of killed off the use of that feature for the few extensions who were using that in the golden days of Firefox, as I recall.

Second, depending upon the extension the user preferences may be synchronized or they won't; not all extensions are made to work with Sync and the few that are seem to have the "toggle" for Sync hidden in about:config. And I have yet to see whether a particular extension is "Sync-compatible" mentioned in "About this Add-on" under Features for any at the AMO website.And the hell is going to look thru about:config for prefs like this services.sync.prefs.sync.addons. and enable each one for each extension. Undocumented preferences that an advanced user might no even stumble across.

A little over a year ago I was installing software on a new PC that I had just built and when I installed Firefox I used Sync to populate the new Firefox installation with the 25 extensions I use, (along with everything else that Sync is supposed to be able to "synchronize"). And I was "set up" with 2 different Sync accounts for my two most used Profiles for using Sync to get them both moved to the new PC; but I never bothered with even using the 2nd one on the new PC.
I wasn't really a surprised that 5 extensions that I get from non-Mozilla websites weren't "sync'd", I quickly remembered reading that Sync installed them afresh from the AMO server. But when only AdBlock Plus "worked properly" due their "subscription filtersets" that I was using - as I recall those "filtersets" were automatically installed from the AMP source for filterset installation and updates every 3 days - but nothing else with regards to "user prefs or settings" for any extension was carried thru by Sync.

After pissing away 3 to 4 hours I just gave up with Sync on the first Sync account and copied that Profile over from the old PC. Did the same with the 2nd Profile I had intended Sync to handle.

IMO, Sync is like a hunting dog that doesn't hunt. Good companion and "friend", but occasionally if you happen to work late he craps inside of the back door due to whoever fed him in your absence not letting him out to "do his business" afterwards. Not only do you have to clean "it" your shoes off, but you better remember to clean it off of the bottom edge of the back door, too. or the "fragrance" may linger!

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.