MozillaZine

[Needs Testing] Patch for Bug# 243078-Native Theme Rendering

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
twpol

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 2:06 am

BoxerBoi76 wrote:Two things:

1) The horizontal spacing between the menubar items is too great by maybe three or four pixels compared to current builds of FF and IE.
2) Hopefully you can add the "single "3D shadow" line between the toolbox and content area, done in CSS" as this does look bad.

BoxerBoi76

1) So they are (in 2K). I did align those pixel-perfect here when developing the CSS changes, so it is possible that either some other CSS changes have occured in the last few days, or the classic menus in XP are spaced out more (which would suck).
2) Yeah, I'll see what I can do (I think some extra CSS magic in browser.css ought to do it).

twanno

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 7:17 am

twpol wrote:
BoxerBoi76 wrote:1) The horizontal spacing between the menubar items is too great by maybe three or four pixels compared to current builds of FF and IE.

BoxerBoi76

1) So they are (in 2K). I did align those pixel-perfect here when developing the CSS changes, so it is possible that either some other CSS changes have occured in the last few days, or the classic menus in XP are spaced out more (which would suck).

In winXP Luna the horizontal spacing is also bigger than with current builds.

twpol

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 7:23 am

twanno wrote:In winXP Luna the horizontal spacing is also bigger than with current builds.

The only comparison that matters is the test build and native apps (that use rebars) - comparing the test build with current nightly builds is pointless, or did you mean something else?

BoxerBoi76

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 7:37 am

twpol wrote:The only comparison that matters is the test build and native apps (that use rebars) - comparing the test build with current nightly builds is pointless, or did you mean something else?
James,

Would you agree that we should limit our comparisons to IE since this is the application we are replacing as there are varying differences in quite a few Windows applications in terms of menubar / toolbar spacing and padding?

Also, let me know what I can do to help get this in for 1.5!

BoxerBoi76

twanno

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 7:53 am

twpol wrote:
twanno wrote:In winXP Luna the horizontal spacing is also bigger than with current builds.

The only comparison that matters is the test build and native apps (that use rebars) - comparing the test build with current nightly builds is pointless, or did you mean something else?

It turns out that current builds have the same spacing as windows explorer and IE6 on Luna, so the horizontal spacing is also bigger on Luna.

First toolbar is from the test build
Second is from current nightly branch build
Third is from IE6 (File menu item alligned to above File menu item)

mw22

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 8:54 am

Hmm, in my debug build where I've used the patch, I get the menu background-color for the autocomplete list-items. That's not correct. Has that been noticed before?

twpol

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 9:04 am

BoxerBoi76 wrote:James,

Would you agree that we should limit our comparisons to IE since this is the application we are replacing as there are varying differences in quite a few Windows applications in terms of menubar / toolbar spacing and padding?

Yes, IE and Explorer are the best apps, as they a) come with Windows, and b) use the ReBar components that I've been trying to model.

mw wrote:Hmm, in my debug build where I've used the patch, I get the menu background-color for the autocomplete list-items. That's not correct. Has that been noticed before?

You might also notice the auto-complete stuff gets slightly odd menu-like borders too. I think the problem is that the autocomplete popup is using different colours to normal popups, and doesn't have anything to turn off the native background drawing. I'll add the nessessary CSS changes tomorrow (assuming it is that simple).

twanno

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 9:14 am

twanno wrote:It turns out that current builds have the same spacing as windows explorer and IE6 on Luna, so the horizontal spacing is also bigger on Luna.

I don't know if it's helpfull, but adding the following CSS to userChrome.css fixes the current horizontal menu spacing on winXP Luna.

Also, the text in the menu is positioned a bit to low compared to Explorer and IE6, the padding changes in the following code fixes that (the text is positioned 1px higher now).

Code: Select all
menubar menu .menubar-text {
  -moz-margin-end: 2px !important;
  -moz-margin-start: 3px !important;
  padding: 1px 2px 2px 2px !important;
}

twpol

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 9:28 am

twanno wrote:
twanno wrote:It turns out that current builds have the same spacing as windows explorer and IE6 on Luna, so the horizontal spacing is also bigger on Luna.

I don't know if it's helpfull, but adding the following CSS to userChrome.css fixes the current horizontal menu spacing on winXP Luna.

It's not really that helpful, because they menus were matched fine on my builds from the weekend, so I need to figure out what changed and then change it back or override it. :)

The best thing you can do is just spot the problems and leave it at that.

twpol

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 9:36 am

Actually, the best thing you can do is decide the most evil way I can fix the text colour problem on the Windows XP theme.

You may use: anything available in C++ from within nsNativeThemeWin.
You may not use: any JavaScript.

:D

mw22

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 10:29 am

twpol wrote:Actually, the best thing you can do is decide the most evil way I can fix the text colour problem on the Windows XP theme.

You may use: anything available in C++ from within nsNativeThemeWin.
You may not use: any JavaScript.

:D

That's a big problem, isn't it?
There isn't any native theme code that with -moz-appearance css code draws the text color, is there?
Maybe just invent a new color keyword in nsLookAndFeel.cpp, etc?

twanno

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 1:12 pm

Another bug on Luna: Disabled menu items, like Bookmarks -> Bookmark All Tabs when only one tab is open, don't get highlighted when selected (mouse hovering or alt+B, down with keyboard). :(

Thumper

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 2:16 pm

There's no point in worrying about trivial horizontal spacing at the moment. It was caused by the menu bar checkin wars last month and can be fixed in five minutes once there's a final patch to apply for branch checkin.

The lack of a left margin when File is highlighted is intentional. It makes it possible to hit a UI element on the left side of the screen by hitting the left edge. That also reminds me of the need for this to be fixed for scrollbars.

By the way, for the menu highlight: if you get this fixed will it mean having a way of getting at other Luna colours in CSS? This is needed to fix separator colours properly (rather than just hacking them to be the right colour).

- Chris

legege

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 3:38 pm

I don't think it's normal to have this apparence for the URL box and the search box drop-down with the classic theme. Am I wrong? The drop down in the Customize UI is right though.
Georges-Etienne Legendre
My extensions: SearchWP and SearchBox Sync

mcm_ham

Post Posted September 16th, 2005, 3:16 am

This may or may not be relevant to this bug's patch but thought people would be interested to hear there is talk afoot of switching the graphics backend of Firefox 1.5 from GDI+ to Cairo. Linked in the article is a build to try it out.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/tor/arch ... sit_1.html

Return to Firefox Bugs