Which nighly build isn't so bad after all?

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox

Which recent build is the best?

Poll ended at November 5th, 2002, 9:45 pm

before 11-01
33%
11-01
8%
11-02
8%
11-03
8%
11-04
42%

Total votes: 12

tmb

Post by tmb »

Orbite wrote:
tmb wrote:what the people that compare builds don't realize, is ... this is not a stable release-- it is for testing only! not for depressing commentary on how it is worse than it was yesterday !! :roll:

:? Nobody is depressed and we understand that nightly builds are not all stable and for testing purpose.

:?: Why does it upset you soo much that we chat about the relative quality of the recent builds?

_______
Phoenix - the best browser in the world!

What I was saying was not that this commentary is upsetting to me but that you shouldn't criticize the work of people that decide to go home before all of the bugs are fixed. If you understand that nightly builds not all stable and for testing purposes only then why are you worried about how the work progresses? NOT EVERY BUILD WILL BE BUG FREE. accept it :roll:
ao lot doc quan lot doc do ngu doc do lot thuong hieu do ngu bon bon do ngu triumph do ngu winny do ngu paltal do ngu vera do ngu annie quan ao gia re quan ao thoi trang quan ao nam han quoc quan ao nu han quoc quan ao cho be nam ao tam do boi nam hang hieu do boi nu dep do boi cho be trai bo suu tap do lot triumph bo suu tap do lot sunfly
Last edited by tmb on November 12th, 2012, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan

Re: Don't be such an angry baby

Post by Stefan »

Orbite wrote:
Stefan wrote:Pretty pointless to have votes for this.

If you don't have the stomach for testing non released software... don't

:D Oh boy! You take everything too seriously. Have some fun with the new features of the forum.

The problem is, if people abuse the polls for "fun" like this they are probably going to shut of that feature for all of us... :?
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Especially when it is such a pointless topic. I can't remember what nightly I thought was most bug-free, it's a nightly. I use it and then move on.

- Chris
audioaficionado

Post by audioaficionado »

It's always the next nightly that's my favorite. 1105 did suck but that's ok for now. When the next nightly comes out, I'll replace it immediately. :mrgreen:
8) Windows: XPproSP2
8) Gentoo & Overclockix Live CD
8) Latest Firefox of course

Cya later,
Steve
Orbite

Post by Orbite »

tmb wrote:... you shouldn't criticize the work of people that decide to go home before all of the bugs are fixed.

What? Because someone is hard working, his work can't be observed or commented?

You cannot have wrote this sentence unless you support at least one of those false convictions:
  1. I am dissatisfied by the work done on Pheonix;
  2. If I point out a flaw in one singular build, it means that I think all the builds are bad;
  3. The worth and respect for a person is the same thing as the worth and the respect for his work;
  4. Admitting errors or not beeing able to hide them is something wicked or bad;
  5. Having something less than perfect is shamefull and should be kept secret;
  6. Working late means you work well;
  7. Making observations on the results of the Phoenix project is the same as trying to hurt the project.
tmb wrote:...why are you worried about how the work progresses?

Because I care for the Phoenix project.

And you.
Why do you want to silence any comments about the evolution of Phoenix?
Do you fear that Phoenix project is soo weak that we have to hide even the tiny negative aspects about it?
audioaficionado

1107 is listed on the nightlies but all I can get is 404 requested file is not found on server. :(

Cya later,
Steve
audioaficionado

I got a better link. 1107 is up and running.

Still has new bugs but it starts. :wink:

It errors out when I start it. Says it can't find home page URL but when I click on home button, it loads my homepage not Mozilla.org. Better :mrgreen:

I lost some of my skins eventhough they were installed globally. I'll fetch 'em again. :|

I'm going to use it bugs and all. I keep 1031 as backup if a nightly completely craps out and use it until the next functional release. 8)

Cya later,
Steve
Richard

Re: Which nighly build isn't so bad after all?

Post by Richard »

Seems to be true. 8-nov build seems much more stable than 5-nov; even better than 0.4. SavePage now works.
Richard
audioaficionado

Globally installed themes and extensions still don't stick

I still have to go and reinstall my themes and extensions after I delete & replace/update the program\phoenix directory with the next nightly.

Didn't change profile where global stuff should be located.

Monor gripe for now. :|

Cya later,
Steve
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

1107 seems the best (that I've seen) since 1031.

Is 1108 as good/better?

(I get ticked off when I take the trouble to install something that doesn't work.)
audioaficionado

shoestring wrote:1107 seems the best (that I've seen) since 1031.

Is 1108 as good/better?

(I get ticked off when I take the trouble to install something that doesn't work.)

Whats to get ticked about?

This is pre Alpha test builds and will be riddled with bugs as new features are added. As we use it, and report bugs, they get fixed.

All the previous nightlies are still available so just grab your free favorite.

It only takes a few minutes to install.

Cya later,
Steve
oceanwaterz

Post by oceanwaterz »

1108 is working great for me....so far...
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

audioaficionado wrote:Whats to get ticked about?

This is pre Alpha test builds and will be riddled with bugs as new features are added. As we use it, and report bugs, they get fixed.

All the previous nightlies are still available so just grab your free favorite.

It only takes a few minutes to install.

"Ticked" was too strong. I was tired. "Mildly irritated" would be more accurate.

I am ticked right now, though, because when I tried to post this reply a few minutes ago, mozillazine.org timed out on me and I managed to lose the whole thing. This will be less elegant:

Downloading 7Mb at 56K; removing the previous build; installing the new one; restoring all my preferences and extensions; discovering something that makes the new build useless to me; removing it, re-installing the previous one, re-restoring all those settings and extensions -- takes some serious time.

Mostly I just have to check the preferences, they don't usually get clobbered. Extensions are another thing entirely, not to mention Themes (though I've given up on themes what with all the reinstallation).

I've tried to squirrel away the working build so I don't have to go through all this, but for some reason it's never worked for me.

Guess I'm just not a pre-Alpha guy; that's why I posed my question -- so I could avoid anything that's not at least Alpha quality.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

shoestring wrote:I am ticked right now, though, because when I tried to post this reply a few minutes ago, mozillazine.org timed out on me and I managed to lose the whole thing. This will be less elegant:

One of the greate things about Geckobrowsers vs eg IE is that if you type something and submit you can almost always hit the backbutton and everything you wrote will be there.
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

Stefan wrote:
shoestring wrote:I am ticked right now, though, because when I tried to post this reply a few minutes ago, mozillazine.org timed out on me and I managed to lose the whole thing. This will be less elegant:

One of the greate things about Geckobrowsers vs eg IE is that if you type something and submit you can almost always hit the backbutton and everything you wrote will be there.

I did, but it wasn't :(

Something I noticed the other night: I'd checked a lot of boxes (all of the boxes on a certain form) and hit the submit button ... this was for a search on the Microsoft KB, etc. ... then looking at the results decided to hit Back and modify the query somewhat. The odd thing was, when I got back, some of the checkboxes had become unchecked while others hadn't. And they weren't the same boxes that were checked/unchecked by default, either.

I'd have expected either (a) all my input would remain the same or (b) it would have reverted to the default; but what I got was neither.

Now, considering where the page came from, I'm not entirely surprised, but I've seen similar things happen on other sites as well (certain genealogy sites in particular).

Odd.