A few favicons refuse to show up in the toolbar

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
pschroeter

A few favicons refuse to show up in the toolbar

Post by pschroeter »

Since I upgraded to Quantum a few weeks ago there are a few favicons in my Bookmarks toolbar that refuse to download and refresh. It's not a big problem, but it is annoying because one of them is my Facebook News Feed which I visit dozens of time a day. And what makes it extra annoying is another link to my Facebook Activity Log, that I keep right next to it on the toolbar does show the Facebook favicon so my eye and mouse are naturally drawn to it by mistake.

Another complaint I have is I wish I could refresh all the bookmark favicons that don't have them since I imported them from my older Firefox 56. I once had an extension that did exactly that, plus it tested whether the site was still accessible.
allande

Re: A few favicons refuse to show up in the toolbar

Post by allande »

Worth a try: delete the bookmarks, visit the site from scratch, then make a new bookmark for it and see if the favicon sticks.

You may lose too much if you have made too many recent bookmarks since the change, but if you copy your places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite from your old profile to your new one it should copy the old favicons you had.
pschroeter

Re: A few favicons refuse to show up in the toolbar

Post by pschroeter »

allande wrote:Worth a try: delete the bookmarks, visit the site from scratch, then make a new bookmark for it and see if the favicon sticks.
Thank you, that actually worked. All I did was use the the blank icon to go to the site I wanted and then made a new bookmark by dragging it to the Bookmarks Toolbar.

I forgot to mention that a few days earlier I got a brand new computer and all the bookmarks had been imported from the old setup. I think I even recreated my Firefox profile by copying the contents of my old Firefox profile into the new one. I was doing many things at once setting up the new computer and now feel dumb that I didn't think of just downloading the bookmark again on my own.