Apostrophe character brings up "Find" feature

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Does anybody read anything before they write? It is fixed in the latest version. If you are claiming otherwise, it's up to you to provide relevant details.
webwmn

apostrophe bug

Post by webwmn »

It only started happening to me with 2.0.0.2! I just found this thread and I'm trying the "about:config" fix, seems to have done the job but as I say, it only showed up with the latest download.

Mac OSX 10.3.9

Well, at least we have this forum!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You can't really fix it. It's just a workaround. The easiest thing is just to change windows and change back again, if that does it for you.

There are many bug reports on this, and we were hoping fixing one would fix all. Apparently not. It's difficult to reproduce, so it's hard to fix, unfortunately.
webwmn

Post by webwmn »

You are right, it is back again. And opening a new window and then going back fixed it. (I started to say you're right, it's back)

That's ugly!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It comes and goes. Most people see it rarely or never. Some see it often. No one knows why. You can try the suggestions, I guess. Good luck.

You could submit a bug report if you want. Rub their noses in it.
webwmn

apostrophe bug

Post by webwmn »

Maybe there's a grammar nazi inside mozilla that doesn't want us using contractions!

Or maybe that latest build got it fixed - it's gone at the moment...
twesterm

Post by twesterm »

zeniko wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:Just another vote for DAMN IT, FIX THIS!

It has been fixed already. Just grab a recent nightly and see for yourself - or wait another few weeks for them to officially become Firefox 2.0.0.1.

I apologize for bringing back a dead topic but this problem has not been fixed. I have the latest version of Firefox and I get this problem daily and I know several other people that still have this problem. I just tried the about:config and hopefully that will fix my problems.

Sp yes, another vote for please fix this!

When it happens to me I usually have at least one window open with several tabs open and sometimes I will have multiple windows open when it happens. I have not been able to reliably reproduce this at all, I only know that when I press the apostrophe and backslash keys the search function comes up. I also cannot copy and paste text (I have not tried copying from another program to Firefox) even though I can still see the option to copy.

-edit
I did notice I am not using Firefox 2, I am still using version 1.5.0.11.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

webwmn wrote:Or maybe that latest build got it fixed - it's gone at the moment...

I forgot to mention that it's supposed to be fixed in the latest version (2.0.0.3). One or two people have reported that it's still there, however.

The "about:config" fix? Hardly. Turning off "find as you type" (or whatever it's called in the latest version) just means that the Find box only pops up for the apostrophe and slash keys. But it can't hurt to try, as random changes sometimes make it go away for a while.

twesterm wrote:I have the latest version of Firefox and I get this problem daily.... ...I am still using version 1.5.0.11

The latest version in the 1.5 branch is 1.5.0.13 (or 12? -- I forget). And that will be supported for only a few days or weeks longer. You really need to allow automatic updates, for security reasons.
tempuser1241

Post by tempuser1241 »

Sorry, Firefox is NOT better than IE any day. It is only better than IE on days when THIS LOUSY APOSTROPHE BUG is not active. Why don't they remove this infernal "feature"? It sucks. I NEVER EVER EVER want to use typing an apostrophe to perform a find. I FREQUENTLY want to use typing an apostrophe to cause an apostrophe to appear on the screen. Is that so hard to figure out? It's almost June 2007 and this "feature" which makes firefox almost unusable (following the instructions above seems to at least reduce the frequency of encountering this lousy bug, otherwise it would be completely unusable) still exists. WTF? This is a gravely serious bug, has been around for YEARS, what gives? Firefox is lame, mainly because of this bug. WHAT THE F ARE PEOPLE WHO WORK ON THIS SOFTWARE THINKING? (sound of wind whistling...)
Rikkochet

Post by Rikkochet »

Confirmed that this is still occurring in 2.0.0.6.

This on two different Windows XP Pro machines. Very annoying.
Hogget

Post by Hogget »

And 2.0.0.7

I'm using
accessibility.typeaheadfind.autostart False
seems to work.
dasnk

Post by dasnk »

I'm using 2.0.0.7 too, I tried the typeaheadfind thing a few weeks ago, it worked for a while (Like the various hacks do) and then it came back. It seems to come and go , I get it every once in a while and it throws me into a rage, I don't know what exactly makes it go away because i'm so angry at the time. All I know is that it always come back.
digeratess

Upgraded to 2.0.0.8, bug back

Post by digeratess »

As a Firefox evangelist to my small circle of the globe, let me just say that I am now officially PISSED OFF. Fixed this bug for the umpteenth time last month. Upgraded to 2.0.0.8 today, and guess what? It's back! After I get it fixed today, I shall never google "firefox apostrophe find" again to discover what new hoop I must jump through for the priviledge of typing apostrophes. I've turned off even checking for Firefox updates. Don't want to know about them because this post is the last moment I will lose to this bug, and I will not be testing for it.

All who call this a feature, I defy you.
Brivtech

Post by Brivtech »

This has been going on for so long with me, over so many versions of Firefox, that I didn't even realise it was a bug until recently, I honestly thought it was something to do with Windows not liking a third party browser, or that it was to do with my non-standard keyboards.

I have to correct any developers, this shortcut is a BUG, not a feature, because of the way it is implemented.

I would bet that in the majority of cases, apostrophies are typed as such. I'm running 2.0.0.9 on all my computers, have even encouraged all my customers and many of my friends to switch to Firefox, and what happens, many of them have the same problem! Most of them went back to Internet Explorer because of it (Or AOL browser - Yes, these are basic people). I've just tried the fixes (again). They work for a while, an hour later, I have the same problem again.

How stupid do you think this makes me look, recommending something that's got a feature that's effectively made wrongly, and then having to explain technically to non-technical people how to fix it, then it not working again. Why the apostrophe?

If this was a toy, it would be sent back to China!!! :(

Firefox developers, if any of you read this, you have a spy from Microsoft in your ranks, who is clearly trying to ruin your otherwise wonderful software! Root the bugger out and likewise this "feature".

Please, for our sanity.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

RAOFLMAO
The last three comments have to be spoofs surely. No one could write that rubbish and hold a straight face :lol:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"