mouseover event appears to not fire (click & drag)

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
tony23

mouseover event appears to not fire (click & drag)

Post by tony23 »

If this has been discussed, please direct me to the discussion - I have spent the last two days searching for info on this and have found almost nothing.

For reference, please see the test case at http://members.dslextreme.com/users/tony23/drag.htm

Mouse over the yellow divs on the left, to see the expected behavior.

Now, go to the top blue div on the right, and "click & drag" from there to the yellow divs (to insure clarity, I mean: press the mouse button while on the blue div then move the mouse to the yellow divs without releasing the button). In all test cases so far, (Tried on at least 6 machines, all with different profiles & even different versions), the mouseover event appears to not fire - the brighter yellow does not show up.

Click & drag from the second blue div, and you should see the brighter yellow of the mouseover. The same for the third.

The differences in the blue divs are this: the first one has text inside AND overflow:auto, the second has text inside & overflow not set, the third has no text and overflow:auto.

It appears that when you click on the div with overflow:auto AND text inside, it prevents mouseover events on OTHER divs from firing.

This holds true for both FF 1.5 and FF 2.0, and so far, can be reproduced with 100% consistency.

I have not been able to find any workaround or fix, and I can't find a bug in bugzilla regarding this specific issue. So:

1) Is this a known issue, and if so, does anyone know the bug #?
2) Does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Moving to Web Development...
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

"Moving to Web Development..."

May I inquire as to the reason, given that I am reporting a bug in Firefox?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Because sometimes they aren't bugs, and this is the forum that more of the web developers hang out. Just because something doesn't work as expected, doesn't necessarily make it a bug.

If someone else comes by with a bug number, I'll be more than happy to move it back to Firefox bugs. Fair enough?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

"If someone else comes by with a bug number, I'll be more than happy to move it back to Firefox bugs. Fair enough?"

Fair enough - but what if this particular bug hasn't been reported yet? I searched in bugzilla first, but found no mention of it. However, I will grant that I'm used to searching through a few thousand bug reports, not a few HUNDRED thousand! I spent two days searching everything I could regarding Firefox and mousdown / mouseover events, and came up with nothing. That's when I decided to post.

As for whether this is or is not a bug:
First, is it only a bug if it's reported? Would it have been more appropriate for me to make the report on bugzilla instead of the forum first?

Also, I truly fail to see how this would not be a bug. As a developer myself, I often echo your sentiment "Just because something doesn't work as expected, doesn't necessarily make it a bug.", but there are times that the 'unexpected' behavior is clearly a bug. This seems to be one to me. Could you please help me understand?

PS - I know that tone doesn't come across well in writing like this, so please understand that I'm not intending to be difficult or get an attitude - but I really am trying to be constructive here. It's obvious that I'm missing something...
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I understand your point. Let's see if someone else knows if this is a bug or not.

In all actuality though, this forum is a place where people can discuss bugs or potential bugs. But, the real place to report them is https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ . I would encourage you to write a very succinct description of your bug, with a minimal test case to point out the flawed behavior, do as thorough a search as possible at the link above, and if you don't find anything, get yourself an account and report it. People there will definitely know if it is a bug and hopefully it will be fixed.

Also, please take a look at the current "nightly" builds and see if your bug (or unexpected behavior :) ) still happens there. The developers have made significant strides and changes to the underlying engine, and it's possible the behavior has been corrected.

Finally, and I say this because it is required for bug checking, make sure your code completely validates against the w3c standards. Their validator can be found here:
http://validator.w3.org/

I too am not trying to be difficult. I felt the best place for you to get an answer or response was in this forum (Web Development).
jqp

Post by jqp »

What's more important is that when you click and drag (i.e. select text) from "blue div 1" to "blue div 2", Firefox only allows you to select stuff in "blue div 1", the selection never goes beyond "blue div 1" (I hope that makes sense.)

The the whole mouseover issue with the divs on the left is secondary to that.

WFM in Konqueror.

Probably should be filed as a bug. I think the bug report should focus more on the issue with selecting text instead of the issue with mouseover events - the latter is probably a side effect of the former.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

smsmith wrote:I understand your point. Let's see if someone else knows if this is a bug or not.
<snip>
I too am not trying to be difficult. I felt the best place for you to get an answer or response was in this forum (Web Development).

Thanks - that does help, and I will follow up with a bug report (after checking the most recent build, as suggested).
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

When you do file the bug report, please post the link here. If you want, I'll move this back to bugs for you.
Bushwack

Post by Bushwack »

The text selection issue looks like bug #347886.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

The mousedown/mouseover issue that I was reporting appears to be bug #339293, which seems to describe exactly the same problem - only the original reporter mentions the DIVs having a parent/child relationship. I have added a comment with a link to my test page and a note that the bug still appears to be valid.

As of the latest build of Seamonkey (I just downloaded it today: May 5), this problem still exists. One aspect has changed, though (that I mentioned on my comment) - In Firefox 2.0, If you mousedown on the DIV with no text, then mouseover the yellow divs, the mouseover event fires correctly. In the latest build (both Seamonkey and Minefield), the mouseover does NOT fire.

Moderator: Request that this be moved either back to Firefox Bugs or to Seamonkey Bugs, as there is now an associated bug ticket. Thank you.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

Interesting discovery:

While trying to do a workaround for this, I noticed that the problem also occurs with overflow:hidden.

So I tried a little test, which you can see at http://members.dslextreme.com/users/tony23/scrollx.htm

The floating DIV that appears when you mousedown on the list indicates the ID of the div firing the mouseover event. If you mousedown on the list and drag down, you will see that the HIDDEN divs are firing mouseover events - but nothing outside the containing div fires the mouseovers.

This also occurs for overflow:scroll, and if overflow-x or overflow-y are set to hidden, auto, or scroll.