Firefox can still erase a hard drive

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Firefox can still erase a hard drive

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I'd appreciate it if you'd all go down and vote for this bug, seeing as how the arguments for not fixing it are circular.
Bug 434073 – Firefox can erase an entire hard drive by mistake
Please don't add comments, though, unless you plan on helping to fix it, or you have new information to add. This has been a VERY touchy subject, and we don't want these guys to dig in their heels again. Thanks.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Voted....

Confirmed with Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008051604 Minefield/3.0pre

It took the whole folder.....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Two hours to dupe it against an "invalid" bug. Trying to get it reopened on narrow grounds. These guys are tough nuts. It's a little like dealing with the legal system, except that I need to persuade them to do something.
steviex

Post by steviex »

*Sigh* At least you tried..... :crazyeyes: ](*,)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

We saved a lot of users from serious data loss and the Moz. guys from a lot of bad publicity. And they don't even know or care. The Internet was blue with people screaming about data loss. If there's a next time, I swear I'm not going to bother.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on May 16th, 2008, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SK.

Post by SK. »

I noticed at least two arrogant SOB's in the referenced bugs, both of which appear to have been closed because "The profile manager is not designed for "simple home users", who should normally never see it. Still INVALID (or WONTFIX)."

Bull.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

There have been a lot of bug reports on this, for years. I'm considering filing to remove mention of the Profile Manager from SUMO. It's up to them to figure out how to support users. But then I may just go away. It's tough to take.
steviex

Post by steviex »

So.... If a user's profile gets messed up, they are not supposed to use the Profile Manager to make a new one to see if the error is corrected ???

I think we should add to the Profile Manager KB article, not to touch the Remove File Button at any cost.....

Maybe this button should be removed from the UI .. This would fix the problem :)

SK.

Post by SK. »

VanillaMozilla:

I understand
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

steviex wrote:Maybe this button should be removed from the UI .. This would fix the problem :)

Not a bad idea, actually. You could try. They wouldn't add a warning, but they might agree to remove a button.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

VanillaMozilla, {I voted for both those Bugs.}

What about the action of the 3.0 un-installer, regarding data loss similar to those two bugs? The "Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations" doesn't just remove the 3.0 Profile, it entirely deletes the Mozilla folder in \Application Data\ , entirely wiping the profiles.ini file and every Firefox Profile.

What happens if the user has SeaMonkey 1.x installed, and they decide to "Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations"?
Every damn SeaMonkey Profile and the profiles.ini file is wiped, because those are in the \App Data\Mozilla\ folder. SeaMonkey 2.0 will have its' own folder set under \App Data\SeaMonkey\ instead being side-by-side with the \Firefox\ folder in the \App Data\Mozilla\ folder.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... e_location
What are they thinking?
Don't the Firefox developers think that a user might have more than one Mozilla browser installed?
Bug filed.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=434123

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I put my 2 cents worth of Votes in
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
steviex

Post by steviex »

Added my idea to the original bug, and linked back here and to Ed's bug... Voted for Ed's bug too....

VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Good job, Ed. I'd confirm it and put in my vote too, but maybe better if someone else does it. They may be tired of me. Let me know if it doesn't get confirmed after a few days.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Voted. ;)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)