Bookmarks icon doesn't work in "More tools.."

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
pdrummond

Bookmarks icon doesn't work in "More tools.."

Post by pdrummond »

The Bookmarks icon works as expected in the toolbar. But when moved to the Overflow menu (>> icon), it only shows recent bookmarks - very unexpected.
Markerburson

Re: Bookmarks icon doesn't work in "More tools.."

Post by Markerburson »

Yeah! Even i am also facing the same problem.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

That's the behavior of the Library button, which I think is intentional. I can't tell if this is also intentional. Filed bug 1420146. We'll see.

Edit: Long story short, for technical reasons, this is expected behavior. The issue might be revisited next year.
pdrummond

Post by pdrummond »

No, this is a bug. A button should have the same behavior no matter where it is located. And a bookmark button should show actual bookmarks. <stream> Changing the behaviour to display only new bookmarks is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of - make a different button called "New bookmarks" FGS. The people who make these decisions need to go to UI school. It reminds me of the *years* it took THunderbird to fix the address book priority so when you typed "Bob" you got the nickname, not Bobagoo or Bobby etc. </stream>
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

You gotta RTFM with the changes in Firefox 57 - see this KB article and watch the animation sequence.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bo ... he-toolbar

Bottom line - there now two "bookmarks buttons" in 57.

The button that appears by default is the Library button (that label doesn't appear until it is moved into the Customize palette) and the tooltip for that button (on hover) says View history, saved bookmarks, and more - that is the button with the truncated bookmarks menu which primarily shows "Recent highlights".

Where as the Bookmarks Menu button is hidden in the palette and works more like (but not exactly) what has been in Firefox for many years. "Get a load" of that Bookmarks Menu button - a Star resting on a couch - which may be what users are gonna need to deal with these silly changes -- a psychoanalysts couch -- after dealing with these silly changes. Maybe the result of too much weed use while programming?

And I thought I had already seen all the silly sh!t that Mozilla could possibly come up with over the last 15 years - I commend their performance.
They may have out done their previous best silliest sh!t with Fx 57 !

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i never missed that button since v4 - i use the bookmarks toolbar directly while my bm are in a subfolder of that and those dont exceed a button. pretty cool^^ means - i dont use the bm toolbar, but the library ctrl+shift+b.