Apostrophe character brings up "Find" feature

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Brivtech

Post by Brivtech »

Well, I'm glad you're getting pleasure out of it, unfortunately, I can't say the same.

It's even on youtube now! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_7RFWwjF0s

Jokes aside, this really is a serious matter that isn't doing any good for Mozilla.
jtilton

Post by jtilton »

This is the first time since I started using FF a long time ago that I have found this "bug". As you can see, <b>I'm</b> not having problems with it while typing this post, but I just finished replying to an invitation on evite.com (online invitation site) and could could not use any contractions due to the problem. So far, I have never seen this until now. Wonder if there is some interaction with a site's code? Pretty odd!

Using the current version ...2.0.0.11

Just my observations,
Jeff
nnoidone

Re: Apostrophe character brings up "Find" feature

Post by nnoidone »

MontyV wrote:This has become quite annoying. This only happens in my firefox browser. I've noticed that on this computer that has firefox that every time I used the apostrophe it automatically jump to the "find" feature. Is this a bug? I've reinstalled firefox a few times also already.

I agree completely!!! this has been a <b><i>BUG</i></b> for several <b><i>YEARS</i></b> and hasn't been fixed for some reason...

can't use apostrophe - have to use quotes and hope the other person won't notice;

can't use " /" so can't edit html on blogs or web pages using firefox;

can't write in txt and copy/paste because firefox refuses to allow you to paste what you wrote in txt - or even copy anything from firefox and paste it somewhere else!

had to use safari to use those characters here...very frustrating since otherwise would prefer to use firefox...any idea when this will be fixed ????

btw I'm using 2.0.0.11, the latest as far as I know for macs...
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It's really odd. There seem to be several bugs that cause it. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=320465 Please don't comment in bug reports, since comments just get in the way. I wish I could tell you it's being fixed, but I'm not so sure.

Some of them have been fixed, however, and we don't see many reports of this any more.
nnoidone

Post by nnoidone »

VanillaMozilla wrote:It's really odd. There seem to be several bugs that cause it. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=320465 Please don't comment in bug reports, since comments just get in the way. I wish I could tell you it's being fixed, but I'm not so sure.

Some of them have been fixed, however, and we don't see many reports of this any more.

thanks for the info, but it is still doing it - and doing it intermittently! sometimes I can use an apostrophe, and sometimes I can't even during the same session...like NOW! I just tried to use an apostrophe in a mail message and it did the find thing...and it wouldn't copy a url from the address bar or from youtube that I was trying to send...copy is still "grayed out" in edit, btw, but apparently now the apostrophe works...weird...

hope someone there can figure this out and fix it...all of you are a helluva lot smarter than me, so I'm sure you can do it!

thanks!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Try changing focus from one window to another. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Find_bar_open ... in_textbox

The problem just comes and goes, seemingly at random. Or if you are unlucky, it doesn't go. The forthcoming version 3 may fix this by accident. If this is a sufficient inconvenience for you, you might try a beta version, but be sure to create a new profile for the beta version, just in case. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html .

Or if you like being on the bleeding edge: http://quality.mozilla.org/en/node/1288 .
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

I haven't read all the pages here or checked the help links suggested, but...

Have you tried this?
Tools->Options
Content -> Click the 'Advanced' button next to Javascript Enabled
Uncheck all the boxes.

This has helped in the past by preventing other tabs from stealing the focus.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Any particular reason, or is it just one of those random changes that seem to work?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Any particular reason, or is it just one of those random changes that seem to work?

I think it keeps javascript on a background tab from stealing the focus away without actually causing the tab to come active. Its just one of those 'work-arounds' that just 'happens to work' I think.

And, its not always been effective for all...
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Interesting. I always have all but the first one unchecked (default configuration?), and I use NoScript. Maybe that's why I haven't had the problem, except briefly a couple of years ago. Maybe you should put that hint in the Knowledge Base.
adigabagoska

Re:

Post by adigabagoska »

Dawg of Doom wrote:I ran into the same problem when typing in a textarea earlier, and this helped fix the problem. ' and / will still bring up the find dialog, but it shouldn't happen anymore when you're typing in a textarea/box

open <b>about:config</b> in firefox, and search for find. I changed..

<blockquote>accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar user set integer 0 </blockquote>

to...

<blockquote>accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar default integer 1</blockquote>

I did this but it did not work. FML.
DanRaisch

Re: Apostrophe character brings up "Find" feature

Post by DanRaisch »

adigabagoska, you've posted to a thread that died out more than two years ago when different versions of the software were in use. If you have a support question, please create a new topic.

Locking this due to the age of the original post.