1.5.0.6 and "Server not found" is still with us

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

So anyone who suspects that the DNS server (or DN server?) is not working well can download that file and run it, and any error messages or timeouts will be displayed. Right?

It will look first for information that is cached by Windows, and if you clear the cache, you can be sure it will have to go to the DNS server to get an IP address. Sweet. Works great.
trolly

Post by trolly »

I hope it helps. I see a "strange" behaviour. If an address is completely unknown it takes up to 2 seconds for a result - at least for me. Once cached it takes only a few milliseconds. If you clear the local cache the time rises to about some 100 milliseconds. The "next" DNS server caches too so once the address is resolved a possible error will not show up anymore. You have to wait until the other DNS caches expire too.

How it works: It simply calls the DNS API getaddressinfo and displays the result, the error code (as text and number) and the amount of time the API call lasts.
pondejim

Post by pondejim »

This "string" has gone quiet. Has the problem been "fixed"??? I still have to re-enter on many occasions.
trolly

Post by trolly »

No, a DNS problem can not be fixed from inside FF and even if it can be fixed it will take some time until a new version is out. As IDontKnow stated the problem went away after he set another DNS.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
pondejim

Post by pondejim »

Hi Guys. I am sure I have fixed my random "server not found" problem. I have un-installed FF version 1.5.0.7 and re-installed version 1.5.0.2. I did not loose my extensions or bookmarks. I did export the bookmarks to floppy in case I lost them, and suggest that also to any who are going to do the same. I downloaded version 1.5.0.2 from the link below, where all versions of FF can be downloaded.
I suggest downloading it to file, to run it later. GO OFF LINE. Un-install the "broken" FF version. Install 1.5.0.2 WHILE OFF LINE, so that during the installation, it does not up-date itself to the current version. With the installation complete, you can then go on line. If you receive notification at any time to a later version 1.5.0.7 being available, exit the window and do not click "download and install". A DNS problem or not within the last 2 versions, I will be happy with the one "that aint broke" until there is a definate fix in a new version. So, I hope it works for you, as it appears to have for me. As I stated before in this thread, is that "it got broken" for me in the up dates after 1.5.0.2

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... /releases/
Last edited by pondejim on September 24th, 2006, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trolly

Post by trolly »

I guess you can wait forever if you want to have an explicit fix for it. As it seems to be a DNS problem, and FF can not control the DNS resolution because it is an OS feature, the only real fix would be choosing a fast DNS server. If it works in an earlier version the "problem" may be a side effect (regression) from another fix and resolving this regression would take literally months. So, as i already said, don't wait for a fix. Search for a fast and free DNS is much faster and easier.
BTW: You just opened several security holes fixed in 1.5.0.7.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

"I downloaded version 1.5.0.2 from filehippo.com, where all versions of FF can be downloaded"
It is safer to download older versions of Fx from the mozilla ftp server:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Yes, please do not point people to other sources for Mozilla files.
James

Post by James »

pondejim wrote:Hi Guys. I am sure I have fixed my random "server not found" problem. I have un-installed FF version 1.5.0.7 and re-installed version 1.5.0.2. I did not loose my extensions or bookmarks. I did export the bookmarks to floppy in case I lost them, and suggest that also to any who are going to do the same. I downloaded version 1.5.0.2 from filehippo.com, where all versions of FF can be downloaded.
I have placed the link below. I suggest downloading it to file, to run it later. GO OFF LINE. Un-install the "broken" FF version. Install 1.5.0.2 WHILE OFF LINE, so that during the installation, it does not up-date itself to the current version. With the installation complete, you can then go on line. If you receive notification at any time to a later version 1.5.0.7 being available, exit the window and do not click "download and install". A DNS problem or not within the last 2 versions, I will be happy with the one "that aint broke" until there is a definate fix in a new version. So, I hope it works for you, as it appears to have for me. As I stated before in this thread, is that "it got broken" for me in the up dates after 1.5.0.2

<del>http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/?954</del>

It may have just been a coincidence that Firefox 1.5.0.2 seems to be working fine for you now and not actually be a fix. Why 1.5.0.2 and not 1.5.0.3/1.5.0.4/1.5.0.5/1.5.0.6 ?

