Triggering the "find" function in Firefox

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
forrie

Triggering the "find" function in Firefox

Post by forrie »

I have Firefox Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060226 Firefox/1.5.0.1.

In certain cases, the ' key will trigger the find bar action. Usually only the / key will trigger this. I'm not sure what's happening to cause this, but it gets annoying when you're filling out a form (ie: email via web).

Anyone see this?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

You are right, both keys trigger the find bar. The apostrophe triggers "find in links", while the slash (/) will trigger "find in text".

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard

If your cursor is in the form, find should not be triggered. I am not sure if there is a way to disable the (') and (/) triggers, but I can poke around a bit and see.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
forrie

Post by forrie »

Ah, I didn't realize the ' key was involved. It doesn't seem to be consistent... at least, in what I've seen. I'd just assume disable it, as I have had it trigger while filling in forms, and it interferes with emailing, etc.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I could not find a way to disable the apostrophe or slash triggers. There may be an extension that will do it. You could permanently delete it, but then you would probably find yourself wishing you hadn't. Anyway, you can learn about deleting it here:
http://www.mozilla.org/access/type-ahead/
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It's a known bug that it sometimes activates Find in text boxes. For most people it happens fairly rarely, but a few people are afflicted. Sometimes the problem with go away if you switch tabs or windows and then switch back.
venus_de_mpls

Post by venus_de_mpls »

For anyone who has consistently upgraded it might remain a problem. I started with .06 and until I did a TOTALLY clean install (only saved my bookmarks) did I find peace with ' and / in text boxes. edit - whoops. It was not in the profile, but residual files in my case.
Win XP Pro SP1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4
Thunderbird version 2.0.0.0 (20070326)
forrie

Post by forrie »

This is still a big problem for me.

For example, when I use any web-based email (such as Google Mail), and I begin to type words that require ' , it brings up a search feature.

ODDLY, it hasn't done that for THIS window - which makes me think there is a link between this and the use of javascript, or perhaps how the text boxes are formatted/configured.

?