[Needs Testing] Patch for Bug# 243078-Native Theme Rendering

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

And with that, this thread is officially carrion.

- Chris
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

Cusser wrote:There's been enough mud-slinging about the menu changes, can we all please just let it go?
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
Jweb_Guru

Post by Jweb_Guru »

Voting most definitely has a purpose - getting yourself CCed to the MNG bug without killing Bugzilla.

Seriously, there's nothing inherently wrong with the voting process, and there's no particular reason to get rid of it except that people try to use it as a valid argument position - "This bug has xxx votes, it must be FIXED!" The flaws in this have been pointed out by the developers time and time again. That said, as long as people can accept that votes have little to nothing to do with the actual likelihood that a bug will be fixed, or when (crashes always receive much higher priority, unless they're rare and difficult to reproduce, but rarely get above five votes), voting should remain in Bugzilla.

Telling people not to bother voting, on the other hand, is dangerous, because that's when you really get people doing the whole "advocacy and commentary in Bugzilla" thing, flaming others, and generally making the situation unhelpful. Voting helps siphon off some of this.

And, finally, thank you, Nitin. Please stop flaming Thumper (or anyone else, for that matter). "Responsibility" is not an issue with this bug. Thumper was accurately pointing out that people started to work on the native theme rendering bug only because his bug got fixed, and he is also accurate in stating that there are structural problems with Mozilla (though not really the fix) that could not have been fixed shortly without changing the user experience more than James wanted to. We're (trying to) work on fixes for those, and they should show up in 2.0.

I'm not sure that trunk baking for the new patch will actually help, though, because trunk still has native menus (though I wish someone'd taken the imperfect solution out). So this may just not get in. Pity, but there you have it.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

The fact is that so far I've never seen a bug which was fixed because of the amount of votes it has. Voting appears to be a placebo rather than anything else.

- Chris
Old RPGM35

Post by Old RPGM35 »

Elfguy wrote:
supergirl260 wrote:it will probly get into the firefox 1.5.1 version though

I won't make any 1.5.x unless work continues on the branch. Unless I'm mistaken, trunk is the code that will only appear in 2.0?
Yes, stuff in the trunk will appear in 2.0
Elfguy

Post by Elfguy »

So are there still builds made from branch + this patch? I'm kind of dubious of recommending users to use trunk, so until it's stable enough I'm telling people to stay with 1.0 for now.
Old RPGM35

Post by Old RPGM35 »

The only Branch build i know of with the patch in it is the one made by tongle some time ago, as the patch got backed out of the branch
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

I'll produce and distribute a branch build with this patch when 1.5 is released.
Jweb_Guru

Post by Jweb_Guru »

Keep in mind, though, that the Classic Menus extension gives the same behavior, with the added bonus that the people you recommend it to can still use the autoupdater (unless the customized builds are going to have their own channels). So, for now, I'd suggest that over trunk or customized builds.

Actually, though, when it comes to trunk, about a week ago was about as stable as I think it's going to get for awhile. Cairo is going to land soon, and then you really won't want to recommend it to people.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Nonetheless, if you want a 1.5 build with native theme rendering feel free to help yourself:

http://www.cusser.net/misc/firefox/Fire ... eTheme.exe [Self-extracting RAR]
http://www.cusser.net/misc/firefox/Fire ... eTheme.rar
BoxerBoi76

Post by BoxerBoi76 »

Anyone know the status of this from James perspective? Is this going to make it for 2.0? I believe Asa stated (in his blog) that this was going to be a goal for 2.0 around the time that "#303806 [Firefox:General]-Wallpaper patch for better appearance on Windows XP / Luna [Win]" landed.

BoxerBoi76
mw22

Post by mw22 »

The patch probably suffers from bitrot.
BoxerBoi76

------- Comment #273 From James Ross 2006-03-13 14:55 PST

Post by BoxerBoi76 »

------- Comment #273 From James Ross 2006-03-13 14:55 PST [reply] -------

Until a decision is made on bug 313674, no, it cannot go forward. That decision critically affects the resulting appearance, and I can't call stage 1 (CSS-only version of the theme) done until that is decided.

Can someone assist James in getting a decision on bug 313674???

BoxerBoi76
mw22

Post by mw22 »

You might wan to cc Mike Beltzner.