1.5.0.6 and "Server not found" is still with us

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Post by trolly »

The DNS server you contact also caches the records. If you request the data while they are still cached gives always ok. Then they time out and you are back with the errors.
Can you also check the response time with the working DNS?

For the last one: If you are not using my latest version the http:// is causing the problem. And it does not remove any leading or trailing spaces. My latest version tries to remove any pre- and postfixes. But it still does not show the tried name in case of error. I'll change it.

I can add a repeat count and a delay in case you want to try a sequence of resolutions.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Those are amazingly long DNS times. I get times of around 2 seconds from U.S. to Europe.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

spaddaddy

Post by spaddaddy »

You lost me with all the tech talk, but I have the same "Server not found" error. WinXP Pro, Hughes satellite. IE and Netscape 7 work perfectly. Only FF gives me the random error. It is definitely something unique to Firefox. I have version 1.5.0.6. This is the only version I have tried.
iratraveler

Post by iratraveler »

Firefox/1.5.0.7
Windows XP
Cable Braodband-Mediacom
2 computers -- one direct wired to cable modem, the other wireless router. Happens with both computers
Problem started after FF update several months ago.
Using Yahoo home page, almost always have to hit "try again" at least once and offen twice.
pondejim

Post by pondejim »

I have installed Firefox 2 RC 1 and given it "a good hammering". I have had no "server not found" and "try again" problems. It appears to me that all versions of Firefox 1.5 available since July / August were "broken". Since Firefox 2 is in the developmental stage, as mentioned in the release notes, most extensions may not be compatible, as was the case for me. The skin is similar to the current version 1.5.0.7, but not as vivid. For those finding "try again" a problem, give Firefox 2 RC 1 a try. It appears to have worked for me. The link to the relevant page is pasted below.
:banana:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho ... .0rc1.html
spaddaddy

Post by spaddaddy »

An interesting developement. I removed TCP/IP version 6 in the network properties. The TUN miniport adapter error, the Firefox "Server Not Found" error, and the Thunderbird "Unable to connect to IMAP server" errors seem to have disappeared, for now at least.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Interesting. Can you be more specific about what you did? You lost me in the tech talk.
trolly

Post by trolly »

I guess he disabled or removed IPv6 support.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Now that you mention it, I guess that's probably what he meant. This is prominently documented in the Knowledge Base, here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites#IPv6 .
spaddaddy

Post by spaddaddy »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Interesting. Can you be more specific about what you did? You lost me in the tech talk.
Ha, Ha.
I Googled "tun miniport adapter", a setting in the device manager that was problematic. One of the sites suggested to remove the IPv6 in the network settings under control panel. This was not the first time I had run into this sequence of words. I had a "tun miniport adapter" under network settings that was not loading properly. I don't like yellow exclamation marks under device manager.

When I removed it, it seemed to cure a bunch of glitches, including slow or non-existent recognition of a NAS storage drive. Twenty years ago, I would have talked tech talk to you, but my Sometimer's is catching up with me. It's gotten far more complex than I have been able to keep up with.
spaddaddy

Post by spaddaddy »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Now that you mention it, I guess that's probably what he meant. This is prominently documented in the Knowledge Base, here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites#IPv6 .
I had already disabled it. I needed to completely remove it.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Hmmmm, maybe an incompatible driver and/or an XP patch causes a timeout for the DNS resolution. Maybe the IPv6 resolution fails under this conditions. At least worth a try for those people having this problem.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Hmmm.... For what it's worth, my Windows Help documents include such gems as this:

"The IPv6 software supplied in this release contains prerelease code and is not intended for commercial use. This software is made available for research, development, and testing only and must never be used in a production environment. Microsoft is not responsible for your use of the code or for the results from your use of the code, and Microsoft does not provide any level of technical support for IPv6 in this release."

Hmm.... Is this the software that is handling users' DNS requests? The Help document did mumble something about having to install it.

Also noted, FWIW:
"Applications that support the use of IPv6, which are provided with Windows XP, include Internet Explorer, the Telnet client (Telnet.exe), and the FTP client (Ftp.exe)."
DenBob

Server Not Found

Post by DenBob »

Allow me to jump in here with my 2 cents of the "Server Not Found" problem.

For me it has been occurring with the last couple of versions of FF and has gotten bad enough and happens often enough, I am almost to the point I would rather go back to (gasp) IE. Currently, I get this message several times a session, every day. Usually, hitting the "try again" button will get me to my destination but that certainly isn't a fix.

I also find that when I first fire up the browser I will, occasionally, get the "server not found" message just trying to get to my home page. (Yahoo) The bar at the bottom always says, "Looking up Yahoo" or whatever page I am trying to get to.

There have been times when I have had to exit FF and restart before it would find ANY web pages.

BTW, I am using Zonealarm freebie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....