Also as said there is no need to get Firefox versions from some random unofficilal software download site when older versions can always be found at http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... /releases/ or one of the mirrors rather http://www.mozilla.org/mirrors.html

Keep in mind that each 1.5.0.* minor releases are for a reason as in security (with the exception of 1.5.0.5) and some stability fixes so you may be vulnerable to some exploits now by using the old 1.5.0.2 http://www.mozilla.org/projects/securit ... ities.html
pondejim

Post by pondejim »

Sorry. I was un-aware that previous versions were available from Mozilla. I have edited my prior entry. It was pointed out by Trolly and James that by reverting to a previous version, I was leaving a big security hole. Taking that advise, I have read and attatched the release notes on all FF versions. I now totally agree with them, and have the link to that page below. I suggest you read it, as I have now up-dated to the "broken" current version, and will put up with the random "server not found" problem, rather than risk my security. Please disregard my previous suggestion, as I am sure you will, after reading the linked page below.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/securit ... fox1.5.0.7

I have installed the extension "Cache Status 0.7.0"; using it to
monitor and clear the FF cache, appears to reduce the number of "server not found errors". The link to that addon is below. It is a brilliant small programme.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1881/

Why is it that I am not the only one who has started experiencing this problem since about July\August this year????
Maybe it is a big co-incidence. As far as I am aware, I upgraded from 1.5.0.2 to 1.5.0.6 and 1.5.0.7, unless it was done without me knowing.
Last edited by pondejim on September 24th, 2006, 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You CAN edit your previous message.

And while your "solutions" may or may not have done something to solve your problem, they are hazardous. There are exploited vulnerabilities in previous versions, whereas upgrading your DNS service has no downside that I am aware of. There is also an underground industry that is actively exploiting browser vulnerabilities.
pondejim

Post by pondejim »

Thankyou Vanilla, I have edited it and now totally agree, as you can see in by my last posting.
I totally retract my suggestion to run a previous version, but do not retract my statement to this problem being A BIG CO-INCIDENCE.
jeanray2

I am having this problem, too

Post by jeanray2 »

Well, I'm having the same problem, but it actually started with IE. I have clearwire wireless internet and spent a lot of time on the phone with their techs, who had me try all kinds of things. Finally, at their suggestion, I tried downloading Firefox, which I really like, by the way, to see if I had the same problem with it. At first I didn't but then it started again. I'll be online and everything is fine for a while, and then I get the 'server cannot be found' message. I can virtually never get online with IE now, usually I can with Firefox but then lose the connection. Clearwire gave me a new modem and ethernet connection, just in case there was a problem there. Nope, the problem is still occuring. Otherwise, my computer is running fine. No problems with other programs. Any help would be appreciated.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Try to flush the DNS cache:
Start > Run: ipconfig /flushdns <enter>
It could be that the DNS response is too slow and windows caches that negative result.
IDontKnow

Post by IDontKnow »

Hi, I'm back.

I ran the test sequence like this:

Checked 10 sites with Google: no errors.

Reverted to the "bad" original DNS server by deleting the University one.

Ran the Google test, came up with 4 duds:

www.fda.gov

Error: No such host is known. (11001)
Time: 20024.576 ms

www.42explore.com

Time: 15004.292 ms

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Name: www.hollywoodreporter.com
Addr (IPv4): 138.108.56.100
Canonical name: www.hollywoodreporter.com
Time: 0.702 ms

Interesting 2nd try:
Name: www.hollywoodreporter.com
Addr (IPv4): 138.108.56.100
Canonical name: www.hollywoodreporter.com
Time: 3327.474 ms

google.blognewschannel.com

Time: 14053.326 ms

So the entering in the DNS Tool came up with the correct solution. The interesting thing about the 2nd try at hollywoodreporter was that it seemed to take ages, yet came back ok.

Now I flushed the cache.

Somehow, things changed. But only somehow. The first run produced no errors! The 2nd 3 and the subsequent ones the "Normal" ratio of 3-6 errors.

But it was nearly impossible to reproduce with the DNS Tool by Trolly.

jesusphreak.infogami.com

Name: jesusphreak.infogami.com
Addr (IPv4): 72.5.28.205
Canonical name: jesusphreak.infogami.com
Time: 6292.743 ms

archives.cnn.com

Name: archives.cnn.com
Addr (IPv4): 64.236.22.33
Canonical name: archives.cnn.com
Addr (IPv4): 64.236.29.33
Time: 8126.895 ms

http://txtwriter.com

Time: 17243.562 ms

So the times were long and yet came back ok. I'm not sure the txtwriter link isn't really broken. So i can't reproduce anything with the tool, although I still get errors in FF.

Also, FF on 2 occasions completely froze for ~10 secs and then resumed normally, without any error message.

Does this help?