Firefox Locks up on Intel Mac

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
delahaba

Post by delahaba »

Do any of you know the procedure for uninstalling FF2.0 and reinstalling FF1.5 in OS X? Do I simply drag the Firefox Application Icon/Package into the trash, then install 1.5?

I don't want to deal with the crashing anymore, but I still want to use Firefox. :) Also, I enjoy Camino better than Safari. If any of you haven't tried that yet, I suggest giving it a go. :)
Reclaim your RSS feeds.
sd92108

Post by sd92108 »

delahaba wrote:Do any of you know the procedure for uninstalling FF2.0 and reinstalling FF1.5 in OS X? Do I simply drag the Firefox Application Icon/Package into the trash, then install 1.5?

I don't want to deal with the crashing anymore, but I still want to use Firefox. :) Also, I enjoy Camino better than Safari. If any of you haven't tried that yet, I suggest giving it a go. :)

You can simply drag the FF2 application to the trash. If you backed up your library prefs, then restore the original set. That is what I did and all is well with FF1.5 again. If you didn't back up your library prefs, then you may need to recreate new ones if FF2 has disturbed them.

As you might assume, I too have had problems with FF2 freezing or locking on startup. I detest that spinning beach ball. I have an Intel iMac, 2ghz, 512 ram, OS X 10.4.8. I am having no other problem wth any software and FF1.5 seems to be working fine.

Please Mozilla, acknowledge the problem and correct it as soon as possible. Errors like this is just what MS needs to push IE7.
-----------------------
Jim
kstahl

Post by kstahl »

Pushing people into installing IE7 on OSX? That will be hard...
sd92108

Duh on me, lol

Post by sd92108 »

kstahl wrote:Pushing people into installing IE7 on OSX? That will be hard...

Good point! Although I have scanned but not completely read PC posts about problems too. I have tried IE7 using Parallels on my Mac and it seemed competitive. Sufice to say, the problems I had made me go back to a previous version of FF and also finally got me to try Camino, which was actually very impressive.

The best solution will be when Mozilla fixes FF2.
-----------------------
Jim
kstahl

Post by kstahl »

It seems very difficult to replicate this problem properly, as I -- and many other OSX users -- have no problems with crashes. I installed Firefox 2.0 (RC3 -- same as final) on top of my old Firefox 1.5 install and it has worked without a hitch. Maybe it's an extension or plugin issue. I'm only using two, Adblock and Google Browser Sync, how about you?
Slim Shavings

Post by Slim Shavings »

My install was just a simple download and install. I use no add ins or extensions that I know of. I only have google toolbar that someone mentioned.
kstahl

Post by kstahl »

I think I remember someone muttering about Google Toolbar. Does Firefox still hang if you disable that addon?
Lost User 232697

Post by Lost User 232697 »

Same problem here. Firefox 2.0 + Macbook = freezes. The install on my Windows laptop seems to work fine. command option esc is getting a lot of exercise.
sd92108

Post by sd92108 »

The best I can summarize is that the hangs/freezes are happening in Intel based Macs. FF2 checks your extensions on first run and auto-disables any not compatible with FF2. I have tried it with many different configs, with google, without, with extensions and completely clean and it hangs frequently. I am back to FF1.5 and would be using Camino if it could block more ads.
-----------------------
Jim
Al - Factor

Firefox Locks up on Intel Mac

Post by Al - Factor »

What a huge disappointment. Loving the new features but back to FF 1.5 for now.

I am on a new MacBook Pro, 2Gb Ram, OS X 10.4.8 .
kstahl

Post by kstahl »

Might be bug 353962.

(Don't spam the bug, please.)
Lost User 232697

This appears to be caused by the Google toolbar add-on. After removing the Google toolbar, per suggestion by another poster on these forums, Firefox is not freezing anymore. Can anyone else verify this?
sd92108

Post by sd92108 »

undoIT wrote:This appears to be caused by the Google toolbar add-on. After removing the Google toolbar, per suggestion by another poster on these forums, Firefox is not freezing anymore. Can anyone else verify this?

Can you refresh my memory by what you mean by "remove" the Google Toolbar? Do you mean just remove it visually from the menu bars or can it actually be deleted some how?
-----------------------
Jim
kstahl

Post by kstahl »

I think he means the addon, not the built in search.
Lost User 232697

Yeah. You need to uninstall the addon. I've contacted google toolbar team about this.