Apostrophe character brings up "Find" feature

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

How can I put this gently? :)
Not a holdover: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard
Not linked to rich text.
Not related to extensions.

I have never installed an extension, except the default(?) DOM Inspector, whatever that is, and Talkback. I have observed it in this very text box in MozillaZine. See bug 311376, comment 10. Also see comments 10 and 16 for possible workarounds.

(Note: Although that bug is not shown as fixed, I think it's probably a duplicate of one that is fixed. It just hasn't been marked as a duplicate. There are actually quite a few bug reports on this. <b>Note: please do not comment in bug reports unless you have solid new information or are involved in fixing the bug.</b>)
spudtheimpaler

Post by spudtheimpaler »

Well I am also getting this "bug" and that includes this quick reply box. Has happened apparently sporadically though a week or so before I installed NoScript. at the same time I have had the trouble where my direction keys and space bar wont navigate the page because it appears as though wherever i click on the screen, a flashing text cursor appears, the same in this text field, but anywhere on the page. I thought I would mention it in case it was related.

As for the "rich text" box idea, it also happens to me in the "search topic" text field at the bottom of this page, which i am guessing is a bog standard text field.

I managed to get around the problem by deselecting in the tools>>options>>advanced>>accesibility allow text to be selected from keyboard.
Dawg of Doom

Post by Dawg of Doom »

I ran into the same problem when typing in a textarea earlier, and this helped fix the problem. ' and / will still bring up the find dialog, but it shouldn't happen anymore when you're typing in a textarea/box

open <b>about:config</b> in firefox, and search for find. I changed..

<blockquote>accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar user set integer 0 </blockquote>

to...

<blockquote>accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar default integer 1</blockquote>
Release the Dawgs of Doom
MontyV

Post by MontyV »

Dawg of Doom wrote:I ran into the same problem when typing in a textarea earlier, and this helped fix the problem. ' and / will still bring up the find dialog, but it shouldn't happen anymore when you're typing in a textarea/box

<blockquote>accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar user set integer 0 </blockquote>

to...

That did the trick. Thank you.
cfh2k5

Where is "about:config" ?

Post by cfh2k5 »

MontyV wrote:
Dawg of Doom wrote:I ran into the same problem when typing in a textarea earlier, and this helped fix the problem. ' and / will still bring up the find dialog, but it shouldn't happen anymore when you're typing in a textarea/box

to...

That did the trick. Thank you.

Sorry for exposing my stupidity, but could someone please tell me how to find this "about"?
The only "about" on the FX browser that I know is "Help, then About", but it's only the version and credits pop-up.

Thank you.
Cliff
makaiguy

Re: Where is "about:config" ?

Post by makaiguy »

cfh2k5 wrote:Sorry for exposing my stupidity, but could someone please tell me how to find this "about"?
The only "about" on the FX browser that I know is "Help, then About", but it's only the version and credits pop-up.

Thank you.

Enter about:config in the Address/URL bar - the same place you'd type a web address you wished to visit.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
dasnk

Post by dasnk »

It is set to 1 by default now and the bug still occurs. Please mozilla just remove the stupid feature altogther, If people want to bring up the find box they can press CTRL+F, that is consistent across all browsers and applications... and that's how it works in Firefox too, There is no need for this shortcut.
Lost User 235214

Post by Lost User 235214 »

dasnk wrote:just remove the stupid feature altogther, If people want to bring up the find box they can press CTRL+F, that is consistent across all browsers and applications

Completely agree.
cronos99

Agree

Post by cronos99 »

Totally agree. Get rid of the feature. Ctrl + F works well enough for me...

Thanks Dawg, that was an easy fix!
X777

Me too, Spud

Post by X777 »

spudtheimpaler wrote:Well I am also getting this "bug" and that includes this quick reply box. Has happened apparently sporadically though a week or so before I installed NoScript. at the same time I have had the trouble where my direction keys and space bar wont navigate the page because it appears as though wherever i click on the screen, a flashing text cursor appears, the same in this text field, but anywhere on the page. I thought I would mention it in case it was related.

I get the "apostrophe bug," and less frequently, a bug whereby the arrow keys, page up/down, and ctrl+home and ctrl+end keys have no effect.

For me, all of this is new with FF 2.0. Nothing similar happened with earlier Firefoxes or Mozilla.
makaiguy

Re: Me too, Spud

Post by makaiguy »

X777 wrote: and less frequently, a bug whereby the arrow keys, page up/down, and ctrl+home and ctrl+end keys have no effect.

This is 'caret browsing'. See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Accessibility.browsewithcaret
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It may not be caret browsing. That's usually part of the focus problem. It has appeared in all versions for some time now. It comes and goes randomly, and has nothing to do with version 2
kirkjerk

Post by kirkjerk »

Just another vote for DAMN IT, FIX THIS!

It seems to be getting worse lately. Im just hoping my friends dont notice when I stop using apostrophes...

Ill try the about:config workaround, but bleh
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

kirkjerk wrote:Just another vote for DAMN IT, FIX THIS!

It has been fixed already. Just grab a recent nightly and see for yourself - or wait another few weeks for them to officially become Firefox 2.0.0.1.
Lost User 57363

Re: Me too, Spud

Post by Lost User 57363 »

X777 wrote:
spudtheimpaler wrote:Well I am also getting this "bug" and that includes this quick reply box. Has happened apparently sporadically though a week or so before I installed NoScript. at the same time I have had the trouble where my direction keys and space bar wont navigate the page because it appears as though wherever i click on the screen, a flashing text cursor appears, the same in this text field, but anywhere on the page. I thought I would mention it in case it was related.

I get the "apostrophe bug," and less frequently, a bug whereby the arrow keys, page up/down, and ctrl+home and ctrl+end keys have no effect.

For me, all of this is new with FF 2.0. Nothing similar happened with earlier Firefoxes or Mozilla.

Ditto here.

I keep turning it off, but there seems to be no pattern. I even change the accessiblity setting in about:config... which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It might even be related to specific websites because ' just worked in this text box, but a forum I was just posting in it caused the search.

Very strange and erratic.

Still beter than IE any day.