Consumes All RAM

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
borgward

Consumes All RAM

Post by borgward »

FF if left on will consume all RAM. I flush cache, disable all extension, shutdown, restart. computer. Stay off line, Start FF to blank page. Do not start any other apps. Leave FF on for several hours and FF has used up all RAM. Linuxmint 20.3 FF 100. Crucial RAM has been tested showing no problems.
DanRaisch

Re: Consumes All RAM (Linux)

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode It does more than just disable extensions.
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

Also see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
therube

Re: Consumes All RAM

Post by therube »

has used up all RAM
Just what does "all RAM" mean?
What is (FF) CPU usage at this time?

Is FF from Mozilla or from your repo?
If the latter, does the same occur if you use FF from Mozilla?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
borgward

Post by borgward »

RAM does increase in safe mode but not by much.
FF is from Linux mint - Mozilla Firefox for Linux Mint mint-001 - 1.0
Mint's System Monitor reports amount o RAM used and cache. Don't know if cache refers to that because of FF or other things. I only notice cache last 2 times I checked the monitor. It does seem to rise rapidly compared to RAM in general

As for all RAM, I mean almost all ram, as the OS has used some of it to start. If FF is left on for a few hours with nothing else running and off line, it will use enough RAM for the computer to lockup and then I have to restart the comp.

I will reboot the computer and run FF in safe mode and take better notes. Considering installing mint on an extra computer and run FF only to see what happens. No add ons, no extra applications, etc.
borgward

Post by borgward »

How do I determine if FF is in safe mode? Can safe mode still be on after I reboot FF? FF is no longer taking up all the remaining RAM so I am wondering if that's because it is still in safe mode. NoScript is enabled. AdBlock plus is not.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

borgward wrote:How do I determine if FF is in safe mode? NoScript is enabled. AdBlock plus is not.
If there are any extensions enabled (NoScript is an extension), then you are not in Safe Mode. Use the Firefox menu button, Help, Troubleshoot Mode. Hit the Restart button in the dialog that pops up.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.