1.5.0.6 and "Server not found" is still with us

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Morlock,
Be nice, now. Remember that many different problems are described in this thread, and each has a different cause.

Sounds to me like you just hit a nonresponsive site. Or your connection is lousy. I have a DSL modem, and I can watch the data coming in. Most sites are fast, but some sites just dribble in a few bytes at a time. I have also had a lot of trouble in the past with dialup service. There was a family of mice living in a junction box, and service improved greatly when someone finally evicted them. Take your pick.

If you don't think that's it, try asking nicely in another thread. Be sure to describe the problem clearly and accurately, and describe any steps you may have taken to solve it. Your problem is likely to get lost in this thread. I also suggest that you use the Support Forum. This forum is really for discussing bugs before submitting them, and that forum gets more traffic.
Karmashock

Post by Karmashock »

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I was having this problem myself and the solution was to add a few more DNS for my computer to use. I had only one set up at the time but after adding two more the problem has gone away. I literally had to click the "refresh" button three to four times to get most pages to load at all. They all came up as "could not connect to server" initially... anyway... adding a few more DNS servers fixed it... life is good.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Karmashock wrote:...the solution was to add a few more DNS for my computer to use.

Thanks for posting that. Of course, it only applies to those who have DNS problems.

<b>Recently, Kaspersky security software has begun to block domain-name service, and it can block it just for an updated version of Firefox!</b>

People have to understand that there are just all kinds of things that can interfere with your Web browsing. A browser is like a telephone. It works fine as long as you plug it into a working line, but there are all sorts of things that can interfere with the line.
Rodstick Beampole

Post by Rodstick Beampole »

I am also sorry to resurrect this old thread but it was the thread that helped me. I was having these same issues with "server not found", random disconnects from online games, etc. At first I thought my Internet issues were because of firefox since I had just upgraded to version 2.0.0.* and that World of Warcraft is just a busy game. Oddly enough, every time firefox releases an update, I see a slew of people posting these same problems and blaming them on the update -- myself included. I even thought I just had a bad connection, faulty wiring, whatever. Then I moved into a new place and still had the same issues, which ruled that out. Enough backstory, though; I'll get to the point.

SOLUTION: Following several links and reading countless threads, trying all the crazy things people suggest, has ultimately lead to something that worked: OpenDNS (www.opendns.com). I followed the simple step-by-steps, plugged the addresses into my router, and BAM! No more problems. I'm sure there are plenty of people with similar problems that would be fixed by using this utility, and also plenty who won't. It's worth a try, though. If anything, it rules out one possibility as to what your problem is in the first place.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Thank you for reporting that. Failure of domain-name-resolution is covered here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites#DNS . Fortunately, the problem seems to have become much less common in recent months.

As you showed, the problem is not caused by Firefox. Of all the people who have this problem, some of them first notice the problem after Firefox is updated, so there are always a few people who believe it must be due to Firefox. Presumably, if you go to other forums, you will find people who have no doubt that it was due to a Windows update. They might just as well blame recent news events.
kaykhanittha

Re: 1.5.0.6 and "Server not found" is still with us

Post by kaykhanittha »

Thank you, I will try the DNS thing. First time ever that I have any problem with Firefox, but it seems that I am not the only one.

Also, I forgot to tell that 3 others computers on the same network are working well, so is it still possible that it is a DNS problem with only one computer ?

Thanks.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

It is more likely a problem with your firewall. Also you should update to the latest release (2.0.0.18 or 3.0.4), yours is full of security holes.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

kaykhanittha wrote:...it seems that I am not the only one.

What's that supposed to mean? Rodstick Beampole wasn't the only one either.

"kaykhanittha"]Also, I forgot to tell that 3 others computers on the same network are working well, so is it still possible that it is a DNS problem with only one computer ?

Yes, it's possible to set up different computers to use different domain-name services. Whether this is your problem, though I can't say. For a start, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites .

It's not a good idea to spread the description of symptoms over three separate threads, though. It's not a good way to get help. You should probably get your own thread, since this one is quite old, and your problem is buried here. It's about version 1.5, and you have version 3.
kaykhanittha

Post by kaykhanittha »

I never understand why people say that we shouldn't use old threads: with so many people getting notification about new messages on this thread I guess that I can get more help than starting a new thread with few people reading it. But maybe I am wrong as many people seem to think like you.

Thanks for help anyway!

For others: if it was a firewall problem why all the others computers on the network have no problem to connect?

And I have tried both the latest 2.18 and 3.4 of Firefox.

Thanks again.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

kaykhanittha,
Would you please stop posting all over the forum.
Makes it hard to keep track of any fixes that may have worked for you.
Stay with one thread. Thank you.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

kaykhanittha wrote:
For others: if it was a firewall problem why all the others computers on the network have no problem to connect?

Because it can be your local software firewall, or your AV acting as such.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Very old thread. Locking.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."