Bookmarks Toolbar not really rearrangeable

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
wizard518

Bookmarks Toolbar not really rearrangeable

Post by wizard518 »

More specifically, if you have a bunch of links on the Bookmark Toolbar, then you can only drag links to the end of the line. For example, you can't take the first link on the left and move it anywhere but all the way to the right.

I'm using version .4 on Windows.
asa

Re: Bookmarks Toolbar not really rearrangeable

Post by asa »

wizard518 wrote:More specifically, if you have a bunch of links on the Bookmark Toolbar, then you can only drag links to the end of the line. For example, you can't take the first link on the left and move it anywhere but all the way to the right.

I'm using version .4 on Windows.

That's odd. I have no problem dragging links and folders around on my bookmarks toolbar with the latest Phoenix build on linux.

--Asa
djst

Post by djst »

asa wrote:
That's odd. I have no problem dragging links and folders around on my bookmarks toolbar with the latest Phoenix build on linux.

How do you drag a folder? I can't do that here.
shimage

Post by shimage »

it used to work for me, but it's broken now. i'm on win2k, not latest build, as the tab extensions are causing phoenix to crash with 1108 (on my computer at least).
asa

Post by asa »

djst wrote:
asa wrote:

shift+click+drag does it for me.

--Asa
shimage

Post by shimage »

ah. thank you. for some reason, i didn't have to hold the shift button before.
djst

Post by djst »

asa wrote:
djst wrote:
asa wrote:

shift+click+drag does it for me.

--Asa

Hey, that works! I've been looking for a way to move folders forever. I don't think this was obvious enough. Would it be possible to change the behavior so that the contents of a folder isn't displayed until the mouseUp event, so that you could drag a folder without pressing Shift? (Test with the links toolbar in IE to see what I mean.)
asa

Post by asa »

djst wrote:
asa wrote:shift+click+drag does it for me.
--Asa
Hey, that works! I've been looking for a way to move folders forever. I don't think this was obvious enough.<snip>
Yeah, I think I tried to drag a folder recently and when it didn't drag I tried ctrl dragging which copied it, alt dragging which dragged the whole window and shift dragging which seemed to work. I'm funny like that, I just try stuff until something works. You're probably right that it's not very discoverable but I'm not sure that it should behave like IE. I think that menus, which folders on the bookmarks toolbar are, behave pretty differently between linux and windows. I'll have to do more investigation. Maybe Pierre (pch) will read this post and comment.

--Asa
djst

Post by djst »

asa wrote: You're probably right that it's not very discoverable but I'm not sure that it should behave like IE. I think that menus, which folders on the bookmarks toolbar are, behave pretty differently between linux and windows. I'll have to do more investigation. Maybe Pierre (pch) will read this post and comment.
--Asa

In what way do you mean it shouldn't behave like IE? What IE does is to display the contents upon the MouseUp event, which will allow you to just drag the folder without pressing Shift.

An alternative solution for Phoenix could be to still display the folder contents upon the MouseDown event, but if you dragged the folder, the folder contents would disappear again and the folder would be movable.

Also, you say that a bm folder should be considered a menu. There's one inconsistency: I can click on File and then hover to Edit, and that menu will appear, but if I click on TB folder 1 and then hover the mouse over folder 2, that folder will not appear. I have to click twice to display the contents.