[Needs Testing] Patch for Bug# 243078-Native Theme Rendering

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

mcm_ham wrote:This may or may not be relevant to this bug's patch but thought people would be interested to hear there is talk afoot of switching the graphics backend of Firefox 1.5 from GDI+ to Cairo. Linked in the article is a build to try it out.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/tor/arch ... sit_1.html

That's only for SVG. But it's good because it shows how well cairo is coming along which bodes well for 2.0.
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
twpol

Post by twpol »

Legendre wrote:I don't think it's normal to have this apparence for the URL box and the search box drop-down with the classic theme. Am I wrong? The drop down in the Customize UI is right though.

As I said in an earlier post, the auto-complete stuff is failing to turn off the popup apperance it gets.
twpol

Post by twpol »

mw wrote:
twpol wrote:Actually, the best thing you can do is decide the most evil way I can fix the text colour problem on the Windows XP theme.

You may use: anything available in C++ from within nsNativeThemeWin.
You may not use: any JavaScript.

:D

That's a big problem, isn't it?
There isn't any native theme code that with -moz-appearance css code draws the text color, is there?
Maybe just invent a new color keyword in nsLookAndFeel.cpp, etc?

You are quite correct. The evil method would be to make the theme code set an attribute on the menubar when rendering that would be used to select the colour in the CSS. It is, however, very very evil.

A new colour keyword, as you say, is probably the only real solution.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Just out of curiousity, will the author of the current patch in 243078 have anything new to post soon?

While I personally use Linux myself and avoid Win32 when possible, this will be useful in making sure my parents continue to use Firefox on their Win32 boxes. Anything that maintains platform parity is a Good Thing, IMO.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
twpol

Post by twpol »

TheOneKEA wrote:Just out of curiousity, will the author of the current patch in 243078 have anything new to post soon?

I suggest you read this thread again. I said very clearly that I was away until Friday. It is now Friday and I am working on this damn bug, when Firefox eventually ****ing compiles.

Ok?

P.S. Unless you have anything to contribute, is it worth posting at all?
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

twpol wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote:Just out of curiousity, will the author of the current patch in 243078 have anything new to post soon?

I suggest you read this thread again. I said very clearly that I was away until Friday. It is now Friday and I am working on this damn bug, when Firefox eventually ****ing compiles.

Ok?

*blink*

OK.

Look, it was not my intention to anger you. I was merely asking about whether or not a new patch would be posted soon. I wasn;t trying to hound you, or rush you, or make you upset in any way, all right?

twpol wrote:P.S. Unless you have anything to contribute, is it worth posting at all?

Yes.

I am posting because I wanted to know if a new patch was available, because if a new one will be available soon, I intend to download one of the Win32 builds incorportating said patch and test it!
twpol

Post by twpol »

I new patch will be posted when a new patch is ready. A new patch will be ready when it is ready. Download the test build if you want to test anything.

As I said in the thread, I am expecting to have a new patch ready later today. Why must you then go and ask before then if anything is coming? Why not just read the thread and understand? I am annoyed because everything you asked was clearly answered already.

Reading this ******* forums is bad for my health.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

twpol wrote:I new patch will be posted when a new patch is ready. A new patch will be ready when it is ready. Download the test build if you want to test anything.

Thanks for the info.

twpol wrote:As I said in the thread, I am expecting to have a new patch ready later today. Why must you then go and ask before then if anything is coming? Why not just read the thread and understand? I am annoyed because everything you asked was clearly answered already.

I am asking because I too am feeling a bit frayed due to a stupidly avoidable bug in the latest point release of TBP that had me answering 60+ e-mails on the same problem. Therefore I didn't have time to read five pages of bug reports and comments and decided to simply get to the point.

twpol wrote:Reading this ******* forums is bad for my health.

If you think _this_ forum is bad, try reading some of the trollish comments on UMO...
lastChance

Post by lastChance »

twpol, maybe this is pointing out the obvious, but you have no obligation to respond to anything.

If it's a silly question, from your point of view, just ignore it--somebody else may or may not answer it--it's not your problem.

If it's a report of a bug that obviously wasn't caused by your patch, there's no reason that <i>you</i> need to say so. For that matter, even if it's not so obvious, or even if it is in fact a bug related to your patch, you don't need to respond.

This thread is to help you out, not cause you grief. If you find any of the reports helpful, then use them; if not, then don't. If you have extra time to get around to telling somebody their report was helpful or unhelpful, then great, but nobody's expecting you to.
twpol

Post by twpol »

lastChance wrote:twpol, maybe this is pointing out the obvious, but you have no obligation to respond to anything.

Well yes and no, but I get your point. I guess you can not expect any more posts from me, though.
ehume

Post by ehume »

I am looking forward to another build. This one has perfectly fine dropdown menus. If they are rendered from native elements, all fine and good. I would like to see what this would look like with some other theme than the Default. I will refrain from commenting on the Default theme.
Last edited by ehume on September 16th, 2005, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

I just want to toss in a hearty "thanks" for all your hard work twpol. You're demonstrating one of the greatest advantages OSS has, in that anyone with the know-how can change the software for the better, potentially bettering the experience for hundreds or thousands of users (as this patch surely will!)
Old Fuziwuzi

Post by Old Fuziwuzi »

twpol wrote:

Ok?

P.S. Unless you have anything to contribute, is it worth posting at all?
Could you tone down the arrogance and whining a bit, you're making my teeth hurt \:D/

Chill out, dude. This forum isn't your personal pity party to make you feel good. The other person had a legitimate question, whether you think so or not.
laketrout

Post by laketrout »

Awesome work James!! You're patch looks great.

I've tested on WinXP with the classic theme, luna and several other custom themes (Beige Azul, CodeOpus, CoughDrop, OpusOS, Reluna, Silver Gris, StyleXP) all picked up the native menus.

However, there is one glitch all suffer from. Live Bookmarks in the Bookmarks menu do not highlight solid, instead they flicker. Live Bookmarks on the personal toolbar are fine and highlight solid.

Edit:
Hmmm... I tried it again and the highlight worked fine.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060912 BonEcho/2.0b2
mw22

Post by mw22 »

laketrout wrote:However, there is one glitch all suffer from. Live Bookmarks in the Bookmarks menu do not highlight solid, instead they flicker. Live Bookmarks on the personal toolbar are fine and highlight solid.

Edit:
Hmmm... I tried it again and the highlight worked fine.

I think you might be experiencing: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=306426