1.5.0.6 and "Server not found" is still with us

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Post by trolly »

Two chances:
- find a better e.g. faster name server like idontknow did
- remove IPv6 support as spaddaddy (see a few posts up).
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
DenBob

Post by DenBob »

Given my limited knowledge as a non-techno-speak layman and end user, of just what the heck it is everyone is talking about, I would guess the best solution for me would be simply to tough it out and wait for the next version of FF.

Surely the problem will be addressed and corrected.

I appreciate the input.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

If you do that, you may be waiting a long time. Both of them fixed the problem without even <i>touching</i> Firefox. Look here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites , sections on DNS and IPv6.
trolly

Post by trolly »

You can try my tool to test your DNS. Take two addresses that does normally do not work on the first attempt. Enter one of them and check "Only IPv4" and click resolve. Test the other with the default settings. If the first address works but not the second the setting Vanilla mentioned should be the solution.

http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/wdnslookup.exe
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Frankly, the advice being given here borders on negligence.

You would rather have average users

1)go into command line and issue flush dns commands
2)download .exe files of unknown legitimacy
3)change their isps

than vote for permanently fixing this Fx network design flaw bug, or even install an extension to retry transient errors.

Absolutely unbelievable.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

That program (wdnslookup.exe) is written by trolly.
Those suggestions can be used to get more insight in the problem as there are many possibilities: a computer misconfiguation or a problem with your ISP.
You can wait until the DNS cache expires or flush the cache yourself.
The cache of the ISP can take a few days to expire so in that case it might help to try another DNS server.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

dickvl wrote:That program (wdnslookup.exe) is written by trolly.
Those suggestions can be used to get more insight in the problem as there are many possibilities: a computer misconfiguation or a problem with your ISP.
You can wait until the DNS cache expires or flush the cache yourself.
The cache of the ISP can take a few days to expire so in that case it might help to try another DNS server.

First, you and I know trolly, that's not the issue, he even contributed code to the bug, and perhaps his dns code should go into Fx.

The issue is having a *general policy* advising, who knows millions, of people to do this as SOP rather than killing off the problem, making Fx smarter.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Alta88 wrote:Frankly, the advice being given here borders on negligence.

...The issue is having a *general policy* advising, who knows millions, of people to do this as SOP rather than killing off the problem, making Fx smarter.

Alta88 just said he wants us to quit giving user support, and he's doing a good job of sabotaging it by complaining and diverting attention. He's also accusing people of not trying to solve a problem because they are also giving user support.

Users who read back in this thread will find that we solved the original poster's problem in spectacular fashion, <i>without even touching the Firefox configuration.</i> All the while Alta88 was kicking and screaming about the "useless advice" we were giving.

If you want to fix the problem, it's usually pretty easy, provided you describe your symptoms carefully and stick to the facts. As for finding and fixing any problem that may exist, yelling doesn't help but careful reporting does.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on October 6th, 2006, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Anyone who suspects a DNS problem should get Trolly's program here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 60#2498860 and read the first two messages on this page: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=449990 . If domain-name lookup turns out to be the problem, you can fix it by replacing your domain-name server.

It's a good program, and I now have it in my bag of diagnostic utilities. Trolly is a moderator here, and another utility program he wrote helped a lot of people diagnose and fix their firewall problems.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on October 6th, 2006, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
spaddaddy

Post by spaddaddy »

An update...

So far not one "server not found" error, Thunderbird connects to IMAP server on the first try, and FF works perfectly. For those with XP, the removal of IPv6 from the network protocol seems to be the solution. It is found under "Start", "Settings", "Network settings", "Local Area Connections", "Properties".

Go into your device manager and see if you have a "tun miniport adapter" with problems. Removal of the IPv6 protocol from your network settings is the answer. Disabling IPv6 support in FF is NOT the solution, as I had already done that.

I am now completely satisfied. =D> :monkey:
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

spaddaddy wrote:...FF works perfectly. For those with XP, the removal of IPv6 from the network protocol seems to be the solution.

Thanks very much Spaddaddy. Once again a DNS problems solved without touching Fx. You are absolutely right, network connections should be handed at the OS or network level if possible.

Maybe you could clarify this for users, though. I don't see any such option on any of my Win XP systems.
spaddaddy

Post by spaddaddy »

Without showing my ignorance TOO badly, there are various protocols associated with a network connection, such as TCP/IP, NetBEUI, IPX, etc. Master Gates has decided that we need a new one, IPv6. Somehow, it gets installed without our knowledge. The indicator seems to be that there is a "tun miniport adapter" showing up under network devices that does not load properly.

Just as under Win98 we had to go into "Network" and install or adjust various protocols for each adapter, under XP Pro (I can't vouch for Home) you have to go into the network properties for the adapter used for the network and REMOVE (uninstall) IPv6 as a protocol.

My limited knowledge fails to see how this is a DNS problem, although the timeout settings would seem to be the most likely area to look. In reality, it's just another Micro$oft glitch.

Last edited by spaddaddy on October 5th, 2006, 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

spaddaddy wrote:The indicator seems to be that there is a "tun miniport adapter" showing up ....

^ Uh, where?

spaddaddy wrote:My limited knowledge fails to see how this is a DNS problem, although the timeout settings would seem to be the most likely area to look. In reality, it's just another Micro$oft glitch.

IPv4 and IPv6 are the two formats for IP addresses. The DNS translates domain names into IP addresses. I think the problem is that sometimes the DNS does not handle IPv6 well. I'm assuming the IPv6 problem is with the domain-name service rather than the routers.
spaddaddy

Post by spaddaddy »

VanillaMozilla wrote:
spaddaddy wrote:The indicator seems to be that there is a "tun miniport adapter" showing up ....

^ Uh, where?

In "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "Hardware", "Device Manager", "Network Adapters".

Still not error #1 since the fix. \:D/
trolly

Post by trolly »

In your first image there is no "tun miniport adapter" or "TCP/IP version 6".