Firefox shuts down/closes unexpectedly

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
ejmpjr

Firefox shuts down/closes unexpectedly

Post by ejmpjr »

Since I downloaded newest version of Firefox several months ago, at odd times, sometimes once, sometimes more than once a day, sometimes a few days in between, Firefox will shut down or close unexpectedly. When it does it gives those exact phrases. "Firefox has shut down unexpectedly" or "Firefox has closed down unexpectedly". With previous versions or download updates over the last couple of years I have not had any problems. This has been very frustrating. Please advise!

ejmpjr
schapel

Post by schapel »

chamcham

Post by chamcham »

I have the same problem.

I found that disabling Javascript gets rid of the problem.

It happens with specific websites, I think. For me, it happened with
the same site. Turning off Javascript solves the problem. But turning it
back on makes it come back.

This sucks, since it forces me to run Gmail in basic HTML mode.
schapel

Post by schapel »

You should read the article I linked to above. As for Gmail crashing, people are reporting that removing Adblock will fix the crash.
sostpm

firefox 2.0.0.4 crashes unexpectedly and frequently

Post by sostpm »

I am running W2K pro with IE7. Have had no problems until the latest firefox download. FF has been mostly apparently error free until now. I do have a number of add-ons.
I thought by running FF in safe mode and then disabling the add-ons, I could trace if it were an add-on problem. The error still occurs almost always within 5 mins.

I believe the crash may be a 'false crash'. When the popup window appears, I move it aside and continue working as if nothing happened. It's still pretty annoying though.
I noted in this forum that Javascript, Ad-block were 2 possible suspects.
Add-ons that I have:
Colorful Tabs 2.0.3
Firebug 1.05
Groowe Search Toolbar 1.5.5
IE Tab 1.3.3
IE View 1.3.3
Skype Extension 2.2.0.7.0
Total Validator 4.0

I hate to admit it but I am running IE7 to make this post entry.
Help me get back to a baseline Firefox 2.xxx that works!!
schapel

Post by schapel »

What does the popup say? If Firefox continues running, it definitely isn't a crash.
goa103

Post by goa103 »

I'm not sure my shutdown problem is related to yours but here we go :
When I shutdown my system, it automatically exits opened application so I'm not manually exiting the browser. And when I boot up the browse reports it hasn't been properly shutdown.

Note that the browser doesn't crash. It only happens at first start, after booting up my system.
schapel

Post by schapel »

That sounds like <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=212316">bug 212316</a>: Firefox doesn't cleanly unload when restarting Windows. I'm assuming you're using Windows?
goa103

Post by goa103 »

schapel wrote:That sounds like <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=212316">bug 212316</a>: Firefox doesn't cleanly unload when restarting Windows. I'm assuming you're using Windows?

Thanks I have just voted for it and added a comment as my actual result is a bit different.