Firefox: the cached page "destroyed" if ...

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
satyr

Firefox: the cached page "destroyed" if ...

Post by satyr »

... if you are currently off-line, i.e. you're not connected to the Internet at the moment, and you click on some cached entry (bookmarked for instance), but the "Work Offline" option under Firefox's "File" menu-item is NOT checked, then you destroy the "cache" of the respective entry this way (of the entry that was previously cached OK), i.e. I mean that even if you afterward check the "Work Offline" option, the entry it's not accessible off-line anymore, as if the cache would be deleted by this attempt.

Is this a Firefox's bug or what, is this problem a well-known one ??

thanks for any reply, satyr
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
sysKin

Post by sysKin »

It looks like one of many offline bugs. At one point in time developers even decided to remove offline support from firefox rather than fixing it.

However, <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=189570">bug 189570</a> was just fixed today on branch, and it might be in fact the same bug (or the same root cause) as yours. Perhaps you should be interested in branch nightles now, when they might have it fixed.

[edit]Ooops, it seems that this bug was not fixed on branch at all, only on trunk.
satyr

Post by satyr »

Thanks for the reply sysKin ...

satyr
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
asquithea

Post by asquithea »

For what it's worth, this problem has been around pretty much forever. I remember it from when I was still using dial-up with Phoenix. So it's certainly not just you.
Lost User 201251

Post by Lost User 201251 »

Yes, this problem hit me at a meeting this week. I was offline and plugged into a network port and went online and then went to a cached url and nothing. Come to find out that the network connections were no good in that room and it screwed up the cache of the url which then was no longer available offline. gr......
satyr

Post by satyr »

I am just reporting back that this particular cache-related was finally fixed in Firefox 2.0 release, I confirmed this today ...

satyr