[Needs Testing] Patch for Bug# 243078-Native Theme Rendering

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

polidobj wrote:Ugh I hadn't noticed this when testing on the trunk because I hadn't customized the toolbars. New profile and all you know. But if you put the location bar on the same line with the bookmarks toolbar then the bookmarks toolbar is squeezed down to nothing, not even a chevron. It's quite a nasty regression. Seeing on trunk and branch now.

It seems that Bug 311675 is dealt with by the patch silver just landed on the branch only so far.

Oops I had made the bad assumption that all relavent patches had landed on the trunk and were only missing fixes on the branch.
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Seems from the bug 243078 folks are getting antsy about wrapping this up, now that Silver has landed the last 2 parts..wonder if someone could do a respin?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20051012 Firefox/1.4.1 ID:2005101205
BoxerBoi76

Post by BoxerBoi76 »

stonedyak wrote:Anyone noticed that the vertical alignment of the menu items is odd now? They seem a bit too high.

Is this what you're talking about? The FF menubar is now one pixel higher vertically compared to IE.

Maybe we can file a bug and someone could create a quick patch to address all of the minor issues that have been discovered if any aside from this.

BUILD: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20051012 Firefox/1.4.1 ID:2005101210

BoxerBoi76
pljones

Post by pljones »

Can I just say "well done folks" for getting this fixed. This thread has been a great example of how open source development can progress features in short timespans to meet customer demand and pre-empt negative feedback. I really do think that, without this patch, 1.5 would have drawn serious adverse commentary.
polidobj

Post by polidobj »

BoxerBoi76 wrote:
stonedyak wrote:Anyone noticed that the vertical alignment of the menu items is odd now? They seem a bit too high.

Is this what you're talking about? The FF menubar is now one pixel higher vertically compared to IE.
<pic snip>
Maybe we can file a bug and someone could create a quick patch to address all of the minor issues that have been discovered if any aside from this.

BUILD: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20051012 Firefox/1.4.1 ID:2005101210

BoxerBoi76

IMHO if you compare the menu to the bookmarks, the bookmarks look like they are vertically centered better. Also I think the bookmark icons could look better if they are moved down a pixel too. The google icon is the most telling there.
polidobj

Post by polidobj »

pljones wrote:Can I just say "well done folks" for getting this fixed. This thread has been a great example of how open source development can progress features in short timespans to meet customer demand and pre-empt negative feedback. I really do think that, without this patch, 1.5 would have drawn serious adverse commentary.

Agreed. Any further work needed is pretty much just polish. And those type of changes are allowed pretty much up until release.
Tamingsari2k

Post by Tamingsari2k »

Anyone can tell me, what is Bug Of Native Theme Rendering & what is afect for my browser? I can't see anything... It mean "classic.jar"(Build in theme)???
:: Inspirasi Tamingsari ::
P4-3000Mhz@4000Mhz, 2GhZ Kingmax, RAID 0,1 Raptor 10K, Ati Radeon x1600 Pro. 512mb.
texasfett

Post by texasfett »

Native Theme Rendering solves a problem where menus and popups looked funny after a change was made to make them look better under the default Windows XP theme.

I am very glad this has made it into the branch. The difference was pretty shocking whenever I wasn't using the Classic menus extension.
Tamingsari2k

Post by Tamingsari2k »

Can you show me the screen shot?
P4-3000Mhz@4000Mhz, 2GhZ Kingmax, RAID 0,1 Raptor 10K, Ati Radeon x1600 Pro. 512mb.
James C

Post by James C »

Tamingsari2k,

According to your signature you're using Windows XP so you won't notice any difference (unless you use the Windows Classic theme)
Firefox 2
Thunderbird 1.5.0.8
WinXP Pro
Tamingsari2k

Post by Tamingsari2k »

I don't know what is wrong with the browser? Before I modify the "classic.jar" my browser menu is too high!
It is the bug? Here is my browser screen shot after I modify "classic.jar" : http://planet.time.net.my/technologypar ... sicjar.gif
psl

Post by psl »

hi just wondering how to show a picture of my firefox on the site cause i think something is wrong on my version. When i click bookmarks, the menu has a classic them to it rather than looking like it was from xp (ie. it is too brown) it looks totally different from IE and the old way on my system looked better.
polidobj

Post by polidobj »

Well with the 'fix' for bug 311675 that problem has gone from totally broken to minimally fixed with unexpected behavior. My opinion is that the bookmark toolbar shouldn't collapse due to the location bar.

It would be nice if this could be how it works. Give the location bar a minimum width and when the width is equal to or less than the min-width then the bookmarks toolbar should start losing space to the location bar. That minimum width would be equal to or a bit greater than the search bar.

It had taken a few fixes since 1.0 to get the bookmark toolbar to finally coexist pretty well with the location bar. And now that's gone up in smoke with this change. A bit frustrating.
Jweb_Guru

Woot!

Post by Jweb_Guru »

(A) Great job, everyone who actually submitted bugfixes, etc. (about four people) and everyone who tested these builds (a lot more). Also thanks to the various reviewers and superreviewers, Asa for approving it and Chase for landing this. It's really cool that we have this on branch.

(B) But it doesn't have to stay there. If we don't fix the regressions soon, they could easily back it out like they wanted to in the first place. It would be silly to think there aren't at least a few more waiting to be found, either, with the vast increase in testing. It's a good thing this got checked in early, as it has a fighting chance, but anyone who can patch a regression for this should do it - it makes it that much more likely that it stays in.

(C) Try to file new bugs for issues you find, rather than spamming the old bug. The old bug now exists exclusively for the purpose of doing a proper fix on trunk - it may depend on branch issues, but it's not a branch bug any longer. Patches should also try to address problems on branch, not trunk (which is unfortunate for me, as I build branch...). There are several bugs 'fixed' on branch that should wait for real patches on trunk.

Overall, though, this is awesome. It now looks like there's a > 95% chance (whatever pessimism I may've expressed up there) that this fix will stay in for 1.5. Silver, you rock!
mw22

Post by mw22 »

twpol, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311675 might more or less suffer from https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=309110 which states that overflow:hidden shouldn't change anything.
But apparently the patch seems to work. Not for me though. But if the patch doesn't work, this might be the cause.

edit:
Ok, the patch seems to work, so my previous remark is probably for the most part nonsense.
But I'm a bit scared of the patch, though.