FF58: embedded video playback problems

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
ejm_dc

FF58: embedded video playback problems

Post by ejm_dc »

I am having trouble playing video back, particularly with Netflix. I'm pretty sure if has to do with the media.autoplay.enabled setting -- everything works fine if that's set to true -- which I'd like to keep set to false.

When it's set to false if I try to actually play a movie, I just get the playback controls but I can't play video. The problem seems to be that the playback controls are all set as if autoplay is happening (i.e., I get a pause button but the video is already paused because of the media.autoplay.enabled setting, and I'm not given any way to hit play).

I've tried it with a new profile and in safe mode and the results are the same. I've also tried turning DRM on and off, but that doesn't help either. Is anyone else having this problem? Are there any other good ways of stopping autoplay that actually work?

I'm using FF58.02 (64bit) in Windows 10.

Thanks!
Brummelchen

Re: FF58: embedded video playback problems

Post by Brummelchen »

netflix need silverlight which is no longer usable - use 52 esr instead when you need such plugin. and complain to netflix because using such outdated technology.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... -and-video
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Brummelchen wrote:netflix need silverlight
No longer true. I can play Netflix videos running Firefox 58.0.2 under Win 10 without Silverlight.

That is, as long as I have media.autoplay.enabled set to true. When set to false, I can see the video load but it won't play.
ejm_dc

Post by ejm_dc »

DanRaisch wrote:
Brummelchen wrote:netflix need silverlight
No longer true. I can play Netflix videos running Firefox 58.0.2 under Win 10 without Silverlight.

That is, as long as I have media.autoplay.enabled set to true. When set to false, I can see the video load but it won't play.
Exactly. For what it's worth, with media.autoplay.enabled set to false, I also have problems with other video player controls, such as YouTube. I can usually get around the pause button by clicking it a couple of times. No go for Netflix and CNN Go and likely others.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

thank you

set it to enable and try instead:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -autoplay/
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i hope mozilla will deprecate this setting soon, anytime i read about media.autoplay.enabled it is causing trouble because either video not showing or auto-start messed up.