error 500--Internal Server Error

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
fduqu002

error 500--Internal Server Error

Post by fduqu002 »

I have been trying to make a payment on bellsouth, but when I click on the pay now icon. I get the following message. I thought it was my wireless, but it worked fine under that devil called IE.

Error 500--Internal Server Error
From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:
10.5.1 500 Internal Server Error

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
royha1

Error Code 500 on certain WEB Sites

Post by royha1 »

Ever since upgrading from v 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 and then to 1.0.6 in just a few days time, I have been having a similar problem:

"Error Code 500

This is one of the problem sites:
https://online.bbandt.com/online/servle ... nbbt1.html

Also cannot download updates to Extensions, Themes or Firefox itself. Download panel shows some progress then stops completely with no more data coming from Server.

Am using following Extensions:
Forcastfox 0.8
IE View 1.2.4
AutoForm 0.5.6
Googlebar 0.9.12.01
SmoothWheel 0.4.7.20050605
Bandwidth Tester 0.5.4

Any help will be appreciated as I now have to go to IE to access these few troublesome sites.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not!
marellis

error 500 message

Post by marellis »

I've had a problem with this in conjunction with Firefox (all builds). The most common response to queries concerning it was that it was a problem on the other end. IE based browsers worked though.

After some trial and error I found that the Firefox/Mozilla, when going to secured sites, would kick back an error 500 if using a proxy at the time. I would turn off the proxy and go back to "direct connection" and everything would work fine. I was using the proxy for a Propel accelerator.

For a short time I was having some success with the user agent switcher (IE setting). That was short lived and erratic at best.

This may only take care of certain instances and it may very well be that the proxy setting triggers a problem at the other end. It could also indicate something could be changed in the Firefox to remedy the problem.

Hope this helps
royha1

Post by royha1 »

I had set up the problem sites to view in Internet Explorer (using ie View), so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Well....funny thing happened a week or so ago. The Error 500 problem fixed itself!!!!!

But, as a matter of fact, I was using the Earthlink Accelerator Proxy when it was failing, so it must have had something to do with the Proxy.

Anyhow, everything is working like it should and I'm back to happy Firefox Browsing again.

Thanks for your reply.
marellis

error 500

Post by marellis »

For royha 1;

When you said you were having problems with some of the downloads starting and stopping this may be a possibility.

Some data downloads get corrupted when they go through an accelerator. Why? -dunno. I have noticed it a number of times with my propel accelerator. I shut it off when I do program downloads or anything other than pictures.

This isn't connected with Firefox/Mozilla. It happens on any browser I've used.

Later
royha1

Post by royha1 »

Marellis:

I haven't had that problem lately with downloads using Accelerator, but have seen it occassionally in the past.

Since the original problem disappeared, I haven't had any problems with Updates.
llht24

Post by llht24 »

I've just read this and have been trying to figure out how to fix this error. I just started getting this error message right after I installed a DVD burner on my system. This has nothing to do with the problem, I don't think? I've never had this problem and it is really vexing. I use Earthlink with Accelerator and always have. I used Firefox now for over 3 yrs and have never had this. I really need to know how to fix this bug!
I use my puter for my business and this is getting to be a pain in the neck!
Will someone who knows what they are talking about PLEASE email me with the solution asap?
Thx Linda Henry llht24@earthlink.net
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Re: error 500--Internal Server Error

Post by sciguyryan »

fduqu002 wrote:Server Error
From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:
10.5.1 500 Internal Server Error

Server error (5xx numbers) have nothing at all to do with Firefox.... they are breaks in the server code. Best suggestion I can give is contact the webmaster for the site(s) in question and ask them about it.

-- Ryan Jones
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
llht24

Fixed

Post by llht24 »

I kept searching the knowledge base and also Firefox bugs. Found the answer. I went in and changed the proxy from localhost 8080 (which is what Earthlink w/ Accelerator says to do) to Direct Connection to the Internet.
Also found out a few other things that will now get this dumb Earthlink toolbar off my back. It's a pain!

Thank you for a quick response and I do appreciate it.

Linda