Font size of html selection/option code tiny

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
coastalguy

Font size of html selection/option code tiny

Post by coastalguy »

I use local websites on my PC, along with php and mysql databases to keep track of various personal information. Since several updates ago, I noticed when I use the dropdown selection html code, the variables on the <option> tag appear so tiny that they are extremely hard to read. There was an addon that fixed this problem, however with the latest update of Firefox, it no longer works, Does anyone have a fix for this, as I have had to switch to another browser in order to be able to read my dropdown options. :(
Gingerbread Man

Re: Font size of html selection/option code tiny

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Unfortunately, you can't set the font size for <option> elements; that's bug 1350258.

You can increase the size of all UI text along with <option> elements:
  1. Enter the following into the location bar:

Code: Select all

about:config?filter=layout.css.devPixelsPerPx
  2. Press the big button to bypass the warning.
  3. In the search results, double-click layout.css.devPixelsPerPx and set it to something like 1.3 or higher.
  4. If UI text is too big now, you can adjust it in userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

* { font-size: 14.5px !important; }
coastalguy

Post by coastalguy »

I have the other text just the size I want and do not want to make it any larger. Also, even though I have tried increasing text size in windows and chrome options, it does not do anything for the selection/option dropdowns. Since I asked this a number of updates before, with no fix, is this to be considered in the future, or do I just stay with Chrome?
Gingerbread Man

coastalguy wrote:Also, even though I have tried increasing text size in windows and chrome options, it does not do anything for the selection/option dropdowns.
What do you mean by that? What "chrome options"? Modifying the aforementioned about:config preference as indicated most definitely does work. Also, the text size for <select> isn't buggy; you can change it normally with CSS.
coastalguy wrote:Since I asked this a number of updates before, with no fix, is this to be considered in the future, or do I just stay with Chrome?
It's not getting fixed any time soon. You can click either "Vote" or "Follow" to be notified of any changes by e-mail. If you'd rather not sign up for a Bugzilla account, you can get an RSS feed via BugzillaToAtom.Affine.Space.
coastalguy

Post by coastalguy »

Sorry, I was thinking of Firefox font options, not Chrome. On my Chrome, the drop downs are fine, it is Firefox that I prefer to use that I am looking for a fix on this. I do have it set to a larger text on my CSS, which is also working on Chrome, but again not on Firefox. On CSS, I have "input, select and textarea" set to 22 px, again which applies to Chrome, but again not Firefox. Thanks for the info on the RSS feed, I will use that.
Gingerbread Man

coastalguy wrote:it is Firefox that I prefer to use that I am looking for a fix on this.
Well, since you're refusing to work around this in about:config and userChrome.css, the only other alternative would be to create a new profile and set browser.tabs.remote.autostart to false there. After restarting, multi-process would be disabled and the bug wouldn't be an issue. It's not a setting to use on a regular profile, since it has a performance downside and might even break add-ons.
coastalguy wrote:I have "input, select and textarea" set to 22 px, again which applies to Chrome, but again not Firefox.
There's no issue with any of those. It's just <option> that can't have its font size changed. In other browsers, it gets inherited from the parent <select>

You're welcome.