site probs

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
unikum

site probs

Post by unikum »

I cant get the navigation bar to work on www.letsplaychess.com. Same problem with Mozilla.
IE and Opera works fine though.

Any ideas what to do?
I really want to use Phoenix as my default browser :)
michal017

Post by michal017 »

http://www.letsplaychess.com/chessclubs/asplogin.asp looks the same in Opera and Phoenix.. and there's not navigation bar..
unikum

Post by unikum »

Well it is for me in Opera.

anyone else?
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Using Phoenix or Opera 6.05 I don't get a navbar.
Using IE 6.01 I do.

If I turn on spoofing in Opera (making it say I use IE 5) I do get a very broken navbar.

I would say it's a good example of a crappy webpage.
They are litteraly shuting out non IE browsers for reasons of incompentence.
michal017

Post by michal017 »

Stefan wrote:If I turn on spoofing in Opera (making it say I use IE 5) I do get a very broken navbar.
I would say it's a good example of a crappy webpage.
They are litteraly shuting out non IE browsers for reasons of incompentence.

exactly..
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

The reason why it can't work in Mozilla/Phoenix is that the navbar is built using document.layers (NS 4.x) and document.all (IE 4+ and partially some versions of Opera). So they do support some non-IE browsers, they're from the last century though :wink:
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

laszlo wrote:The reason why it can't work in Mozilla/Phoenix is that the navbar is built using document.layers (NS 4.x) and document.all (IE 4+ and partially some versions of Opera). So they do support some non-IE browsers, they're from the last century though :wink:

The problem isn't just that they use invalid DOM, it's also that they do their browerchecking in a bad way.
Instead of checking the browser version or appname they should check if the current browser supports a specific feature eg <b>if (document.all)</b>.
That would eg alow Opera (and possibly other browsers) to work resonably WITHOUT spoofing it's identity.

Besides, having a JS navbar withot providing proper backup with noscripttags is very stupid. It can make the site fail to work even in IE.

This about as bad as it gets in regard to navbars on sites and shows that they person(s) making the page had very little knowledge about making webpages.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Stefan wrote:The problem isn't just that they use invalid DOM, it's also that they do their browerchecking in a bad way.
Instead of checking the browser version or appname they should check if the current browser supports a specific feature eg <b>if (document.all)</b>.
That would eg alow Opera (and possibly other browsers) to work resonably WITHOUT spoofing it's identity.

Did you look at the source? I guess not. They do it by object checking (at least that's something they get right). The problem with Opera is that some versions have partial support for document.all, which makes a mere check for document.all difficult.

The basic problem is that they're using 4 years old code that should get rewritten as soon as possible.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

laszlo wrote:Did you look at the source? I guess not.

No that actually made Phoenix hang, and I didn't bother to try again. (Yes I'm lazy :D )
But what you say does seem a bit weird cosidering Opera 6.05 only got a navbar with IE spoofing.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Stefan wrote:

No that actually made Phoenix hang, and I didn't bother to try again. (Yes I'm lazy :D )
But what you say does seem a bit weird cosidering Opera 6.05 only got a navbar with IE spoofing.

I wondered about this myself. Could it be that Opera monitors what you set as user agent and only supports document.all when set as IE? No... That'd be something I'd call weird... :twisted:
Last edited by laszlo on November 12th, 2002, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

laszlo wrote:
Stefan wrote:

I wondered about this myself. Could it be that Opera monitors what you set as user agent and only supports document.all when set as IE? That would be weird... :twisted:

Indeed. Could possibly explain some of the weirdness in it's DOM-model though :/
Guess I have to try that out sometime or see if I find something on the Opera forums.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Tried it under latest Opera 7.0 beta 1 and it is properly displayed (even the NavBar).
Athlon XP 1800+
A7V333 mobo
512MB DDR RAM
GeForce2 MX 400